Panasonic To Announce GH5 Variant In January

DBounce

Yeah, the whole thing just seems odd. It would have made more sense not to name it GH5 at all and go with a different Gxx name but now I’m confused if this is a cine camera or a hybrid. Should I be annoyed if it doesn’t have ibis? Should it export raw or shoot internally on ProRes? Is it not a cinema oriented model because it is putting too much emphasis on lowlight and traditionally cinema cameras need aren’t the best in lowlight.

I don’t know... I just don’t know...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, I must say that the timing of the GH5s is quite frankly just weird. This couldn’t have been an afterthought and it must have been planned for at least a year, so why release it so soon after the GH5?

GH5 has been around for a while now. They've even released a G9!

When you look at the tight timings of the a7 releases (although Sony seems to be slowing down for this third generation) then this doesn't seem so odd.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Yeah, the whole thing just seems odd. It would have made more sense not to name it GH5 at all and go with a different Gxx name

Go tell Sony they made a mistake with naming their a7 series so similar

3 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

GH5 has been around for a while now. They've even released a G9!

When you look at the tight timings of the a7 releases (although Sony seems to be slowing down for this third generation) then this doesn't seem so odd.

Go tell Sony they made a mistake with naming their a7 series so similar

I always thought it was odd for Sony too. But when did we start excusing Panasonic for pulling the same crap that Sony does? This reeks of the A6300/A6500 releases. Either way, I’m sure it will be a popular camera and I really don’t care all that much... or at all... lol.

On 1/5/2018 at 2:50 PM, Cinegain said:

That's exactly what he means..? The G9 is that cheaper and true hybrid option. GH5 is still a video cam first I'd say. I mean it has that V-Log L, HLG, DCI4K, Anamorphic, 10-bit, high bitrate, waveforms or vectorscope overlays, unl. rec time etc and of course the IBIS. So you know. Not that there isn't a space for it... and of course that's exactly what Panasonic needs and wants. But far less people now will be intrigued to get the GH5, because they're bound to lean more one way (consumer: bit of 'casual' stills & video) or the other (high end video production). Especially with a GH5S (supposedly) coming out at 2499,- it's certainly something else.

I guess it depends on what your minimum level of features is for video.  10 minutes of 4K does not make for a hybrid for me.

I believe the GH5s will carry on the tradition of the GH5 as a hybrid, based on the leaked specs I've seen.  It will do 14 bit RAW stills.

If they ditch a mechanical shutter to get internal NDs (which is what I hope! But I know in my heart that I'm purely dreaming :cry: ), then the original GH5 will remain as the true hybrid with the GH5s as the pure mirrorless video machine. 

30 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

If no IBIS, but if the GH5s has one or two more stops of dynamic range in video and 2 or 3 more stops of usable low light in video - I'm still in and still keeping my GH5 when I need to go hand held.  Though it still would be a major bummer if no IBIS.

Well we will know by tomorrow!

no ibis would be bummer since most prime lens doesn’t have IS