FCP 10.4 with new CC tools, 360°, HDR and Canon C200 RAW

Axel

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Color wheels and curves fixed in 10.4.1? Not sure, because this YouTuber doesn't say what color space he's using and never compares results using the curves or sliders...

You can read rec_709 above the RGB parade on the upper left.

They surreptitiously fixed all but one third of the two existing bugs concerning Color Wheels and Color Board. To recap: Wheels didn't work properly in 709, Board not in 2020. Now if you open an existing project with 10.4.1, FCP forces you to convert it. Why? 

So that everything looks like before. Nothing of he CC work you performed was destroyed. If you test the tools in the existing timeline, the bugs are STILL there.

It's only when you add a new clip and apply wheels in 709 or board in 2020 that you realize the bug is gone - almost. The shadows in the Exposure tab of the Board still have the bug.

On the one hand, kudos to how Apple handled this without ever admitting there were bugs. Then again, why don't the shadows work? 

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

The new closed caption feature is excellent for me though, since I can painlessly add text to interviews and upload them to YouTube. 

Beautiful as always. The subtitles jump. A long line runs from left edge to center, two short lines are centered. Irritating. Don't know how to fix his, never tried Closed Captions myself ...

EDIT: 

Shadows work neither in 709 nor in 2020, neither with the Wheels nor with the Board. Not sure about Midtones. Highlights work everywhere. Tells me once again that Apple is no expert for color.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
49 minutes ago, Axel said:

You can read rec_709 above the RGB parade on the upper left.

They surreptitiously fixed all but one third of the two existing bugs concerning Color Wheels and Color Board. To recap: Wheels didn't work properly in 709, Board not in 2020. Now if you open an existing project with 10.4.1, FCP forces you to convert it. Why? 

So that everything looks like before. Nothing of he CC work you performed was destroyed. If you test the tools in the existing timeline, the bugs are STILL there.

It's only when you add a new clip and apply wheels in 709 or board in 2020 that you realize the bug is gone - almost. The shadows in the Exposure tab of the Board still have the bug.

On the one hand, kudos to how Apple handled this without ever admitting there were bugs. Then again, why don't the shadows work? 

Beautiful as always. The subtitles jump. A long line runs from left edge to center, two short lines are centered. Irritating. Don't know how to fix his, never tried Closed Captions myself ...

EDIT: 

Shadows work neither in 709 nor in 2020, neither with the Wheels nor with the Board. Not sure about Midtones. Highlights work everywhere. Tells me once again that Apple is no expert for color.

The jumping around is thanks to YT. I have noticed this on other YT videos as well. The captions are all centered on my timeline. 

I'm working on a project and this is all of good use to me, thanks for the information everyone.

Can anyone clarify though, if I update to 10.4.1 the CC I've done remains, but do i have to re-add clips and then effects to see the bug fixes? thats a lot of work.

Also, is there any benefit to changing to 2020 once updated? I'm working on a P3 Wide-Gamut Macbook Pro display and will need the CC to appear right on as many devices as possible online. Will I need to regrade everything after changing colour space and do I then export back to 709?

Sorry for all the questions- man colour management is a never-ending rabbit hole.

1 hour ago, cameraeye said:

Can anyone clarify though, if I update to 10.4.1 the CC I've done remains, but do i have to re-add clips and then effects to see the bug fixes? thats a lot of work.

Since in my view the CC section of FCP has become a mess since December, I wouldn't guarantee anything. But as it seems right now, you are safe! Your previous work isn't changed with 10.4.1. Expect the Wheels and the Board to behave differently from now on. Be amused if you can.

1 hour ago, cameraeye said:

Also, is there any benefit to changing to 2020 once updated? I'm working on a P3 Wide-Gamut Macbook Pro display and will need the CC to appear right on as many devices as possible online. Will I need to regrade everything after changing colour space and do I then export back to 709?

2020 is the successor to 709. It swallows 709 completely, it expands it. If you already graded in 709, leave it that. If you graded for 2020, same. If you grade for a classic broadcaster, he will demand 709. Your P3 display is already slightly better than just a good 709 display. These are the majority now, but no longer manufactured. 2020 looks just as good on 709 displays, looks better on new displays. 709 looks good on new displays too. The big changes are yet to come, because 2020 WCG has the same brightness values as 709.

@Axel Thanks for your response!

I read the Apple white paper, a few articles and a few youtube videos around the differences too. Looks like the best way is work in 2020 (assuming a more important project- cat videos need not apply) and then grade another version in 709 for the majority of services for now. It's cool we have an NLE that can work in 2020 if we need it, and regrade past projects to take advantage of it too. I understand from the white paper that upon making a 709 version you should check for clipping and adjust accordingly.

I actually came back to FCPX because colour management in Premiere Pro ruined a grade for me. Albeit the fault of my display, at least Apple have different options and seem to communicate via ColourSync better with their own displays.

P.s. I don't make cat videos.