iPhone X camera review - 4K 60P on a telephone

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Great article.

"Why do you still need us to take the card out, put it in a computer, open software, re-touch and re-size with a mouse and keyboard, save to a hard drive and then upload the image to Facebook with a web browser? This isn’t 2007."

This haven't been needed in a long time. I transfer raw files from my camera to my phone and edit in Lightroom before uploading. But I get your point :)

12 minutes ago, salim said:

I see this micro stuttering when you were panning. I wonder if the OIS is not that good in video mode. It like the OIS is trying to hold on stability and then they let go and it catches it again. 

It happens with most smartphone cameras since they only compensate for pitch and roll, and not for the yaw axis.

Andrew, are you sure that Filmic Pro can turn off both EIS and OIS? this would be cool because OIS doesn't play well with gimbals like the Osmo.... I read that on older iPhones you could not disable the OIS....

Filmic Pro is probably the best app right now but I'm very frustrated with it... the "manual" exposure control are quite bad IMO. First if you set let say 240 fps capture and it allows to go to 1/60... ISO cannot be really set but just biased and it does not really work well, on low light it may max out at 486 ISO but in day light you can go to 900 ISO.... really wired... Would be cool to be able to set shutter angle and let ISO float and use ND to correct if needed but I could not find a way.... You lock the shutter speed at 1/480 and you try to influence the iso with the bias and boom it changes back to 1/60 even if it is locked....

Also at the moment the framerate are all over the place... you set 240 capture and 240 playback I get a file that 200fps.... if I set 240 capture and 25 playback I get a 15 fps file....

Additionally if you save the file from filmic pro to the photo library is converting it from h265 to h264.... why?

Would be nice to know what is others experience because at the moment I cannot really trust this app....

So for me I really like the iPhone X and the cameras have potential but the apps are not there IMO, the default one is super limited that is almost embarrassing and Filmic Pro has potential but seems very buggy.

As to this CON: Portrait mode shallow DOF works in real-time on screen, so why not in video mode?

I've had some shots where it doesn't even sort out an image on screen or in a still. For instance, if there's not enough distance between your subject and a semi transparent background like a chainlink fence. I've seen portrait mode get confused and blur the fence out in some areas and not others. Same if the subject is in front of a window that the camera can see through in some spots, but where the deeper background is partially obscured by reflections. I would expect trying to apply that level of ai to a similarly confusing situation in video would create strange and awful results.  

• 5 months later...

You've been drinking the Cupertino Kool aid. Neural Nets have been used in quantizing and stream processing for years, they are nothing new and nothing special. Old gif encoders often used neural net quantizing. And often not even particularly effective compared to more traditional algorithms.

Yeah like I said I just got my Apple X, 256gb back from my son. So I need to put it to work as they say. I am pretty impressed with it so far just phone wise. Better than my last iPhone 6s Plus, 256gb.

My Samsung Note 8 I had was just too damn big. My Last Note. I have had 3 of them, no more. Just too damn big and heavy for a pants camera. But for watching movies hard to beat.

I shot this today on the Apple X Photo mode, Not a great one, but not something you don't see very often. Right place, right time. In Hamilton, Ohio.

IMG_0005[1].JPG