Kinefinity Terra 4k has landed

Raafi Rivero

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yes, I recalled that which is why I found it strange you're complaining about Kinefinity when they've been nowhere even close to as bad?!

False, Kinefinity has done many things over the years. Some of which has even been reported here on Andrew's blog.

Well I am not going to argue about horse hairs. I have been at the beginning of all of these "breakthroughs" you know as normal now..  I was not born yesterday. What you have, I helped create. It is part of my money that you have in your hands. You are welcome! Enjoy. There are people that came before you that payed for what you got..Remember that!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't like the picture out of Kinefinity, didn't like it from the first test clip I saw years ago. I though they would change that but it is the same, too blue in some shots and too green/yellow in others, skintones are not natural, everything looks cheap and that camera is not that cheap. If you don't need faster slowmo than 4k/60p, C200 is much much better and versatile camera today..

31 minutes ago, guru said:

I don't like the picture out of Kinefinity, didn't like it from the first test clip I saw years ago. I though they would change that but it is the same, too blue in some shots and too green/yellow in others, skintones are not natural, everything looks cheap and that camera is not that cheap. If you don't need faster slowmo than 4k/60p, C200 is much much better and versatile camera today..

I agree... can’t see myself forgoing Canon for this. But at the same time Canon really messed up by not including a middle codec on the C200. If not for that omission I would have purchased it. An I know I’m not alone in that sentiment.

6 hours ago, guru said:

C200 is a super flawed camera: single CFAST bay vs cheap SSDs, wobbly EF mount vs positive lock speed booster EF mount, 1gbps or lowbitrate 8bit vs a whole whackload of codecs, mediocre lowlight vs dual iso.

C200 could've been great with its awesome autofocus, color and great WiFi control, but Canon is greedy and wants to protect its outdated c300mk2.

Speaking of cheap, the top handle arm monitor monstrosity Canon released into the world is horrible. It fucking rattles even after you tighten it down.

On 1/17/2018 at 7:38 AM, SigurdW said:

Thought I'd post this here for the curious who are not part of the Kine FB group.

The only adjustment made to the footage is applying an Arri rec.709 LUT.
Shot with Tamron 24-70 f/2.8.

f/2.8 - 4.0
ISO: 800
25 and 75 fps

Downscaled to 2K and exported in 422.

This looks great! Thanks for sharing!

• Super Members
47 minutes ago, andrgl said:

C200 is a super flawed camera: single CFAST bay vs cheap SSDs, wobbly EF mount vs positive lock speed booster EF mount, 1gbps or lowbitrate 8bit vs a whole whackload of codecs, mediocre lowlight vs dual iso.

C200 could've been great with its awesome autofocus, color and great WiFi control, but Canon is greedy and wants to protect its outdated c300mk2.

Speaking of cheap, the top handle arm monitor monstrosity Canon released into the world is horrible. It fucking rattles even after you tighten it down.

I would still get the Canon if money wasn't an issue. I see little reasons to get the Kinefinity over it besides cost.

58 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I would still get the Canon if money wasn't an issue. I see little reasons to get the Kinefinity over it besides cost.

Well, cost is a great reason to buy any comparable over any other more expensive thing. C200 wins on internal ND and autofocus.

But here are the other reasons to get the Terra 4k over the C200 (besides the already stated ones of SSD, lens mounts, speedbooster, etc.):

• 75 vs 60 max fps at full sensor readout
  • extra stop of dynamic range 14 vs 13 (manufacturer claims, both)
  • internal ProRes
  • smaller
  • lighter

but, yeah, no reason at all to consider it.

Then why have we hardly Ever heard of it, seen it on movie after movie, have people on here just raving about it, proving it video after video? I am mystified that it is sort of not mentioned really at all, when it is That cheap, possibly great, Why? It has been out, hmm.

The video above is really nice until it gets to the end of the shot of the wall, and I just can't place what to say, it just looks lifeless to me, 2D looking, I just can't pin it down. The rest of it looks damn good, even sort of great.

• Super Members

I didn't agree with the earlier mentioned reasons like ssd and I don't care much about the new list of reasons. But thats just me. If that stuff is important to you then thats how it is. For me this camera is to late to the party. BMD, Canon etc already had us covered.

Sorry for the OT, I will stay away from the thread now since I have little to no interest in the gear at hand.

On 1/27/2018 at 9:51 AM, Raafi Rivero said:

Well, cost is a great reason to buy any comparable over any other more expensive thing. C200 wins on internal ND

No, the Canon doesn't "win". 

Kinefinity with eND for the win:

http://www.kinefinity.com/product-category/kine_acc-en/previous-accessories/mount-adapters/?lang=en

On 1/27/2018 at 10:26 PM, jonpais said:

just maybe because bh doesn’t send loaners out to two dozen youtubers for review?

Exactly. The market budget alone of Canon is I bet massively bigger then Kinefinity's budget for everything.

• Super Members

Sending out to youtubers is only the cost of shipping + a couple of hours for an intern handling the information. They only need one camera. I have only reviewed one camera before buying it (LS300) and was in contact with Sony about another. Both companies used a "loaner" that was passed around.
If they are that short on cash I wouldn't buy anything expensive from them since they risk going bust. 

35 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

They only need one camera.

That is a very very slow process. Canon sends out many multiple cameras at once. And Canon would have employed people who manage this. (plus for people like Casey I bet they pay him handsomely as well)

But yes I agree, Kinefinity should take their marketing more seriously and send out loaner cameras. They're starting that though, as Philip Bloom has one (and didn't Andrew Reid have one for a little while years ago?). 

• Super Members

Yes but one doesn't have to do like Canon or give up and go bust. One can at least try to get the word out :) 
Imo its better to get one or two reviews every odd week than 0. Also they could focus and send it to people who knows how to use it.
Of the mainstream bloggers its probably just Philip Bloom and Marcus what ever his name is who's worth the effort. But they would definitely get the word out.

Yeah marketing is one aspect of it, but support is the main issue. I do not want to buy a camera overseas, and if there is a problem need to send it back to China. 

I actually really like the image. But I will not buy it, because I am afraid it will break and I need to send it back to China. + When I am tired of that camera and I want to sell it. There is not a big usergroup looking for the kinefinity camera's, so thats also something I always consider.

1 hour ago, Tim Sewell said:

I think PB has a Kinefinity (can't remember which one) on test at the moment - from his comments on Instagram he seems to quite like it.

It is the Kinefinity Terra 4K that he has. 

39 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

+ When I am tired of that camera and I want to sell it. There is not a big usergroup looking for the kinefinity camera's, so thats also something I always consider.

A chicken and egg problem.

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Yes but one doesn't have to do like Canon or give up and go bust. One can at least try to get the word out :) 
Imo its better to get one or two reviews every odd week than 0. Also they could focus and send it to people who knows how to use it.
Of the mainstream bloggers its probably just Philip Bloom and Marcus what ever his name is who's worth the effort. But they would definitely get the word out.

Do you have any pertinent information on Kinefinity going under?....I considered the Kinemax at some point...personally I love the image out of the camera, and even more importantly as I seem to collect lenses, not cameras, their mount system. The reason I did not go forward was that I found in communicating with both Kinefinty in China and The HD shop in Germany, I was not getting my questions answered, in fact some questions asked over and over during  a period of say 3 emails were ignored. Almost an attitude of you're asking too many questions!  I then let the idea go, with some regret though. From what I understand though, they have a very large market in China, which may explain their seeming disinterest in distributing seriously in the US..of course this is all information from the Web....as for delivery failures, I never believed they could deliver a Global shutter 5K at 14 stops of DR, nor did I believe BMD on the 4.6k....as the Sony F55 demonstrates, there is a penalty for global shutter that few are prepared to pay in terms of DR today...that's why the F65 has been much more successful at rental houses.