HLG to VLog Conversion

Sage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, tihon84 said:

Nice offer!

Still dont understand why we should pay 100! Bucs for VLog upgrade...

i wish you did this before i bought VLog)

Paid VLog still has its benefits; there is the in-cam vlt monitoring, as well as the 8-bit modes.

This is ideal for those who wanted to try V-Log, but weren't able to purchase it for the extra cost, as it is indistinguishable from actual VLog.

Also, it allows you to shoot the formats interchangeably; as there is no penalty for choosing one over the other (perfect matching of material shot in either)

40 minutes ago, austinchimp said:

Isn't there a suggestion that HLG has more dynamic range than shooting in v-log?

They have the same dynamic range (capped via the sensor), however bit depth is allocated differently. With Hybrid Log Gamma, the shadow noise range is more linear, and a bit more of the available bit depth range is used.

• 2 months later...

Hello Sage! I'm very interested in your idea!

Yesterday arrived my new gh5 and I discovered all the dynamic range of HLG! WOW! Highlights are there!

But I'm stuck with editing workflow since premiere pro doesn't support rec2020... I found this topic so the idea is to use your hlg-to-vlog lut in premiere/lumetri color/Basic Correction/Input lut and in premiere/lumetri color/Creative/Look aplying vlog-to-REC709 lut. Am I right by doing this?

Thank you for sharing your work!

13 hours ago, Rikoshet said:

Hello Sage! I'm very interested in your idea!

Yesterday arrived my new gh5 and I discovered all the dynamic range of HLG! WOW! Highlights are there!

But I'm stuck with editing workflow since premiere pro doesn't support rec2020... I found this topic so the idea is to use your hlg-to-vlog lut in premiere/lumetri color/Basic Correction/Input lut and in premiere/lumetri color/Creative/Look aplying vlog-to-REC709 lut. Am I right by doing this?

Thank you for sharing your work!

Umm, yes Premiere Pro CC 2018 does! You just have to export in H.265 Rec-2020 and HDR export is available. I just did a test HDR export today and loaded to YouTube. It kinda looks like crap because my monitor is not HDR, nut it was detected as HDR in YouTube properly.

On 3/21/2018 at 8:50 AM, Lux Shots said:

Umm, yes Premiere Pro CC 2018 does! You just have to export in H.265 Rec-2020 and HDR export is available. I just did a test HDR export today and loaded to YouTube. It kinda looks like crap because my monitor is not HDR, nut it was detected as HDR in YouTube properly.

Hi Lux! My goal is to edit and export to rec709. There are little to no hdr monitors today outside so I'm stuck with rec709.

Also, since I have 14core xeon, 32gb of ram and rx580 8gb, I'd like to edit without transcodings...

On 3/20/2018 at 10:47 PM, Sage said:

That's correct; that'll work well. Let me know how you get on

Thank you Sage!

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2018 at 3:04 AM, Maneyel said:

Hey , I'm not sure how to install it to my GH5, should I just drag and drop to the SD card and im all set ?

These are Look-Up Tables, which are used in post. In your editing software, select the intended conversion file using the native LUT utility of your editing software to convert the clip in question.

• 1 year later...

One thing I forgot to ask, does your HLG to VLOG L conversion LUT keep the wider Rec 2020 gamut of the HLG footage or is it optimizing it for the more limited Rec 709 color space, though flatter than the HLG profile?   Double checking as I am trying to keep the wider color gamut intact and have no interest in converting my HLG footage to Rec 709.  Thanks again!

On 8/12/2019 at 3:00 PM, DVP said:

One thing I forgot to ask, does your HLG to VLOG L conversion LUT keep the wider Rec 2020 gamut of the HLG footage or is it optimizing it for the more limited Rec 709 color space, though flatter than the HLG profile?   Double checking as I am trying to keep the wider color gamut intact and have no interest in converting my HLG footage to Rec 709.  Thanks again!

There is no gamut compression; the key is that log formats are the 'data' format to HDR's 'display' format. Before displays could show a wide gamut and intense brightness, cameras were able to capture this data, which is stored in a log format.

1 hour ago, Attila Bakos said:

Btw what do you do with the gamut? Vlog L primaries are not published, do you use an estimation?

Yes, its an estimated continuation of the 'fringe' data. All of the gamut (and theoretical gamut) continue from the known edge of the sample cloud. In this way, even cameras with a wider range and gamut than the original intended can be used sans clipping