Your New Years Resolution

Geoff CB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

This is going to sound weird but... shoot less log.

I spend way too much time color grading just because it's fun, but I could be using that time for more productive things when log isn't absolutely necessary. 

BTW I wouldn't say this if I weren't so impressed with the latest EOSHD Sony color profiles.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I shot a play the other day and went with standard rather than dealing with the log profile.

Well, back to all seriousness, I gotta really make efforts to reverse GAS into some GUD (Gear Unloading Detox) and simplify things, think that's a healthy move.

This year I'll be doing a lot of travelling and will be in e.g. North America, Asia and Africa quite a bit. I've been eager to get into analog photography for a while now and cameras like the Contax T2, Ricoh GR1v, Fujifilm Klasse W & S were on my radar, but in the end I settled for the convenience of digital (which has gotten cheaper over time, rather than these analogs that have skyrocketed), though I think the Ricoh GRII will get me about as close as it gets to that. APS-C single focal length photography basics goodness. Yummy.

Regarding video, 2018 is more of a bridging year before I'm going to attempt to do it on the side commercially in 2019. So, last chance to experiment and try as much as possible. My favourite part is shooting itself, but I probably need to pay more attention to effective storytelling and editing. Also kinda want to figure out the applications for HLG. No.1 thing is to go and have some fun with it.

3 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Haha, that too. Started keto & intermittent fasting (& taking diluted apple cider vinegar).

How's it going? I live in an area with killer food so these restrictive diets never last... I feel like I'd be a huge mess for the first few days.

People I know who've gone vegan have had luck with that, too, but with the same emphasis on greens. But low fat rather than low carb.

I should probably pick one or the other and stick with it.

2 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

How's it going? I live in an area with killer food so these restrictive diets never last... I feel like I'd be a huge mess for the first few days.

People I know who've gone vegan have had luck with that, too, but with the same emphasis on greens. But low fat rather than low carb.

I should probably pick one or the other and stick with it.

Dunno, it's pretty much been day one. :sweat_smile:

In my youth I've always been super skinny, yet being able to eat and snack whatever I wanted. Then again, I also was pretty active (although not athletically, aside from self-defence sports like Judo). Things kinda changed when I had hit my 20s and I moved abroad for work and started living on my own (you know without mom's balanced diet of carbs/proteine and veggies as well). Activity slowed down to a minimum. When you're a kid, you meet your friends on the playground and pretty much blast through all your energy. When you're an adult you pretty much meet your friends in a bar and have a couple of beers. Or you go to see the latest Star Wars and have popcorn with a huge soda. You're no student, so you don't need to ride your bike to school and for getting around public transport around here is such that trains, undergrounds, trams and busses are practically all just around my corner and can take me anywhere, so I hardly consider going somewhere by foot or bike. My job isn't necessarily physically demanding and by the time I get home from 10:30 hours of work or something, I don't feel like hitting up a gym either. And after 5 or 6 days of work you've gotta catch up on household chores, groceries, administration 'n all that schtuff, so it's not like you haven't got other stuff to do. So that's one side of the story. So when after a couple of months I manage to go home again everyone always has to mention that my face has gotten a little rounder (which is getting pretty old now, but most people just have this image from me in my childhood; the ironic thing is, some of these people are fairly overweight whereas I'm actually at a pretty healthy weight, just optimally would lose just a few more pounds to be at the optimum, though mainly health benefits make me want to ditch this nasty lifestyle).

Then there's food. Like I mentioned, you used to pretty much eat whatever your mom served that evening, which usually was potatoes, meat and veggies (and you'd actually be able to burn 'em off again). But these days, who has the time or energy to make a homecooked meal anymore? Usually you only find 15 or 30 mins to grab something quickly, so naturally you're just grabbing something 'quick & dirty', aka fastfood (although not necessarily McDonalds or Burger King, there's a lot of other stuff, incl. pastas or something, that's quick but not necessarily very nutricional). Or whatabout microwave 'foods' that appear healthy (like rice dishes). What do you have with that? A coffee with coffeine and sugar to keep you going. Or an energydrink. Though, that might not even be the biggest problem. I believe it's snacking. It's the large quantity of poison in 'em, namely: sugar. Highly addictive, 8 times more in fact than cocaine and we all crave for it. Soda, chocolate bars, candy, but as well salty foods like potato crisps and corn nachos. Sugar is in just about everything nowadays and it's causing a boatload of health problems. And there's sugar that gets converted from the carbs we take in. And each time we have something like that we spike insulin, the hormone that regulates blood sugar. When there's too much sugar coming in your blood it will try to put it in cells as glucose for quick energy access... or as a reserve: fat. What happens over time of consuming so much sugar is, we build a resistance towards insulin and it becomes ineffective regarding storing glucose in our cells. The body then gets triggered to make more insulin, which still isn't doing much, ending you up with high blood sugar and depleted cells that still crave sugar and the actual sugar itself ending up as fat.

So... it really is about getting your insulin levels in check. And even better, to access that stored fat to run on as fuel: the state of ketosis (also most of your fat gets burned during quality sleep, so make sure you get enough rest at night). So we gotta avoid sugars altogether, including fruits such as apples or juices and also cutting out the things we consume and the body breaks down to sugar (like bread, pasta, alcohol etc). We should focus on real 'food', stuff with nutricional value, stuff that provides us with a bunch of minerals and vitamins. That's more or less what keto is all about. It's not so much about counting calories or not hurting those poor animals. It's: how do we provide our body with the best possible nutricion? And that's a lot of greens, like honestly a ton... especially bitter greens like kale, a medium amount of protein and a quite high fat intake. We also should give it time to digest, get broken down, absorbed and put to use by the body. That's why it's been so effective in combination with intermittent fasting, which sounds scarier than it probably is (atleast I at first was like 'whaaat? Not eating? Are you crazy!? That's not healthy at all!'). It's about the pattern of eating within one 24hr period. If you can, you bring 3 meals a day down to 2 or even 1 meal a day and the consumed meals in a certain time window with no snacking in between and certainly not after. What you drink is mineral water, preferably 'spiked' with apple cider vinegar and lemon. Don't push yourself to drink 'x amount' of water a day as you might flush out your body of the good stuff, just drink when you're thirsty.

It's not a hippidy hipster ah those poor animals I live in LA fad (which I mostly had/sorta have still with the whole vegetarian/vegan scene)... it has nothing to do with anything but you and your health alone. Unfortunately we all grew up with certain foods and treats, or our environment and circumstances shaped us into adapting a certain unhealthy lifestyle and having bad habits. If only it were so easy to flip a switch and undo all the programming that led you here and replace it with different code... it's just not. So we've gotta do some bugfixing and keep improving. In meanwhile starting to code a new operating system for ourselves to run on. For the sake of our health, feeling fresh and sharp and looking that way too.

I'm in my very early 30s and I already figured I needed to be more health concious last year. So I have already for the last year stopped eating the real fast food, mostly eating like chicken salads 'n soups and I have never been much of a morning bird downing on some food that early, so I already only do 2 meals a day. But the thing that really gets to me is the sugar thing, which I actually never really fully understood or acknowledged I guess. But all the soda pop, candy and chips... especially late night snacking before going to bed has been hurting all of the progress I've been meaning to make. So I'm going to make an honest effort this year to educate myself more and make healthy choices. Today I only had one meal, a chicken salad (actually way too little food, but try to find something open 1st of january in this very traditional country) and only drank water (already started doing that last week, with apple cider vinegar and lime). Had zero sugary stuff and didn't really have any problems with that so far. So... I guess so far so good? :tounge:

Sorry for the long read. :lol:

9 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Fantastic! I hope you stick with it.

Have been doing strict LCHF myself since 2011, with only one meal per day usually.

Best.Thing.Ever.

Dang. You're going strong, then! :D And hey, less a day? Think about all the time you're saving, right? :P

I must say, it's actually the first thing I've come across that actually sounds like it makes sense and isn't just the latest 'health'/weightloss hype like juicing detox, counting calories, going paleo, mediterranean diet or what have you, which usually isn't a lifestyle but a shortterm attempt to fix a longterm problem (focus should be health, not weight, then weight should follow naturally). This thing really *clicks* with me for some reason. Hope now it sticks too... thanks for the words of encouragement!

38 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Dang. You're going strong, then! :D

It is for life. I will never stop!  But then again I have no choice.

And hey, less a day? Think about all the time you're saving, right? :P

Why cook three times when once is enough?

I must say, it's actually the first thing I've come across that actually sounds like it makes sense and isn't just the latest 'health'/weightloss hype like juicing detox, counting calories, going paleo, mediterranean diet or what have you

I started this diet prior to the paleo etc craze catching on.

So was quite interesting seeing this rise in popularity for something which I'm already doing. (As paleo and LCHF can be very very similar)

which usually isn't a lifestyle but a shortterm attempt to fix a longterm problem (focus should be health, not weight, then weight should follow naturally).

Indeed, when people hear the word "diet" they think of it as a short term thing which lasts a few weeks. Maybe a few months.

WRONG! It should be much longer than that, a diet is about how you live your life.

For me, the decision to do LCHF had 0% to do with weight loss.

Although this turned out to be a nice side bonus benefit of the diet. As prior to the diet I was somewhat way overweight at 95kgs (but I am 6' 3"). Then quickly lost weight once on my diet.