Need Help with Export Settings

Germy1979

Hello All:)

I ran into a bump with a video export last year to Vimeo.  - A couple of hippie friends that ask me to follow them around at their wedding, lol.  (Not a pro job at all:)..   The motion just does not look good at all when I watch it on Vimeo though....  Very choppy.  My original export from Resolve is smooth as hell.   I'm attaching the video.  You can see it very clearly in the opening shot.  It was shot 60p and looks like slowed down 24p.  Just curious if that's a Vimeo thing and if not, what the best settings to Vimeo export might be.  Thanks in advance!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't know why anyone uses Vimeo anymore.  I cancelled my subscription because of it and they made it difficult for me to go to free mode.  Long story...short story is they're run by a PE firm which has no "love" for video.  Vimeo videos seldom plays through for me, as yours just didn't.  I believe they go cheap on bandwidth.  That might be the cause of the choppiness you're seeing.  

10 minutes ago, maxotics said:

I don't know why anyone uses Vimeo anymore.  I cancelled my subscription because of it and they made it difficult for me to go to free mode.  Long story...short story is they're run by a PE firm which has no "love" for video.  Vimeo videos seldom plays through for me, as yours just didn't.  I believe they go cheap on bandwidth.  That might be the cause of the choppiness you're seeing.  

Well if not Vimeo where?

12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well if not Vimeo where?

I don't know the answer because I now use YouTube.  It's easy to set up multiple channels.  If I needed non-branded videos, which Vimeo could allow me to embed, I would just get an Amazon AWS account and host them that way, or Microsoft Azure, or Google Drive, etc.  If enough people are interested in that here, I can look at it and offer solutions.  Maybe Andrew should set something up as part of his business here :)

I understand why Vimeo is raising rates.  Good bandwidth costs money.  My issue is that they're cutting corners, re-investing little, IMHO, to pay for their investment, name, etc.  They rightly believe that most people will not leave because they're already entrenched.  So I believe, if you don't have a lot of effort spent in Vimeo, it's a better deal to just buy the bandwidth directly from one of those companies which are competing fiercely in the cloud storage space.  In today's technology, there is nothing special to hosting video.  There are "players" galore.  It was even built into HTML5.  So it's just bandwidth.

It’d end up costing a lot of money (and lost revenue)  and you’d get infinitely less exposure. The last time I checked, alternative video hosting services didn’t offer a tenth of the features YT or even Vimeo have. If it was as simple as that, many YouTubers would have already left ages ago.

15 minutes ago, jonpais said:

get infinitely less exposure

Distribution is a whole other question, right?  Yes, if I was doing anything commercial I'd post on Vimeo, but only because it still has somewhat of a following from film-makers, NOT the general public.  They're all on YouTube and Instagram.  It would just be one of those nuisance expenses.  However, does anyone look for videos on Vimeo?  I no longer do. 

Anyway, I was definitely not making the argument that one should leave YT for generic hosting.   Though even there, I doubt anyone in the film business cares where your video is, if they're just looking for the quality of your content.   

For example, just 5 minutes ago my wife took our friends dog for a walk.  Our friend, on vacation, wants to see a video.  I shot a quick thing, converted to mp4 for an iPhone (which is what she has) and put it on my Google drive.  Then posted the link in FB messenger.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tUKJDeaq6GT1xEbFrcVc-_4oPSkw1EO5/view?usp=sharing

Seriously, it would have taken me more time on Vimeo because there is nothing shorter than drag and drop and create link.