Panasonic To Announce GH5 Variant In January

DBounce

My immediate thoughts on the Panasonic GH5S is: *FINALLY* the first stills camera with TC I/O!

2 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

10mp is more than enough for a stills camera even with large prints.

The Megapixel Wars are finally over!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
49 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Well let’s be honest, at 10.2mp if shooting stills, you would want a higher resolution anyway. This is a one trick pony, not a hybrid... regardless of the form factor.

? I was speaking about IBIS removal. I am fine with 10mp. As you say it is a video camera. Small video mirrorless should have IBIS, that's mainly a video feature.

For me doing hand held with the excellent Sigma 18-35mm really needs IBIS, and AF improvements looks minor (too early to tell, but still). I will probably pass on the GH5s, but will be interesting to see how much the image quality is improved.

I applaud Panasonic for all the improvements they have done, pushing the competition especially on features, framerates, codecs etc.

BUT i "fear" Sony will realease the A7S III, with "barely" good enough codec and framerates, still it will (likely) have superior AF and IBIS. And that might be the tipping point for many, including me. Will be interesting to see..

56 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

? I was speaking about IBIS removal. I am fine with 10mp. As you say it is a video camera. Small video mirrorless should have IBIS, that's mainly a video feature.

I'd go and say it's actually more of a stills feature (to go low shutterspeed without camerashake effects). But I nontheless agree. However, this isn't your ordinary mirrorless camera. It might not be a pocket or a micro, but it sorta is a compact cinema camera. Something we haven't seen in the Panasonic line-up. Something to finally gap the bridge between the GH range itself (and preserving your MFT ecosystem) and their VariCam line-up as well as a Blackmagic, RED, Sony FS, Canon C, etc camera that will set you back thousands of bucks! For that it doesn't actually do any uncompressed stuff, but alas.

3 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

IBIS really is something I wouldn't go without in a dslr style body, id rather the ibis over lowlight 

Well, if that's you preference the GH5 is currently available:grin:

For myself I see this thing as a dedicated video camera, not a hybrid. I will use it as such. I am leaning towards the G9 as a hybrid. GH5... baabye

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

The question is, how good does the internal 10bit look. DR is what the GH5 lacks. Can it be a non issue?
If so its a winner. Ibis, schmibis...

I've used my BMPCC (DNG) in the office for WORK, "photographing" clients and then printing them. 

1 hour ago, Don Kotlos said:

I am disappointed for the lack of IBIS as well but I use a Starvis sensor on a machine vision camera at work and it gets really hot. We have to use a lot of heat sinks to get the noise low enough so I understand the need with the GH5s to be mounted on a huge heat sink instead of floating around. 

THAT was valueable info. Thanks, Don.

8 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Wrote up a blog post sharing my thoughts about the Panasonic GH5S, and my excitement about it being the first stills camera with true timecode capabilities:

http://ironfilm.co.nz/leaked-the-specs-of-the-panasonic-gh5s-finally-we-get-the-first-stills-camera-with-timecode-i-o/

The GH5 has TC

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1252486/Panasonic-Dc-Gh5.html?page=169

Suddenly all the Canon C, all the Canon dSLRs and mirrorless, all the Nikon cameras ever created, all the Fuji's, all the JVC's, most of Sony and Panasonic until a year or 2 ago, all the cam corders and the cinema cameras, suddenly are useless, because they do not have IBIS, and do not shot on 12800ISO..

I shake my head in disbelief. 

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

I mean, the GH4 had it... with the YAGH brick thingamajig. Didn't the E-M1/5 Mark II have something along the lines of timecode as well?

Ahhhh true... kinda forgot about that. 

OOPS!

But I'm going to excuse myself out of this by saying it "doesn't count" ;-)  :glasses:

Because that was a very very VERY wonky set up. Needs external power. And most importantly of all... needed an extra purchase! The GH5S doesn't, it has a timecode input built right into the camera itself! (with yet another weird new connection...  but that is nothing new for us soundies! ha)

Oh, and Olympus has never ever ever had this. (be very interested though if you prove me wrong!)

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Nope! Not in any normal sense of "TC" in terms of production use. 

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Suddenly all the Canon C, all the Canon dSLRs and mirrorless, all the Nikon cameras ever created, all the Fuji's, all the JVC's, most of Sony and Panasonic until a year or 2 ago, all the cam corders and the cinema cameras, suddenly are useless, because they do not have IBIS, and do not shot on 12800ISO..

I shake my head in disbelief. 

Of course they are not useless... It is just that some new technologies like IBIS are extremely useful for specific applications. For low budget productions (a market where the Lumix line thrives), features like IBIS do make a world of a difference while shooting in tight spaces and in tight schedules. GH5 is the reason i am enjoying shooting handheld again after many years, plus i can finally drink 1-2 espressos before work...

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The question is, how good does the internal 10bit look. DR is what the GH5 lacks. Can it be a non issue?
If so its a winner. Ibis, schmibis...

Personally, for stills, I couldn't live without something at least 16mp and I would say  that I often NEED the full 24mp that my sony sensor delivers.

Not so much that I am using the full 24mp image when printing.

But I am often cropping severely, either to zoom in or because I photographing an architectural subject and need to emulate a tilt shift lens, and hence I am getting way too much foreground that needs to be cropped later.

Also, I don't think personally for stills I would want to do without ibis. I often put the camera on a tripod, set the self timer for five seconds and then hold both the tripod and camera over my head if I need to shoot above a crowd (or a car or van parked in front of a subject I am photographing).

But different horses for different... people. I am sure that some folks will get by fine with a 10MP camera with no IBIS. For me, that would make my limited photography skills even more challenged :(

Agree though that the dynamic range might make a lot of people interested (or ininterested) in this camera.