2016 vs 2017 MacBook Pro for Resolve?

timepresent

Hey all,

I need a MacBook Pro for Resolve work

Has anyone seen real world difference between the 2016 and 2017 models

2017 with 4gb radeon 560 and Kaby Lake (running faster at same clock and I think longer without over throttling) + 512 drive
VS
2016 with 4gb radeon 460 and Skylake + 1tb drive

Same price now so I am wondering if its better to have the bigger SSD or the faster processed...

(iMac won't cut it b/c I need the portability)
(I need it now so I can't wait to see if there will be 32gb versions next year)

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There is no big difference in performance between between the two models. The GPU is practically the same. 

You can't change anything in the latest models so choose according to your hard drive needs. 

You will see the biggest difference in performance once you use an egpu solution cause resolve needs as much GPU power as you can get. That will work with both models.

1 hour ago, EthanAlexander said:

This is not true!

Sorry, Don you're very knowledgeable but I want to clear this up: SSD can be swapped. Therefore I would definitely get the newer Kaby Lake.

Well, after reading a bit more on this you are right. It's funny how most sites refer to the newer models as non-upgradable, but in reality, the SSD is not soldered and most of them propagate the wrong info (myself included, and I even have one of these damn things). 

Now how wise it is, I am not sure ;)  

Here is the only vendor  I found for those custom made PCI-E SSDs:

https://beetstech.com/product/solid-state-drive-a1708?gclid=CjwKCAiA1O3RBRBHEiwAq5fD_C7YrlEL44i9gw1SsVrMs0HkbtQ6R_XNweVL7BbKBhwSIqbf-s9N-RoC_2AQAvD_BwE

Personally, for the same price (~$1000), I have raided 2 2TB 2.5" SSDs with the Mercury Elite Pro Dual mini. I get ~850MB/s with 4TB and I can connect it to any computer...