Why YouTuber Logan Paul can't put his camera down

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you've ever suffered 5 minutes of Youtube Kids, your "algorithm" statement is completely correct.  Watch Sonic the Hedgehog drive Lightning Mcqueen off a skyscraper 1500 feet onto a farting velociraptor with breasts and Don Johnson loafers...  while "Daddy Finger" repeats in the background. 

I kind of hate that social media has given literally everyone a voice when I see Logan Paul as an example.  -Since feeling special and accepted is an ingrained part of every human being's natural make-up, social media, Youtube, etc.. - keeps us buried in our phones, constantly seeking value in "likes" and whatever trivial bullshit virtual currency there is.  It's a breeding ground for ill-advised priorities and narcissism.   Even if it’s just subscribing, you’re piggy backing a sense of community for the almighty motive - attention.  Everything is literally based on attention.  It drives the motive of most media "outrage" these days with a voice that says "Judge this motherf---er.  It's trendy."   or some idiot's default response to go full LiveLeak on a dead body.  

F'king Nightcrawler.  He's done. 

Any good documentary maker would likely keep on filming too. Many war corespondents will of course tell tales of exactly the same situation, where they couldn't put the camera down but had to pick it up to capture the story even under horrible circumstances (often quite the reverse, as the more horrible it is, the more important it is they report on it!).
Now of course Logan Paul isn't a doco maker, he is a "YouTuber". 
But in a way, that is kinda sort of the "same thing"? As a vlogger he is making a mini documentary, every single day

Look on the upside perhaps? He is bringing more attention to Japan's terribly high suicide rates, maybe will do his tiny part in helping open a discussion to do something about it. 

Oh, and as for censorship, I don't believe in any of that. "We don't have free speech to talk about the weather".

53 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Any good documentary maker would likely keep on filming too. Many war corespondents will of course tell tales of exactly the same situation, where they couldn't put the camera down but had to pick it up to capture the story even under horrible circumstances (often quite the reverse, as the more horrible it is, the more important it is they report on it!).
But in a way, that is kinda sort of the "same thing"? As a vlogger he is making a mini documentary, every single day

Look on the upside perhaps? He is bringing more attention to Japan's terribly high suicide rates, maybe will do his tiny part in helping open a discussion to do something about it. 

Oh, and as for censorship, I don't believe in any of that. "We don't have free speech to talk about the weather".

Bullshit. 

Laughing at a dead body for views is not a beneficial way to raise awareness of suicide rates, and Logan Paul's vlogs constantly cross outside of the ethical boundaries of documentary filmmaking, so he can't be defended under those terms either. Seen as a journalist, he is lower than a joke. 

Censorship? It's not censorship to reject an entertainer who was violated the trust and morality of the community. If he was a TV star, this would lose him his job. Sponsors etc pulling out isn't censorship... "it' s just business." 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

I don’t think you are getting the point Andrew is making. It is not about censorship, it is about egoism, greed and lack of decency.

It is not plausible that L.P.’s intention was to bring more attention to the high suicide rates, it is rather obvious that he wanted to bring more attention to himself.

War correspondents do not laugh in their videos, as far as I know. Also, even war correspondents sometimes cross the line and exploit situations and it still isn’t right just because it is their profession.

21 minutes ago, tomekk said:

Hmm, my techniques for avoiding certain social media's content must be working. I've never heard of him before your blog post.

I was a bit shocked when I realised last week that my GF had never heard of Logan Paul, seeing as she spends most of her free time on YouTube!

It is the continuation of the same old story of content quantity over quality. As video content gets more accessible to creators and consumers, the average quality of consumed media spirals. As our interactions move into digital platforms more and more (social media), we consume the short video content that pollutes our feeds. It happened before (and still does) with shitty TV shows, which can also consume your free time. Take the time to step outside, away from the screens (and ignore your phone). Turn on your screen with intent or just see your movies at the cinema.

us being born at internet BC and our kids being born with the internet as a "nanny" at internet A.D., my son doesn't watch tv. I have limited his access to youtube after the daddy finger crossover Dino crossover Lighting mcqueen autism inducing videos drive him insane as mentioned above. We filter the crazy, its sad that the next generations view these things as tame. Not at all shocking anymore

8 hours ago, Germy1979 said:

If you've ever suffered 5 minutes of Youtube Kids, your "algorithm" statement is completely correct.  Watch Sonic the Hedgehog drive Lightning Mcqueen off a skyscraper 1500 feet onto a farting velociraptor with breasts and Don Johnson loafers...  while "Daddy Finger" repeats in the background. 

7 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Let’s stop speaking all over the web about this joker, that would be a good start.

Now he became even more famous thanks to media and bloggers posting about him, even if it is negative on him like on your article.

Reminds me of US elections.....

I aggree but there is something we can do, there is a pettition to delete his Youtube channel i have already signed it. 

https://www.change.org/p/youtube-delete-logan-paul-s-youtube-channel 

I agree totally with Andrew.

Things are more likely to change if those with ethical standards and values delete their own YouTube channels. It’s taking the moral high ground to appreciate that censorship isn’t the solution (ie banning someone else) but, rather, to state by action that “we” want nothing to do with it and leave. 

The line between genuine human tragedy and entertainment seems to have dissolved in a sea of mediocrity.

My step-daughter lives on Youtube and the content she watches is almost incomprehensible beyond belief. She see's this as quality, enjoyable content and respects the creators for their work. One or two things are ok. 

This is also in a time where there's been Trumps and Brexits - people are generally very vulnerable to message in media content, especially if you're a child or as thick as pig sh*t. 

I do agree that quality, content rich media is being massively clouded by the mass of absolutely crap, attention seeking videos with nothing substantial to offer. It is a problem for talented creators. 

YouTube, social media and the web in general is still at the stage of being a world-wide social experiment of which no-one (or their kids) asked to be the subjects and that's controlled not by scientists but by corporations whose only duty is to their shareholders. And we wonder why the whole shit house is going up in flames.

"Ethics" and "moral standards" are tossed around the article as if there are any. Everyone has an opinion about what should or shouldn't happen, but no one is willing to own up to an actual objective standard of morality with which to base said opinions. With no objective moral standard, who can really say Paul is wrong? You can't. I mean, you can, but not with any soundness to your position. With no moral foundation, none of you are right, or wrong.

The 20th century was all about eliminating objective morality. The 21st century is living with the consequences.

I used to think the way Andrew thought.  Have I become jaded, misguided, scared of the truth?  I feel the same way, but...

There's amazing content on YouTube now that was impossible to produce/see 10 years ago.  I find it sadder that many people aren't familiar with this amazing content, than the fact of "snuff" types of videos on YT (that's what they called similar stuff in my day).  For example, our own @Mattias Burling videos, @DaveAltizer,ColdFusion, Wendover Productions, Ave, Curious Droid, Sean Tucker, Red Means Recording--I could go on and on.  YT has got it more right, than wrong.

@Chrad makes the point that there IS a problem with suicide in Japan (and the U.S. with vets) which is a problem bigger than the ethical standards of any YouTuber or the Alphabet Corporation.  How does society learn about these problems, or guage their significance or scale?  If YouTube were able to block these kinds of videos would anyone ever get emotional about the problem?  I doubt it, it would just be another statistic.  Keep in mind, I am NOT CONDONING the vlogger's behavior, only pointing out that when you stand back, society works in weird ways.  He may have sent the message to get more viewers, but who ever send a message without some self-interest?  I've met no one.  I used to think I was above it, I'm not.   So I always try to focus on the biggest problem, not any self-interest.  The biggest problem is suicide.  The vlogger was society's weird way of having it put under people's noses.

Think about it, we're all as guilty as the vlogger in doing nothing about the problem--at least I do nothing, but talk.

Until the bigger problems are fixed first, I want information to flow freely, not matter how distasteful it may be.  All sources are biased and society still works in mysterious ways.