Panasonic To Announce GH5 Variant In January

DBounce

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

Well, if that's you preference the GH5 is currently available:grin:

For myself I see this thing as a dedicated video camera, not a hybrid. I will use it as such. I am leaning towards the G9 as a hybrid. GH5... baabye

Your comment does not make sense. Who on earth said a video camera should not have IBIS? 
FACT is GH5 is a small and light camera that shakes a lot. for VIDEO use, IBIS is a great feature. It's a big miss on the GH5S. Period. Now if you do not need IBIS good for you, but do not say it is normal to not have IBIS because it is a video camera. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Your comment does not make sense. Who on earth said a video camera should not have IBIS? 
FACT is GH5 is a small and light camera that shakes a lot. for VIDEO use, IBIS is a great feature. It's a big miss on the GH5S. Period. Now if you do not need IBIS good for you, but do not say it is normal to not have IBIS because it is a video camera. 

I think we have to very different kinds of shooters here (very very rough stereotyping here, don't shoot me!):

Ultra low budget shooters / event shooters / stealth docos / etc  vs filmmakers. 

The first type are often shooting with nothing but the camera and a lens, so IBIS is a pure godsend for them!

For the second type, to use a gimbal (or slider, or dolly, or tripod, or monopod, or whatever!) is completely normal everyday business for them, and they don't see what is the big fuss about losing IBIS when Panasonic is giving us all these wonderful goodies!

28 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Don’t think Arri, Red or BM have IBIS. So for a cinema camera... Anywho, fortunately I own a tripod and a gimbal. Low light when shooting indoors in more problematic for me.

IBIS has been a blessing and a curse for me, personally. The freedom of shooting handheld has opened up many possibilities for certain productions. I can be light, nimble, and unobtrusive. On the other hand, sometimes having a camera on sticks gets people out of your way at events and overall puts out a more serious aura. 

6 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Low light when shooting indoors in more problematic for me.

Same here. I have several cameras with IBIS; I'm happy to soon have one that performs well in low light.

48 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I think we have to very different kinds of shooters here (very very rough stereotyping here, don't shoot me!):

Ultra low budget shooters / event shooters / stealth docos / etc  vs filmmakers. 

The first type are often shooting with nothing but the camera and a lens, so IBIS is a pure godsend for them!

For the second type, to use a gimbal (or slider, or dolly, or tripod, or monopod, or whatever!) is completely normal everyday business for them, and they don't see what is the big fuss about losing IBIS when Panasonic is giving us all these wonderful goodies!

Again, I have to disagree. I sit between the 2 IronFilm. I own and use a good gimbal. However: 
- ON the gimbal, IBIS is a godsend cause it clears all micro vibration that you have even on a good gimbal WHEN running

- And sometimes it is very good to not use the gimbal (high altitude mountain trek, climbing,...) 

43 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Don’t think Arri, Red or BM have IBIS. So for a cinema camera... Anywho, fortunately I own a tripod and a gimbal. Low light when shooting indoors in more problematic for me.

Sorry I did not know a GH5 body form factor was to be compared with an Arri. Those camera have different applications. Plus on the stabilisation side, they are heavy so tipically you do not see shake in the footage with camera on your shoulder. Not the case with a GH5S handheld because of low weight. 

Again guys. You do not need IBIS no problem. But DO NOT say they are 2 categories of people and that people who need a GH5S or real filmakers do not need IBIS. This is non sense and completely false. 

Completely agree with this article (oh surprise, from a filmmaker...) http://philipbloom.net/blog/gh5s/

22 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

(...)

Completely agree with this article (oh surprise, from a filmmaker...) http://philipbloom.net/blog/gh5s/

Well, I wouldn't say GH5s "has 4K DCI 50p/60p at 10 bit " as he is pretty inaccurate to miss the full specs spreadsheet or information supplied by that interview. I bet he is more out of range on the whole thing this time. When we (as much as he does) see others such as Andrew to be invited for the party instead.

There are not opinions, but (only) opinion makers ;-) 

17 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Again, I have to disagree. I sit between the 2 IronFilm. I own and use a good gimbal. However: 
- ON the gimbal, IBIS is a godsend cause it clears all micro vibration that you have even on a good gimbal WHEN running

- And sometimes it is very good to not use the gimbal (high altitude mountain trek, climbing,...) 

Sorry I did not know a GH5 body form factor was to be compared with an Arri. Those camera have different applications. Plus on the stabilisation side, they are heavy so tipically you do not see shake in the footage with camera on your shoulder. Not the case with a GH5S handheld because of low weight. 

Again guys. You do not need IBIS no problem. But DO NOT say they are 2 categories of people and that people who need a GH5S or real filmakers do not need IBIS. This is non sense and completely false. 

He doesn’t like m4/3 because of the crop factor but if the GH5s is 1.86x like the GH2 then it’s pretty close to canons 1.6x crop with their APS-C. 

1 hour ago, mat33 said:

He doesn’t like m4/3 because of the crop factor but if the GH5s is 1.86x like the GH2 then it’s pretty close to canons 1.6x crop with their APS-C. 

Yeah, I was not criticizing M43, but speaking about the IBIS step back and as he says, the $2500 GH5s should have it. 

2 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Yeah, I was not criticizing M43, but speaking about the IBIS step back and as he says, the $2500 GH5s should have it. 

I was meaning PB doesn’t like m4/3 ?, but yeah the GH5s highlight roll off is going to have to be as sweet as apple pie to justify the $$$

11 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Ah yes sure, I won't disagree there, the world is not B&W. And there are many shades of grey in between. 

But I was just giving it as an explanation of the two sides there are  here which can show why people can view this GH5S release so very differently.

11 hours ago, jonpais said:

GH5s - Best of CES 2018!

It should be!! :-D

Anyone seen anything better at CES this year??

12 hours ago, mat33 said:

It gets to be so close, you're not quite splitting hairs, but you're certainly splitting twigs! ha

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

And it's not even April 1st yet, lol xD Actually, that's pretty genius. But it isn't very run-n-gun friendly... although... we might see user mods!

0gVukQT.jpg

That chair thingy is not really a bad idea for static shots like you implied. But the weight limit is pretty small for most men, at least in the United States it is.