Does anyone shoot in B&W?

mercer

On 2/19/2022 at 1:07 AM, Matt Kieley said:

I coincidentally just bought one today for dirt cheap. I wanted one about 5 years ago but it was still a little pricey for me at that time. I'm excited to playa round with it, especially in Monochrome. 

I think you'll really appreciate it. With sLog2 or Cine2, and Monochrome color, the camera feels like a S16 film camcorder. The zoom lens is amazing and it has a rocker. The internal ND helps with the need to overexpose sLog2. Even the preamps are pretty good, and you can even get an XLR attachment for it. A really fun camera. If I ever find now for the right price... I may pick up another one because there isn't a camera like it... well the FZ2500 is pretty great too actually. With the instant slow motion button while recording offers some pretty unique opportunities for stylized slow motion shots.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, mercer said:

I think you'll really appreciate it. With sLog2 or Cine2, and Monochrome color, the camera feels like a S16 film camcorder. The zoom lens is amazing and it has a rocker. The internal ND helps with the need to overexpose sLog2. Even the preamps are pretty good, and you can even get an XLR attachment for it. A really fun camera. If I ever find now for the right price... I may pick up another one because there isn't a camera like it... well the FZ2500 is pretty great too actually. With the instant slow motion button while recording offers some pretty unique opportunities for stylized slow motion shots.

I'm excited. I was actually re-doing the color grade with FilmConvert nitrate for a short I shot on the a6300 years ago but haven't finished, and was blown away by how much I could recover overexposed shots on Slog2, and how good the "bad" Sony color looked with FCN. If I can do the same with the RX10 II footage, then it might be the perfect camera for me: fixed motorized fast zoom lens with great range, manual focus/zoom ring, clickless aperture ring, log, stabilization, nearly s16 sensor size so I can get manageable DOF for pulling focus but also still able to get a shallow enough DOF for close-ups. 

44 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

If you have fat fingers, then the RX10 is not a camera you want. There is Very little room between the lens and the grip. I had to sell mine because of it. But if it works for you, I highly recommend one.  They have pretty much everything you need in a small very well-made package.

Luckily I have dainty little lady hands that are good for the glut of tiny cameras on the market.

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

tiny SD:) What camera did you use for the second clip? @tupp I like the vibe, looks like 90ies neo noir without neon and without Neo.:)

As I recall, the noir SD piece was shot on a Panasonic DVX-100A, but this 240P trailer is all I ever saw of the footage.

In regards to the clips from the short, a Panasonic AF-100 captured the interior sequences, and the exteriors of the woman on the street were shot with a Canon T3i and vintage Nikkor glass.

1 hour ago, tupp said:

As I recall, the noir SD piece was shot on a Panasonic DVX-100A, but this 240P trailer is all I ever saw of the footage.

Awesome! I was obsessed with the Andromeda hack a few years ago. I member offered me one with PM iirc, but never answered my questions who it was from oringinally. 720p 3ccd 10bit uncompressed 10bit to a mac with a stabilized pana-leica zoom lens.

Yeah, DPing shorts and longer pieces even on a no budget level is a rough thing to do artistically.:)

• 1 month later...

Hehe. Andrew does an awesome interview with the Japanese head engineer and includes his masterful vignettes with the Lumix GH cameras.

I then rewatch two GH1 pieces and read into the vimeo comments for his masterful "Tokyo Storm". There I read a certain comment out of all the appreciative exited voices. I go to the commenters vimeo site and I discover this, filmed with HD camcorders cameras and the quasi 720p machine that the EOSD 700D is.

I zipp through the video, watch parts of it and hopefully will watch the whole film.

But check out from 18 to 20min. Awesome, simple, masterful, Tokyo Storm qualities from a Tokyo Storm admirerer.

Cheap cameras Black and White galore and glory. 19.50min- wow.

And it´s alway amazing to see what´s done with funky 8bit hd photocams. It´s also an important decision between monochromatic and black and white. Unfortunately sometimes people I worked with don´t recognize that and go for bw right away. Even on no budget projects cinematographers and their know how and especially ART is not recognized by the directors. Anyway, here is an example of beautiful 8bit cinematopgraphy and 420 glory in monchromatisitc awesomeness.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyway, black and white lovers. Here is a musicvideo I did. Again in cinema verité style. It can be exhausting to create all spontaneously, with the flow of conciousness. But it can be big fun as well.

Talent in front of the camera is the awesome artist and songwriter herself. Her shadow following is a kind and kewl artist as well. Shot in 90min. Edit was done the next day.

BUT, I completed some itsy bitsy 20seconds and final grade only now, two years later. Crazy how long some things take which started off super high energy and fast as lightning up to 90% of the final result! The last 10% can be a sucker.

So here is the final result, turn up the volume and enjoy! 🙂

@Emanuel Well, actually I shot and edited it around March 2019. The talent in front of the camera, like I mentioned:) is the artist and songwriter herself who did this song and was one part of a music duo. The character following her is a friend of us. Yeah, I had the editing almost nailed within less than a day back then. But I put it away and waited until now to finish it to my liking. So I sat dowin yesterday to straighten out a short part of the piece which I was not satisfied with. I also did the grading yesterday as well. @webrunner5 I hope that´s a good thing, Don. 🙂

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, projectwoofer said:

First attempt at B&W grading with the S5, Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 and Helios 44M-4 58mm f/2. These are shots from a street fait in Athens. Shot on two different occasions. Music is done by me, I was feeling a bit melancholic at the time hence the title "Low". Hope you enjoy it!

Well done!!! I just love this. Great shadow work. It reminds me of Ilford Film. Was this shot in vLog? I knew the S5 would be great for run & gun B&W!!!