Does anyone shoot in B&W?

mercer

13 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Oh, Glenn, unless you already know this film, I got a monster of a BW film for you to check out. It´s a true beast of cinematic art, a BW monster. Let´s start this as a guess what thing. HInt: futuristic middle ages, overlong, a helluva ride.

One thing important as well: I think you are the perfect indie and maybe more cinematographer. You should find a director and writer with appreciation for Arri Like Canon RAW and the master of its art and color- Original CanonRAW Gee Mercer!:)

Thanks Marty, but I’m really just a writer who wants to film some of my own material. I definitely don’t have the confidence, or desire really, or time for that matter, to film someone else’s work. My goal is to be a competent enough operator, editor, and colorist that my films don’t look completely like amateur backyard films, while still keeping the spirit and DIY aspect of the run and gun filmmaking I grew up working on.

Are you thinking, Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure... oh wait that wasn’t in Black & White... lol. 

Pi?

9 minutes ago, Goose said:

Some great examples on this thread; learning a lot.  I love B&W and have been playing with the L Monochrome mode on my GX80:

P1000037.JPG

P1000039.JPG

P1000042.JPG

P1000043.JPG

Nice samples, the GX80/85 is a great camera for B&W. L.Monochrome really has a film look to it like it was designed. Any video samples?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
45 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks Marty, but I’m really just a writer who wants to film some of my own material. I definitely don’t have the confidence, or desire really, or time for that matter, to film someone else’s work. My goal is to be a competent enough operator, editor, and colorist that my films don’t look completely like amateur backyard films, while still keeping the spirit and DIY aspect of the run and gun filmmaking I grew up working on.

Your work shows some awesome spirit and super fine skill. I was just hoping for some manpower to carry the lights for you and to cater the actors, that´s all :) Bill n Ted in BW, no, that one deserves to be in color:) No, it´s this monster of a BW masterpiece and milestone of achievement. See the dvdbaver screenshot:

hardtobeagod_fromdvdbeaverwebsite.jpg

18 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Your work shows some awesome spirit and super fine skill. I was just hoping for some manpower to carry the lights for you and to cater the actors, that´s all :) Bill n Ted in BW, no, that one deserves to be in color:) No, it´s this monster of a BW masterpiece and milestone of achievement. See the dvdbaver screenshot:

hardtobeagod_fromdvdbeaverwebsite.jpg

Hard to be a God... interesting... I’ve never heard of this film, but it looks awesome with a really cool premise.

I really appreciate your constant support Marty... you’re the best member of this damn forum.

Carry lights... lights? Let’s not get too fancy Marty... if it doesn’t attach to a cold shoe, I probably won’t be using it... only available and practical light for me... LOL.

2 hours ago, Goose said:

Thanks mercer.  I also think the L monochrome mode has a great film look to it.  I have an old Olympus OM SP SLR which I must load up with some film and see how it compares!    No video yet, sorry.

Thanks for posting, Goose... It would be really maverick of you to post some video when you get a chance. Lol. L.monochrome and IBIS is one of the only things I miss about the GX85. 

5 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Well, that one is the no.1 milestone right there, thank you for pointing out!

The films title is Hard to be a God from 2013, not the rather conventional 1989 version. That film is a beast!

Cool, I will check that one out.  Never heard of it. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2018 at 9:13 PM, Ingerson said:

I just shot my first short in BW, love the way it captures light. So glad my camera LCD could show BW when shooting. Straight from timeline (proxies, so very heavily compressed) and a simple BW LUT.

2018-03-25 05.56.37 am.png

2018-03-25 05.58.01 am.png

2018-03-25 05.58.27 am.png

Actually, metering in black and white shows your luminance and contrast ratios way better than the distraction of color. Sometimes I'll switch to a b&w profile in camera on tricky exposure situations for metering then switch back to color for recording. 

I never shoot in b&w in camera. I always handle that in post because I feel the tools are sophisticated enough now to replicate a faithful conversion. 

I shoot B & W a lot. Combining short films, music videos and tests I have about 25 B & W videos on vimeo right now. I'm shooting my next feature in B & W. Here's the most recent short:

I even used music from one of my all-time favorite films, Night of the Living Dead. This is the second B & W video of my daughter set to music from that movie. Eraserhead is my favorite example of B & W cinematography, and my favorite lighting in any movie as well.