3.5k Canon 5D Mark III raw video with Magic Lantern and latest updates

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[media]http://vimeo.com/65260452[/media]

These past days I have been trying to make myself useful to Alex at Magic Lantern and testing the DNG raw video recording on the 5D Mark III with a nightly build of Magic Lantern. Here's what the video quality looks like in the DNG video modes at 30fps.

Click the image below to expand...

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10294/3-5k-canon-5d-mark-iii-raw-video-with-magic-lantern-and-latest-updates]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Looks incredibly detailed. Definitely needing image stabilization in the lens to help with that jello. 

The jello is only like that in 3.5K mode with violent handheld work. The slow mo also makes it look worse than it actually is.

Yep IS would help for that.

• Administrators

I wouldn't be surprised if they activated the feature on the 7D2, after all it already exists.

That's Canon.

They probably have the next 5 years features planned out, and will just turn them on in firmware :)

Does anyone else find it quite funny that an outside programming team have been able to deliver 30fps burst before Canon's own team delivered it to the market!?

I've been trying to help out at Magic Lantern too.  I've been working with the 5D2.  Here is my test:  https://vimeo.com/65192979

Your article helped me understand the whole process a bit better.  I didn't know how to change the resolution settings (changing to jpg and 720p).  I'll try making all those adjustments next.  I thought I'd made a great discovery when I found that it worked with focus assist turned on!

As testers, what should our next step be?  I want to get this feature up and stable fast!

I really don't understand why they play it so safe. They put a smart car governor on a formula 1 motor in almost every camera. I've got the same sensor, and the same processor the C500 has, in my C100....which means somewhere in there, is a little bastard algorithm that won't let me shoot raw. Lol

I agree with above that's some crazy jello with the rolling shutter, and I wouldn't call that violent handheld work, just average motion, so even with a steadicam looks like it'll be evident. But yes, the other videos at lower res do fine, so there's still much to be seen with the progress here~

Hey Andrew, instead of exporting the DNG sequence from After Effects in a Lossless quicktime and then bringing that in to Premiere, try the "Adobe Dynamic Link" feature in Premiere, just look for the AE project, and it will open up all the compositions from that project and just bring it in.  You'll save some disk space and any other changes you do in After Effects will be reflected in the composition that is now a clip in Premiere.  I know is weird that you can't import the DNG sequence directly to Premiere but somehow it reads all those files through After Effects.

Hello, really good review..

So, what are your hopes about seeing a real 2K raw @24 fps? By real i mean not only 10 seconds of raw, but a continuous recording?

And if you think it can't happen, what is the maximum you think we'll can have (at least 1mn would be great)..

Have a nice day all!

Not much has been said on the 5d II? I take it the inside tech of the mk III makes this more feasible?

Unfortunately alot of us are still on the 5d MK II as we didnt feel the need to upgrade to the Mk III. I wonder what the chances are of the Mk II doing everything the Mk III can? 

I guess my question is this still a possibility for 24fps RAW on the Mk II or has attention now been moved to the Mk III?

either way I would never buy a mk III  (from a filming perspective not photography) as thats money better spent on a BMC.

Hey Andrew, instead of exporting the DNG sequence from After Effects in a Lossless quicktime and then bringing that in to Premiere, try the "Adobe Dynamic Link" feature in Premiere, just look for the AE project, and it will open up all the compositions from that project and just bring it in.  You'll save some disk space and any other changes you do in After Effects will be reflected in the composition that is now a clip in Premiere.  I know is weird that you can't import the DNG sequence directly to Premiere but somehow it reads all those files through After Effects.

The trouble with that is that it uses After Effects in the background for playback, not Premiere's engine, so you lose realtime playback most of the time.

tried this with overlay graphics before, but in the end it's worse than just exporting a MOV!