Inspirational Photographers

Jonesy Jones

I find a ton of inspiration in the work of some photographers, and I think it'd be great if we could all share some of our favorite. 

A couple ground rules:

1. It would be great if photographers with a distinct style or technique were shared. And even a short something about them or what you find so unique and inspiring.
  2. Please include a link to their site, portfolio, or Instagram page. That small bit of work on your part would be a huge timesaver on our part.

I'll start:

Is it safe to say that Yousef Karsh is the greatest portrait photographer ever? Well he's certainly photographed the most iconic personalities of all time. Even though it is B&W, there is still a very classic cinematic feel to it. Tonal contrast master. I can't put my finger on why, but Deakin's work feels similar. Is it a classic use of soft light and shadows? I don't know what I'm talking about technically speaking but they resemble each other to me.

Michael Muller's work is cinematic too, or is it just because he photographs movie stars? He loves the whole dual side light thing. I love that too. He's not afraid to sometimes let a subjects hair or clothes disappear into the background. He also loves the strange triangle or square eye light thing. I'm not such a big fan. His studio work is awesome, but so are the field shots. His shots tell great stories. (As I look at these photos I can't help but think to myself how full of themselves all these stars must be.)

Eli Rezkallah's use of color contrast and affinity is worth looking at. I wouldn't be interested in this personally unless it was for something commercial. In which case it would be a blast.

I am going to include Sandro Giordano's Instagram page only because it is so strikingly niche and distinct. If you are ever in the mood to reinvent yourself in a way that totally stands out, Sandro's work is a reminder that capitalizing and committing to a simple idea can work in this regard. In other words, creating memorable images might not be as difficult as it seems. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think there are many great photographers these days and access and marketing is what can determine success.

That last Instagram page doesn't do it for me.      A couple of photos I like but mostly the photos just seem contrived (just my opinion, obviously thousands like them).

Going forward with the likes of social media like Instagram and FaceBook, the most popular will be people who can market themselves, are popular and sociable people anyway and after that they will also be fair to great photographers.

I describe myself as an average, lazy and anti- social photographer and I know very few people in real life that actually use social media for photography.

My photos will be lucky to get 10 likes when I post them but the further away from ME they get, the more popular they seem to get (I post usually aimed for/at someone).

I have one photo on Instagram now that has five likes.       One of those five reposted and that has 275 likes and from there it was reposted on FaceBook where it just missed out on being the NSW Tourism fan photo of the week on a page with four others and they have over 30,000 likes as a page.    The exact same photo.     Just too funny.

• Super Members
24 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Like him or not, he put Sony Mirrorless cameras on the map! I think he see's outside of the box that is for sure. There aren't many women in the world that would not want him to take their Wedding.

http://www.jasonlanier.com/

He is technically skilled for sure. But his view on women is in a serious need of an update. Im so tired of clische dudes that pose women as horny idiots and men as bad ass and cool.. the 70s are over.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

He is technically skilled for sure. But his view on women is in a serious need of an update. Im so tired of clische dudes that pose women as horny idiots and men as bad ass and cool.. the 70s are over.

Well I tend to agree. He comes of as a nice Biker Guy. But it seems to work, he ain't starving to death. I know most women, including my daughters, sort of like the" Bad Guys". Not saying they marry them but..

Maybe we need some women's input. I doubt women fantasize about some geeky guy with a pencil protector in their shirt pocket!

I like Amos Chapple (http://www.amoschapplephoto.com/) because (1) he shoots cheap, small m4/3 equipment (smaller bodies, some of the consumer glass) and  still seems to have great results, (2) his stories are very, very interesting and unusual, (3) he goes places I'd never go, (4) his images seem fresh, much of it is content I've never seen before.

On 1/2/2018 at 4:14 PM, darrellcraig said:

I like Amos Chapple (http://www.amoschapplephoto.com/) because (1) he shoots cheap, small m4/3 equipment (smaller bodies, some of the consumer glass) and  still seems to have great results, (2) his stories are very, very interesting and unusual, (3) he goes places I'd never go, (4) his images seem fresh, much of it is content I've never seen before.

Wow that person has some Serious photographs!  A lot of Things I have never saw before.

On 1/1/2018 at 3:01 PM, Grimor said:

Man he sure does know how to do B&W!

https://www.google.es/search?q=chema+madoz&client=ms-android-samsung&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CT7YlgTu26c0IjipsVx60M9v4EkzTRi5BCjng20WHeVHB5I9LhCnhfHQRE9R0dwDf8-R1ncXxKZBrQeVnUpUJ6UpCioSCamxXHrQz2_1gET5j3AaHNHVLKhIJSTNNGLkEKOcRxrKIKi3kUEIqEgmDbRYd5UcHkhHrOyAe54AHmCoSCT0uEKeF8dBEETdyc8mPKvvfKhIJT1HR3AN_1z5ERgZ3ShuZqt0YqEgnWdxfEpkGtBxGGfFqxsbNdFyoSCZWdSlQnpSkKEUZYl9XAmC3Q&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb7uTM07_YAhUPNd8KHUa1BK8Q9C8IHw&biw=1707&bih=995&dpr=1.5#imgrc=JgBwA8ACIWK2YM:

I can't get it back to the original page to save my ass LoL.

On 1/2/2018 at 4:14 PM, darrellcraig said:

This is great. Thanks for sharing. Amazing stories. Really cool for sure.

I follow a photographer on Instagram named Adrian C Murray and his work is just breathtaking... there’s a modern day Norman Rockwell feel to his work, even though the subject matter and mediums are different. I believe he shoots with a Fuji.

Also I am a huge fan of Sebastian Kortman, he posts a lot of screengrabs and photos on IG and his compositions and color is gorgeous.

And obviously, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention our own Mattias Burling. His IG page is inspiring. Somehow he manages to get hundreds of likes and views in a matter of minutes. My most popular screengrab has 23 likes and it took about 8-10 weeks to get there... LOL... :(

4 hours ago, mercer said:

I follow a photographer on Instagram named Adrian C Murray and his work is just breathtaking... there’s a modern day Norman Rockwell feel to his work, even though the subject matter and mediums are different. I believe he shoots with a Fuji.

Also I am a huge fan of Sebastian Kortman, he posts a lot of screengrabs and photos on IG and his compositions and color is gorgeous.

And obviously, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention our own Mattias Burling. His IG page is inspiring. Somehow he manages to get hundreds of likes and views in a matter of minutes. My most popular screengrab has 23 likes and it took about 8-10 weeks to get there... LOL... :(

Yep. This guy is great Mercer. There is something ultra inspirational to me when someone commits to a few simple ideas and explores them to the fullest. With this guy its kids and backlighting, also throw in some haze here and there. Kudos to him for experimenting with haze. It's actually something I am going to be playing with in the near future myself. Can't thank you enough for sharing that.

I'm a fan of his work too - although I sometimes think 'Crikey, this guy has decorated his house and dresses his kids in such a way that he can always get a nice retro looking shot'! I think he does quite well out of selling presets too (and yes, he's mainly a Fuji guy).