G85 my next step?

Dustin

5 hours ago, mercer said:

@Dustin yeah it’s tough to spend money on a hobby, I’ve spent a small fortune over the past couple of years. Honestly, you seem happy with the D5300, so maybe you should just consider keeping it or selling it and upgrade to the D5500 for the Flat Profile. You get consistently good images with the Nikon, so why mess with a good thing?

I think the D5300 is good enough, that if videomaking is just a small casual hobby that you could easily stick with it for another year! 

By next Christmas there will be even more new cameras out, and existing cameras will have fallen to even lower secondhand prices :-D

Now that I've accepted that practically speaking cinematography is but a hobby for me (although occasionally reaching the lofty heights of semi pro), and sound recordist is my true profession, I do need to strongly resist the temptation to buy any new cameras. As I feel a Sony PMW-F3 / BMPCC (plus my cheapie Panasonic MFT cameras for low budget multi camera, such as occasional weddings) can serve me well for now. 

Thus if I am to waste any money next year in 2018 on my hobby it will be on lights (something like a kit of Aputure 120/Tri8/Mini20), which will a) last me longer & b) serve me better in advancing my craft than a new camera body ever would. 

The exceptions to this would be if I get the particular project and thus money from it to justify purchasing a new camera for it. For instance I am hopeful and have my fingers crossed (but certainly not holding my breath! ha) that I'll be shooting a feature film early next year, and I might get a RED ONE or Sony FS700 (or maaaybe a 2nd F3) specifically for that feature. (I'll try to push for the Sony, but I know production would prefer "a RED", so I might need to be pragmatic over that)

The other exception is if in 2018 I see prices drop so dirt cheap low that I just can't resist! (such as a Panasonic G7 for $200ish, or a G80/G85/NX1 for sub $400).

5 hours ago, Dustin said:

Yeah that's another thought I've had. One quirk I've really come to loathe though is changing aperture in video mode. I could get around this with d7500 I guess but that's out of the budget and for that price...

I don't need to change aperture super frequently, and when I do I find it pretty speedy with my D5200 to just switch over into photo mode and then back again. Easy!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@IronFilm That is the conclusion I've come to as well. I actually own a couple lights, an Aputure 528 and a 198, yet I've only used them on one project in the year I've owned them. I probably will just keep the d5300 even though I'm not a huge fan of it on handheld still. If I find a G7 to play with for dirt cheap I might pull the trigger. Otherwise I guess thread over. More films to make!

@IronFilm Now that I'm not spending money on a camera I'm wanting to get a basic on camera/off camera shotgun mic. I'm a fan of the affordable and after watching a few vids on the takstar $30 mic I figure I don't have anything to lose...

Any thoughts on cheapo rode video mic pro knock offs? I have a decent Focusrite audio interface and a few nice mics if I ever needed separate excellent quality audio. 

EDIT-- just went ahead and ordered it anyway. I mean again, $30 isn't gonna make or break me lol! Surely it sounds better than the crappy internal mic. Bleh. Hate it

Getting a mic closer will make a bigger difference than anything else! (except: having a good shooting location! Which is quiet)

Now if you don't have anyone who can hold the boom for you, then wireless lavs are unfortunately your only option. 

But anything under UWP-D11 / G3 is junk, so if you don't have money for those...    get this:

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/26279-crazy-deal-on-tascam-dr10l-only-us139-at-bh-for-the-next-few-hours/

@IronFilm not sure if you follow tom Antos but he posted his short film on YouTube and it’s definitely inspired me. Shot on just the gh4, stupid basic kit lights (if any) and a basic shotgun/zoom combo. It didn’t necessarily wow me but I was wowed at the fact that a lot of us (INCLUDING MYSELF) seem to spend forever talking about gear but not making anything. Hoping to shoot a short film soon as lately all I’ve had time for was artsy home videos.