X-Pro2 Ver.4.00 4K video firmware released

Aussie Ash

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

seeing this...makes me want to think about buying into the Fuji platform. 
I'm looking into investing more into the Sony system, but Fuji seems to really care for its customers and is constantly doing right by them. 

Lets see what this new video camera is going to be like, I'll give it a serious thought. 

This is one reason I can't part with my XT2's. They've gotten much better since introduction and Fuji has addressed some major criticisms on the video side.

I also can't part with my a7r2 because the stills are just so damn good. The resolution and DR are next level compared to aps-c.

Personally I wish Fuji went FF instead of MF with the GFX line so I could stay all Fuji. 

6 hours ago, jhnkng said:

Just installed the X-Pro 2 upgrade, the 4k looks WAY nicer than standard 1080p! I'd bought my Fujis for stills only, but I think there's a chance I'll be cracking them out for video as well!

Ive just installed the update but I’m travelling for the next day or two and won’t be able to bust it out. Is there now a way to stop all the overlays disappearing when you hit record?

10 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

How is the rolling shutter?

Rolling shutter is not great in 4k compared to 1080p, though I didn't notice it when I was playing with it on my gimbal until you asked the question and I tested specifically for it.  You won't want to do any whip pans in 4k on this camera. 

10 hours ago, j-oc said:

Ive just installed the update but I’m travelling for the next day or two and won’t be able to bust it out. Is there now a way to stop all the overlays disappearing when you hit record?

Which overlays do you need? All the overlays I have on stay on (except for the photo specific ones). Let me know the ones you like and I can have a look.

2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Does the X-pro2 have the following functions that were previously added to the X-T2 via firmware?

• Switching between EVF and rear LCD whilst recording
  • Changing the iso while recording
  • Changing the ISO using the scroll dial

You can't switch between the EVF/LCD during recording, and you still can't change ISO using the front dial. You can't change ISO at all as far as I can tell during recording. You can change the exposure compensation in Auto ISO mode with the front dial if you set the physical Exposure Compensation dial to C.

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

Does XPro2 have PDAF? 

Yes, and it seems to be using the phase detect sensors during AF-C whilst recording video. It's not super smooth, but it doesn't hunt -- you're not going to get super smooth auto focus pulls a la C200, but I suspect it'll be good enough to use on a gimbal.

I've still not had heaps of time to test the video aspects, but from what I can see the 4K looks much better than what 1080p gave me previously, but I think there's been some improvements to the 1080p modes as well. Where previously everything looks over-sharpened and the skin looks like plastic, skin now looks more organic and real. It's still very sharp -- too sharp for my tastes -- but the colours are beautiful and the Auto ISO ramps up and down almost as smoothly as my Nikons, so I can definitely see me using it for gimbal work or personal stuff. I'm really looking forward to playing with the Acros simulation in video, I love it in stills and I think it could be really nice to shoot black and white with it.

Stills wise the new AF-C algorithms are brilliant, it locks and tracks faster than before. This and 4k alone would've sold me on an X-Pro3, I'm staggered they offered it as a free firmware upgrade! Plus the new tethering options mean one less reason to hang on to so many of my Nikon bodies.

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Just tried it out for the first time

It's fucking good.

Looks more like A6500 than X-T2

No crop either. Super fine noise grain.

No crop in 4K really? so you're getting APS-C/S35 4K??

If so that's amazing and makes it almost better than XT2!

IQ is looking pretty sweet too..

7 hours ago, jhnkng said:

Which overlays do you need? All the overlays I have on stay on (except for the photo specific ones). Let me know the ones you like and I can have a look.

Focus peaking would be the main one. Im assuming that you still can't punch in focus whilst recording? Thanks for doing this!

12 hours ago, j-oc said:

Focus peaking would be the main one. Im assuming that you still can't punch in focus whilst recording? Thanks for doing this!

Nope, you can't punch in, and peaking turns itself off during recording. All the overlays you can turn on in the display settings menu stays on, but it seems everything else turns off. You can turn on the focus distance meter and kind of use that to mark your focus points, but it's not that accurate. The worse part is that it won't output a signal to an external recorder unless it's in playback mode, so really there's no getting around it. 

14 hours ago, Django said:

No crop in 4K really? so you're getting APS-C/S35 4K??

If so that's amazing and makes it almost better than XT2!

IQ is looking pretty sweet too..

Ewww

(But probably user error or "Preference") 
The oversharpening and lack of low contrast detail is not a sign of good IQ tbh, looks almost like DJI Mavic Pro footage. The A6500 doesn't suffer from that issue.