Kinefinity Terra 4k has landed

Raafi Rivero

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I'm thinking about renting this camera one weekend. It's $280 per weekend around here.

EDIT: Nevermind it's the Terra 6K. Is it basically the same with larger resolution?

Different sensor design, has quite a few pros/cons vs Terra 4K. (arguably the Terra 6K is "better", but the Terra 4K is newer and I know people who owned a Terra 6K then sold it once the Terra 4K arrived)

Terra 6K is same sensor as in the KineMAX 6K, while Terra 4K is a totally new sensor for Kinefinity (probably the same one as in the GH5S?). 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Different sensor design, has quite a few pros/cons vs Terra 4K. (arguably the Terra 6K is "better", but the Terra 4K is newer and I know people who owned a Terra 6K then sold it once the Terra 4K arrived)

Terra 6K is same sensor as in the KineMAX 6K, while Terra 4K is a totally new sensor for Kinefinity (probably the same one as in the GH5S?). 

The Terra 4K is looking pretty overpriced compared to the new 4k BMPCC using the same sensor me thinks. But then so is everything else now to me.

Could be. If true, we should see a drop in sales of all sub $10,000 cinema cameras, or at the very least, drastic price reductions and fire sales. I can already see rental houses closing their doors. I also thought the abundance of fast, optically superior f/1.2 - f/1.4 primes would put Metabones out of business, but surprisingly, it hasn’t happened yet. The same prinicipal applies: compact form factor, outstanding image quality, affordable pricing. I really like the image quality I’m seeing from the Kinefinity, and the pricing looks very reasonable to me.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

The Terra 4K is looking pretty overpriced compared to the new 4k BMPCC using the same sensor me thinks. But then so is everything else now to me.

I have been pretty skeptical of Kinfinity as many here know. But from what I have seen after a hands on with both the TERRA is in a different league when compared to the new BMPCC 4K. 

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

I also thought the abundance of fast, optically superior f/1.2 - f/1.4 primes would put Metabones out of business, but surprisingly, it hasn’t happened yet.

People have an investment in their lens collection, and Metabones allows people to use that with a new camera without buying a whole new set of lenses. 

• 3 months later...

Yeah that Mavo LF definitly peaks my interest. But priced over my budget :'( 
Ill buy one when they are 50% off used. 

Geoff boyle ==>

Kinefinity Mavo: it fires up pretty quickly but some of the menus are very confusing, separate settings for EI and ISO?? It’s not ready for general consumption yet, they need to get their post workflow sorted. When they do it could be a very good camera.

I would rate the camera at EI 800 with a highlight latitude of 4 stops, I’m not sure what the shadow latitude is because of post issues but it looks like it could be very good indeed.
Note: I haven’t been able to do a full and good assessment of this camera or the Terra because of the post workflow issues.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Shouldnt Kinefinity drive prices down now there is a much cheaper alternative for their mavo and mavo lf when the F6 and F8 hits the market in october. Its basicly 50% cheaper. So I guess a lot of users will get that instead, so if kinefinity wants to win customers over, now is a good time to do so, before the F6 and F8 hit the market.  

On 4/11/2019 at 9:19 PM, zerocool22 said:

Shouldnt Kinefinity drive prices down now there is a much cheaper alternative for their mavo and mavo lf when the F6 and F8 hits the market in october. Its basicly 50% cheaper.

I imagine RED/ARRI/Canon/Panasonic/Sony largely ignore Kinefinity :-/

4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I imagine RED/ARRI/Canon/Panasonic/Sony largely ignore Kinefinity :-/

Well yeah, big production companies will not change their camera inventory into an unknown brand what their clients dont even know about. Kinefinity is more aimed at freelancers/low budget filmmakers/hobbyists, so Z-cam could def hurt kinefinity(bigger companies will not care)