FCP 10.4 with new CC tools, 360°, HDR and Canon C200 RAW

Axel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
13 minutes ago, jonpais said:

So I thought I'd try it in Resolve, but the Studio version that was included with my Video Assist won't even open. Nothing's going right today! Time to start shooting Fuji Acros. :) 

I can hook you up :)

I shoot acros all the time. Love it. Strangely I prefer it in 35mm vs MF. Dont know why.

Stand development in Rodinal looks great.

14 hours ago, jonpais said:

An entire day wasted, but I finally found it! First, hit the tab marked Basics at the bottom of Inspector. Then, hit 'Settings'. Then in color space, change it from HLG to rec.709. shazaam!

Thank you so much Jon! Was about to upgrade tonight, this is a lifesafer!

On 12/19/2017 at 10:38 AM, Axel said:

Are you sure?

Please share with us the way you connect your Inferno to your Mac. Someone recommended putting a BM Decklink Mini 4k into an Akitio Node Lite housing, which would be ~$650 instead of $2500 for an AJA box or BM 4k Studio Extreme.

Should be a thunderbolt to hdmi dongle for a few bucks.

8 hours ago, Asmundma said:

Should be a thunderbolt to hdmi dongle for a few bucks.

In between holiday duties I just watched all FCP X VUG recordings on Youtube. In the recent one (jump to 56'53"), the question is whether you can use a Blackmagic 4k interface to bring HDR to an external monitor. Mark Spencer says, no, it has to be the AJA i/o. In order to set the flags for PQ vs. HLG and the brightness peaks right or whatever. That's telling me, become sober!

Imagine you buy such a device and you buy some so-so HDR monitoring display right now, that's a lot of money. And soon afterwards (according to a site recommending the right time to buy new Apple hardware through average product cycles), that means in the first half of 2018, a new line of iMacs is promoted. They might actually have HDR-capable displays. These may not be top-notch then, but have the advantage of an all-in-one system. They'd cost little more (maxed out) than the external stuff available now. 

Imo it's best to be patient, keep an ungraded version of any LOG project that's likely to still be of interest next fall/winter, and in the meantime follow the efforts of the early adopters. I do not even have an own HDR TV yet ...

On 25.12.2017 at 6:45 PM, jonpais said:

An entire day wasted, but I finally found it! First, hit the tab marked Basics at the bottom of Inspector. Then, hit 'Settings'. Then in color space, change it from HLG to rec.709. shazaam!

Works as a charm, even already within the browser. Thanks so much, jon!

A serious warning concerning the new Color Wheels. You might already have sensed that they behave somewhat weird. Now Simon Ubsdell has published a video explaining that they don't use the traditional lift-gamma-gain controls (like the color wheels in Resolve, in Apples Color, in Lumetri and in every other CC program). This renders the tool completely useless to efficiently adjust contrast in your image, you still need the Color Board for that (or set the necessary limitations to the ranges manually in Color Curves). Comments have been deleted over night, not sure why. I posted this on fcp.co yesterday, and the post was almost completely ignored. I think everybody should be aware of that. 

Yes, Don, you're right. It's just funny that everybody raves about the long-awaited wheels without noticing that they offer less than the iMovie-ish Colorboard. Or without admitting it. I asked Mark Spencer in the comments to his Ripple Training, and he answered: "All color adjustments are iterative." 

Maybe over time we all realize the ingeniousness of those wheels, because getting it right in many time-consuming increments is possibly the most precise way to do it. This reminds me of a children's book of mine, in which two guys want to share a sausage. The smarter guy says, it's not exactly half, let me bite off the difference. In the end, of course, he has consumed the whole sausage.

On Creative Cow, someone has found that indeed in a 2020 project the Color Wheels work properly (and really well), whereas in 709 they are a mess. Best advice would be: stay away from the wheels if you are grading for rec_709! Nobody knows what happens when in the next update this gets fixed. You very probably lose all your rec_709 CC for existing projects ...

So you need to use the Colour Board for Rec709 & the Colour Wheels for Rec2020 - both are affected by whatever Apple have done. But if you read through some of Apple's advice, it does state that if you're using Log clips then you should use the Wide Colour Gamet selection - so does that mean that you CC in Rec2020 & then export in Rec709? I've found the colour board almost useless if you try to bring back Log footage, since you really have to ramp everything up to levels that the old version didn't require you to do. Therefore, it does appear that they've really messed things up & they really need to address this in an update.

The other new additions to FCPX are really great & it still is the quickest NLE out there. So DaVinci Resolve here i come.....

17 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Therefore, it does appear that they've really messed things up & they really need to address this in an update.

Look, what bothers me most is not that Apple missed a bug here (though it's not exactly awesome that this slipped their QA). It's the reaction of the FCP X fanbase, among them famous Ripple trainer Mark Spencer, who openly denies that something is wrong. Despite clear evidence. By some individuals, Ubsdell was treated like a traitor, and I find this contemptible. I'm not one of these blinded. I still think FCP is best for editing.

17 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

The other new additions to FCPX are really great & it still is the quickest NLE out there. So DaVinci Resolve here i come.....

And still, even if the new CC tools all worked as expected, Resolve is faster for serious grading. Nodes are more appropriate for organization, there is an easy wipe/splitscreen mode, and I love the still store. I can have best of both worlds, fortunately, because I find the roundtripping very easy and reliable.

5 hours ago, Axel said:

Look, what bothers me most is not that Apple missed a bug here (though it's not exactly awesome that this slipped their QA). It's the reaction of the FCP X fanbase, among them famous Ripple trainer Mark Spencer, who openly denies that something is wrong. Despite clear evidence. By some individuals, Ubsdell was treated like a traitor, and I find this contemptible. I'm not one of these blinded. I still think FCP is best for editing.

And still, even if the new CC tools all worked as expected, Resolve is faster for serious grading. Nodes are more appropriate for organization, there is an easy wipe/splitscreen mode, and I love the still store. I can have best of both worlds, fortunately, because I find the roundtripping very easy and reliable.

Haven't really engaged in fanbase BS - it's a great NLE for editing & much better/quicker than what I used in the past (AVID etc...). What has become apparent, is that if you're trying to CC any ETTR Log footage then you really have to push things to the max, but the footage holds up & the only niggle is that I'm not that comfortable having to have things at 100%. To be honest, I don't really care about wheels or boards, as it's all the same in the end.

I used to use a program with nodes - they are so much easier to use & the viewing aspect of the different effects is much nicer to look at. I am def going to get into Resolve as I've already missed out on a few jobs where Resolve was a must, which is a nice change as it used to be AE & PP.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is part III of my workflow for grading HDR in FCP using the Ninja Inferno. This part is a little sketchy, but it's getting late, so I'll have to double-check everything and maybe even call customer support in the morning if I can't figure it out. But we're getting close to our objective.

Part III

Note: This section is a work in progress! I’m getting flickering on the monitor. I’ll contact Blackmagic Design and Atomos first thing in the morning and get this sorted out.

@jonpais

720p 60?

Did you try other settings?

It could be worth trying AV out in Resolve. Once that works (may or may not work better), you can launch FCP parallelly. Sounds weird, but may help.

@Axel I actually set it to 1080 24p. I am a little closer to an answr, but this is really frustrating. First, UltraStudio is supposed to be compatible with just about every system and NLE under the sun. It says so right on the box! ? I thought I’d post my question in the BM forums, but there are 10,000 questions, very few answers! ? Anyway, this is where we stand now - Desktop Video is working. UltraStudio is working. Ninja working. However, when you install Desktop Video, there is another app called Media Express that also appears in the Applications folder. I believe it is a player. I believe it must be opened in order to use an external monitor. But when I go to open it, it doesn’t recognize the UltraStudio and won’t open. I Googled and couldn’t find a solution. If I can figure this out, I can continue publishing workflows. If not.... 

• 2 months later...

Color wheels and curves fixed in 10.4.1? Not sure, because this YouTuber doesn't say what color space he's using and never compares results using the curves or sliders... The new closed caption feature is excellent for me though, since I can painlessly add text to interviews and upload them to YouTube.