Sign in to follow this  
whoisjsd

How to get Golden Flares with the SLR Magic Anamorphot

It's easy! Just make everything golden....

CDDFAAB0-4928-4AFC-BE7B-11EF95B42243.thumb.jpg.01abea7ea0d24e747b5daab0f62189a8.jpg

Specs:
Panasonic GH5, C4K 24fps 400mb/s ALL-I
M42 Lens Turbo II
Iron Glass Modified Helios 44-M 58mm
Kenko YA 3 orange filter

I had been thinking of ways to make use of the SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 outside of it’s basic look. I have a small collection of orange filters that I had been getting cheap on Yahoo auction for a year now, and decided to make use of one of the larger ones I have. A lot of people complain about the strong blue flares on the Anamorphot-50 and how contrasty and out of place they can be. Well, I think I fixed that. Now they’re a nice golden color… but so is everything else. Not that I mind, I think for some projects this would work well.

The only disappointment from this shoot was that the Iron Glass Helios 44M is useless wide open on the Anamorphot. Even though the Anamorphic disc inside the lens brings the minimum to a f/3.5,  the Lens Turbo II brought it to a f/2.5. I shot some tests in Shinjuku wide open a few days ago and they were all unusable. I think I shot most of the Golden Afternoon video at f/4 on the lens. With the Animorphic bokeh filter and the Lens Turbo, I don’t even want to think about the math to figure out what I was actually shooting at.

I didn’t have my regular M42 adapter with me, so I just shot as-is. I want to try more to see if I can get a decent image wide open. I was really hoping for that orange/blue/violet hinted image. You can still see a bit of blue/purple in a few shots. The aperture changed the colors slightly depending on how far I was stopped down. I’d love to try an amber Helios with a blue filter someday.

Shooting 400mb/s gave me a lot of information to work with. I did play around with a few shots to see how many colors I could bring back, but that’s for another test. When shooting raw photos, I could get about 80% of the original colors back. Looking forward to playing with these kinds of setups more :)

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs