Cheap 100mm bowl tripod legs?

IronFilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Never tried them before, but out of experience, I usually go for the known brands like Sachtler, Manfrotto, etc.

I remember a few years back I invested in a couple of generic 75mm tripods (full kits) for about $169.99 (per unit). Within months bubble level fluid emptied out (I know.... come on, really?), it started to get harder to assemble/disassemble because the joints started getting stiffer... well... you get the point.... since then.... its all the brand name stuff that I get... cause their names are on the line.

15 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Funny thing is... the ones he is showing us aren't exactly cheap either... unless you take $250 - $340 as being cheap.

For a 100mm bowl tripod, those are dirt dirt cheap! 
(is a bit of a niche market.... but I need a bigger bowl, and there are not too many options outside the really expensive ones)

Wish I lived in the USA however, as I checked B&H and there are some quite affordable options there:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?setNs=p_PRICE_2|0&Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=3910&fct=fct_base-type_1499|100mm&srtclk=sort&N=3907816551&

But even the cheapest one will mean a hundred bucks shipping to NZ, then over another hundred bucks in customs fees :-/ 

Vs the ones from China which have none of those costs, which makes them instantly a lot cheaper.

Benro for the money is hard to beat for sort of a off brand. I can't tell you how many cheap heads and legs I have bought and ALL of them were shit. Pay the money for a name brand, used one, and be F ing done with it!!!

And I think the Carbon Fiber ones are a waste of money for video unless you are doing ENG work. Save your money. Actually the extra weight is a plus for video.

3 hours ago, scotchtape said:

What are you putting on it?

A rigged up Sony PMW-F3 mostly, but needs to also cope with at times even heavier cameras such as a fully rigged RED ONE.

3 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Got benro on clearance from bh for around $220!

As I explained above, if I'm ordering from B&H (instead of direct from China) then very quickly the total costs becomes easily DOUBLE what it is for Americans :cry: (or worse!)

49 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

This adaptor is great on my centerpole tripod. Fixes everything. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554093-REG/Manfrotto_438_438_Compact_Levelling_Head.html

That is no good for me. :-/  I need 100mm bowl legs.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

A rigged up Sony PMW-F3 mostly, but needs to also cope with at times even heavier cameras such as a fully rigged RED ONE.

As I explained above, if I'm ordering from B&H (instead of direct from China) then very quickly the total costs becomes easily DOUBLE what it is for Americans :cry: (or worse!)

That is no good for me. :-/  I need 100mm bowl legs.

I always buy stuff like that from a site called Craigslist here. Doubt they have it in NZ. Some of the old stuff is pretty much indestructible. A lot of people go to TV station auctions I guess? I guess ebay is good also. Vinten stuff I like the best.

I'm assuming @IronFilm is just buying this tripod for his own personal use, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I can just about guarantee that something will fail down the road, or greatly disappoint. You get what you pay for. I bought a highly recommended rather inexpensive LED light a while back, the Yongnuo YN216, and after only using it two or three times, now the dial that adjusts the light output no longer works properly. I purchased an SD card for half the price of the Panasonic while I was in Singapore, and it failed the first time I used it. A cheap tripod head by Weifeng started dripping goo after only a couple years of light use. A dry cabinet with no interior light, adjusting the humidity level had to be done by reaching for a tiny dial in the very back of the unit, and the meter, which was battery powered, died every two years like clockwork, and the power cord decided to explode on me one day for no apparent reason. And then there's all the other cheap trash I bought inexpensively, which hasn't failed, but which hasn't necessarily worked as well as I needed. Unlike camera bodies, a tripod should be a lifetime investment. I would just bite the bullet, purchase tickets to Australia or the nearest dealer, buy the gear you need and fly back to NZ. In any case, that's what I do every few months.

@Cinegain (obviously photo-shopped and for certain used without permission of the copyright owner) :) 

HTB10bC3MpXXXXaVXVXXq6xXFXXXH.jpg

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I always buy stuff like that from a site called Craigslist here. Doubt they have it in NZ. Some of the old stuff is pretty much indestructible. A lot of people go to TV station auctions I guess? I guess ebay is good also. Vinten stuff I like the best.

We have TradeMe in NZ, but the problem is the local market is so extremely tiny it is very very hard to find anything. Almost nothing. 

Take a look at the current listings:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryListings.aspx?sort_order=expiry_desc&mcatpath=electronics-photography%2Fcamera-accessories%2Ftripods&v=gallery&rsqid=c4bfef01f86b420a965a560aa66f5e6e&condition=used&rsqid=6fd012371d6d41619f430f18338dc5b5

There isn't much, heck there isn't even a single 75mm one listed! (which is way way more commonplace than 100mm)

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Vinten stuff I like the best.

I have a Vivten head! Thus the desire to find legs for it....