FCP 10.4 with new CC tools, 360°, HDR and Canon C200 RAW

Axel

Now downloadable from Appstore: 10.4.

Upgraded to High Sierra with APFS today, clean install. No glitches detected so far. New version feels more responsive. Only plugin: Neat (seems to work, but slow as usual). Existing libraries need to be conformed. So beware - a one-way. But no cul-de-sac.

CC tools make me believe (after an hour of playing around) that I won't use Resolve anymore. Apple stole the HSL curves, which I use the most anyway. To monitor HDR, you need very expensive third party hardware, so I skip this for now (long thread I started a year ago). But I was right with one thing: Apple promises an easy SHARE option for various distributions. If PQ (HDR10) needs two versions (one in SDR), Compressor exports the film as a bundle, allegedly fully compatible. We'll see.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm always at least a half a year behind on updating so I can make sure developers have time to play catch-up with their plugins but it's good to hear that you haven't encountered any problems.

The CC tools are definitely exciting but I've been fine with Magic Bullet for the times I don't want to go into Resolve. I'm most likely going to make the switch so I can start taking advantage of HEVC support.

14 hours ago, Axel said:

To monitor HDR, you need very expensive third party hardware ...

Apple says so in it's "FCPX - what's new?" 

But what about:

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C

(specs for 2017 iMac 5k)

???

Could it be that easy?

But I don't think so. There is an in-depth tutorial for the new HDR-tools in french. To be honest, I understand only about 40% with my french back from school:

Doesn't this look just gorgeous?

Updated...

Holy Crap... it runs so smooth. The color tab is so good now. I’ve been using the color board for a while, but I had to jump back and forth between the Color Board, Colorista IV and Color Finale and now there really is no need to...

Everything can be done in the color tab. Since I’ve never used the Hue/Saturation curves in Resolve or Colorista, this is something I need to learn more about.

However, I don’t love the way they implemented LUTS... going into Inspector first seems like an unnecessary step that could have been a subset of the color tab and I don’t like that you can’t control the strength of the LUT, but at least they have made it insanely simple to import LUTS.

Again, if FCPX could just import CDNG files, then I would be completely satisfied.

24 minutes ago, mercer said:

However, I don’t love the way they implemented LUTS... going into Inspector first seems like an unnecessary step that could have been a subset of the color tab and I don’t like that you can’t control the strength of the LUT, but at least they have made it insanely simple to import LUTS.

Why don't you use the Custom LUT effect that allows that? 

39 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Why don't you use the Custom LUT effect that allows that? 

Haha... because I didn’t realize there was such a thing. Thanks. Found it... obviously.

Okay this is better than the inspector method, but I still think it would be better as an option in the color tab.

@EthanAlexander I updated to High Sierra before I updated FCPX. I was tempted to try it without updating to High Sierra, though. One issue I did have is that one of my libraries that I normally have saved to an external drive, saved to my computer’s hard drive instead. Not sure why it happened. It was just my color test library so I ended up deleting it because it wouldn’t let me move it back to my hard drive and it took up too much space on my laptop.

I assume it was a user error and when prompted to update my library I didn’t notice it wanted to save it to my MacBook. However, I never had an issue with any other update...

On 12/15/2017 at 2:46 PM, Axel said:

Apple says so in it's "FCPX - what's new?" 

But what about:

(specs for 2017 iMac 5k)

???

Could it be that easy?

But I don't think so. There is an in-depth tutorial for the new HDR-tools in french. To be honest, I understand only about 40% with my french back from school:

Doesn't this look just gorgeous?

He keeps repeating how simple it is. Not ideal, but no need to buy expensive third party hardware if you’ve got the Flame or Inferno. I’m still waiting on mine, it’s already a week behind.

On 12/16/2017 at 3:42 PM, mercer said:

Funny you mention that, for the hell of it, I tried importing a CDNG clip I made with Raw Magic and it did import the file... every single still.

This has been a long time coming, but still going to try DaVinci Resolve as this is becoming more & more of a standard for grading than most people (including myself) realise - I used nodes for another program & really liked how they worked.

On 16.12.2017 at 8:04 PM, jonpais said:

Not ideal, but no need to buy expensive third party hardware if you’ve got the Flame or Inferno. I’m still waiting on mine, it’s already a week behind.

Are you sure?

Please share with us the way you connect your Inferno to your Mac. Someone recommended putting a BM Decklink Mini 4k into an Akitio Node Lite housing, which would be ~$650 instead of $2500 for an AJA box or BM 4k Studio Extreme.