DIY In-Camera Filter... Dangerous, Stupid or both?

Juxx989

I have a filter I enjoy using 90% of the time and I started thinking... what if I just cut it perfectly and popped it in front of the sensor (not thinking permanent) 

I have a NX1- and it seems to have the clearance to do so from the back of my S- lenses to the sensor... (my Rokonon 12mm is not tho the rear glass is bulbous and protrudes out quite a bit Guess its how they made it so wide but still can take a screw on filter)

Its seems like it would solve some problems of not flaring as much and I can rock any lens.... 

I have a NX 10 collecting dust I could use as a test subject 

this guy did something similar but made his infrared (and said he destroyed its ability to shoot normal) 

I was just thinking I could put it and remove it with Tweezers 

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Permanent-Infrared-DSLR-Camera/

Main worries are if a little piece of sand gets in between them some how it will become sandpaper and grind the sensor

and wtf would happen if I triggered the Manual Shutter  (could switch to e shutter)

I have an INTP personality so im always thinking of crazy shit...

any thoughts on this one?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

I have a filter I enjoy using 90% of the time and I started thinking... what if I just cut it perfectly and popped it in front of the sensor (not thinking permanent) 

I have a NX1- and it seems to have the clearance to do so from the back of my S- lenses to the sensor... (my Rokonon 12mm is not tho the rear glass is bulbous and protrudes out quite a bit Guess its how they made it so wide but still can take a screw on filter)

Its seems like it would solve some problems of not flaring as much and I can rock any lens.... 

I have a NX 10 collecting dust I could use as a test subject 

this guy did something similar but made his infrared (and said he destroyed its ability to shoot normal) 

I was just thinking I could put it and remove it with Tweezers 

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Permanent-Infrared-DSLR-Camera/

Main worries are if a little piece of sand gets in between them some how it will become sandpaper and grind the sensor

and wtf would happen if I triggered the Manual Shutter  (could switch to e shutter)

I have an INTP personality so im always thinking of crazy shit...

any thoughts on this one?

I've thought about this too, except in a slightly different approach. Entertain me for a second. I'm a fellow INTP. ?

You know those macro extension tubes sold cheaply on line? Well, they actually maintain electronic control with native NX glass and could be a perfect candidate to retrofit a diffusion filter inside whilst gaining macro ability and keeping AF/Aperture communication intact. 

Thoughts?

41DJnsXDExL._SX355_.jpg

I would be very leary of putting any other material besides glass close to the image sensor. I think that's asking for trips to the camera repair shop for frequent sensor cleaning. 

2 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

You know those macro extension tubes sold cheaply on line? Well, they actually maintain electronic control with native NX glass and could be a perfect candidate to retrofit a diffusion filter inside whilst gaining macro ability and keeping AF/Aperture communication intact. 

ah indeed I have this very extension tube burred somewhere around here but its fairly flimsy would not trust dangling either S-Lenses off it with out a with out rails and a brace 

my 30mm, 16mm, 45mm pancakes will do fine.

this could be feasible use one section for Low contrast filter... and the other we just have to devise some sort of pseudo Internal adjustable ND Filter :thumbsup: 

The Dream of the NX S-100 (my version of a C-100 type camera) is drawing Near