G85 my next step?

Dustin

Love my Nikon D5300, hate that it doesn't have a stock flat profile, I have shaky hands and prefer to shoot without a rig so I'm really wanting a camera with 5-Axis stabilization. Autofocus isn't necessary. These two have my eye: the G85, Sony A6500.

I plan to shoot 4K to downscale to 1080p and i would have to pick up a lens either way as I'm on a Nikon system. I'm not horribly invested at the moment in it just the d5300 and a tamron 17-50 f2.8. Maybe $600 in street value. I plan to keep it for stills though. 

I know of the above cameras both have ibis and I'm leaning towards whatever is cheapest used. I've been looking on eBay and there are a few g85 bodies that run as low as 4-500 us. I wasn't keen on going to micro 4/3 but for that price what else can I get?

Additionally, I would keep my existing rig going if I could find a good portable rig to hold my d5300. I see youtuber's use gorilla pods and mini tripods, would that really do a decent job if I tucked it in my arm like a shoulder rig?

I want better handheld that looks stabilized without having to carry a monopod or a tripod or some big ole rig. So part two of this post is really, would a mini tripod like the manfrotto do the trick I'm needing? (Would be way cheaper than buying a new camera...)

edit: for the manfrotto mini tripod as a rig I was referring to this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuoGhi9iT2AIVkrfACh3gsgRxEAQYASABEgIYtPD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=983551

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is the one you want....I own two large tripods, but bought this for lightweight work....folds up to 16 inches in length and weighs under 4 lbs...with a little fluid head...not "Production" robust enough, but fantastic if you're only using it yourself....perfect for the G series or GH series Panasonic cameras!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Manfrotto+befree&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&typedValue=&Top+Nav-Search=

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Dustin At $400-500, the G85 is a steal. The Manfrotto you linked to is double the price here in Vietnam, and triple in Singapore and I much prefer it over the gorillapod for the purposes you’ll be using it for. 

Thanks @jonpais. It's certainly the route I'd like to go. For the current term I was hoping that manfrotto might take some shakiness out of handheld if I kept it close to my body? i have a decent bento monopod but for handheld run n gun/family videos when I just wanna shoot it's not as ideal. Think this will do the trick in the near term?

2 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

This is the one you want....I own two large tripods, but bought this for lightweight work....folds up to 16 inches in length and weighs under 4 lbs...with a little fluid head...not "Production" robust enough, but fantastic if you're only using it yourself....perfect for the G series or GH series Panasonic cameras!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Manfrotto+befree&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&typedValue=&Top+Nav-Search=

Thanks for the link man! I apologize for the confusing post but to clarify, I do already have a tripod and monopod, I'm just looking for an almost pocket rig or something small enough to fit in a camera bag that will take away some of the shakiness on my handheld. That tripod looked nice and lightweight though!

Just now, jonpais said:

@Dustin The shape of the Manfrotto fits in my hand perfectly. I think it will do the trick.

Appreciate it! 

@jonpais one more stupid question...it says it supports 2.2 lbs, would this one be more suited to my big tamron zoom? Or would the first one be just fine.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm52hweCT2AIVErnACh09YgHAEAQYEiABEgIyHfD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1178734

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

Ordered the Evo 2! Can't wait to try

I have had one for awhile. I really like it. I can tell you though unless the newest ones have been updated there was a cheap ass "C clip" that holds the 1/4 tripod screw in that broke on mine. I was lucky it broke on my mattress!! And I am not the only one it happen to! I went down to Ace Hardware and got a Better one.

It is able to be put into your pocket if you shrink it down. Nice one use solution. Worth the price.

19 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I have had one for awhile. I really like it. I can tell you though unless the newest ones have been updated there was a cheap ass "C clip" that holds the 1/4 tripod screw in that broke on mine. I was lucky it broke on my mattress!! I went down to Ace Hardware and got a Better one.

It is able to be put into your pocket if you shrink it down. Nice one use solution. Worth the price.

Thanks for the lowdown! I figure for $30 might make me keep the Nikon a little longer for video. (Good enough for me on photos). 

I've been looking today at the  Panasonic GX85 or G85 and they are looking strong as a possible replacement. I could live with the lack of a flat profile and mic input in the GX to gain IBIS and crisper 1080p (4K downscaled). My shooting is mainly personal enjoyment and usually ends up online at most. I've seen a few on eBay in the 250-300 price range used. I'd obviously have to invest in some glass but at $400 or less used that's about what I paid for my refurb d5300 a few years ago. I'm a bargain shooter.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I know it is more but the G85 is the way to go for the money. Last you for a long time.

Just put in a low ball offer on eBay for one. If I get it I will consider that a win.

Will probably start saving up the Christmas money so I can purchase a good used g85 body/lens and somethinf like the lens turbo for the tamron. I don't need 10 Bit of the GH5 and it seems this camera is everything I need in a camera right now. STILL looking forward to the manfrotto grip 

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

I'm a bargain shooter.

Trouble with the bargain stuff you sort of always find some excuse to Not go out and shoot either Photos or video. Ah It can't do that, oh it doesn't have that on and on.

A person needs to get a proven older camera, ergo a Panasonic GH4, a Canon 5D mkII, Panny G85, on and on that works and you have no excuse. You know it works so make it work LoL.

I know a person can shoot good video with about any cheap gear but why unless you just want to make your life harder, and it is hard enough to make good stuff with a Arri Alexa if you don't learn it, use it, figure out it strengths and weakness.

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

Trouble with the bargain stuff you sort of always find some excuse to Not go out and shoot either Photos or video. Ah I can do that oh it does have that on and on.

A person needs to get a proven older camera, ergo a Panasonic GH4, a Canon 5D mkII, Panny G85, on and on that works and you have no excuse. You know it works so make it work LoL.

Right I agree 100%. I know how to use my d5300 to get good results but I'm at a point where I've actually outgrown it. I don't see any point in buying 2-300 shoulder rig or even a cheap steadicam if for a little more I can get some of this new tech that makes our job as filmmakers a tad easier. I can do a good job with the d5300/17-50 combo but I'm ready for a new challenge so yes I agree.

Ahh well stated. I know it is easy to spend Your money LoL, but I think that will end up being a good upgrade, I think even a Panny G7, which I had, is a great camera for the money for video. The G85 is sort of a outgrowth of the G7 with better colors and IBIS. Nice upgrade. Jon on here, the Moderator, has done some really nice stuff using a G85. Now he is rich and using a GH5 LoL.

I am a big fan of Nikon colors but they are just too far behind on their cameras to use on a daily basis for Video use.

Here is a reason I mentioned the Panny G7. It is, and can be this good. I would still go the G85 route if you can, but if not a good option.

http://www.4kshooters.net/2017/12/18/canon-c200-vs-panasonic-g7-can-you-guess-which-is-which/

@webrunner5 yup I had seen that comparison! TBH it was pretty sweet!! Sure I was able to pick out the difference on some of the clips but to the average eye that will bring you back down to reality lol. I doubt the seller will accept my offer on this but I'm definetly thinking about moving some things around to get this kit. 

1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

I bought two G85 bodies a few months ago. Very pleased with them. And I have owned and used Nikon d5xxx's, sony a6300, fuji xt2, samsung nx1, etc. The ergonomics are great and both the 1080p and 4k are sharp and have minimal artefacts like moire. 

What would be my cheapest route to convert the tamron f mount 17-50 f2.8? I actually have a decent kit of vintage primes as I shoot 35mm film and have a few different film cameras. Vintage lenses I could convert include a Olympus OM 50mm 1.8 (fantastically sharp on film anyways), Nikon E Series 28mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8. Not sure how much the 5axis stabilization would help but surely I could use these until I could by a Panasonic lens. Also not sure if I'd want a speed booster/focal reducer? I know the Panasonic prime 1.7's are fairly cheap at under $200.

Well None of them will allow AF that I know of. Some have a Aperture control in them, about 125 bucks, and the rest are just cheap things, like 25 bucks that just adopt it to the body but don't have Any control over the lens. Canon EoS lens do have adapters that can make them work just like on a Canon body, but Nikon lens, well they just don't work only as a MF and then not even being able to control Aperture unless you go the 125 buck route. Now if you use the Old MF lenses you do have aperture on them.