DJI X5R

mercer

Has anyone ever used the X5R with the Osmo handle? Most footage online is drone footage. 

But last night a friend of mine showed me some DJI Osmo footage and I went searching and found this video. In the comment section, the creator said it was shot entirely with the X5R, but I’m pretty sure that some of the end footage was older stuff shot in ML Raw. But either way, the opening is insane... I was blown away...

Now I know the X5R has been out a while now and it has its issues and that the X7R is on the horizon with a S35mm sensor, but for the money and the ability to use fairly inexpensive M4/3 lenses, the X5R is pretty intriguing.

Since I’m not really into drones it was never on my radar but with the Osmo handle, this could be an amazing tool. 

Any info from some users would be appreciated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
27 minutes ago, mercer said:

Has anyone ever used the X5R with the Osmo handle? Most footage online is drone footage. 

But last night a friend of mine showed me some DJI Osmo footage and I went searching and found this video. In the comment section, the creator said it was shot entirely with the X5R, but I’m pretty sure that some of the end footage was older stuff shot in ML Raw. But either way, the opening is insane... I was blown away...

Now I know the X5R has been out a while now and it has its issues and that the X7R is on the horizon with a S35mm sensor, but for the money and the ability to use fairly inexpensive M4/3 lenses, the X5R is pretty intriguing.

Since I’m not really into drones it was never on my radar but with the Osmo handle, this could be an amazing tool. 

Any info from some users would be appreciated.

I had an X5R Osmo for about 6 months. The image was lovely but I had to sell it because:

1. For the workflow you have to go through DJI’s Cinelight. They barely updated it, it’s full of bugs and is very slow. Crashed a lot. Incredible time waster.

2. The SSD would regularly eject itself, or it couldn’t be read on the Osmo. Sometimes it wouldn’t let me play back the files on the app. 

3. The app would regularly not connect to the Osmo. The feed breaks up a lot. 

4. The footage was sometimes clearly missing DNG frames. So the footage would stutter and jump when viewing after conversion to ProRes. 

5. The X5R eats your phone battery, and the Osmo battery. If using the setup regularly, you need to hook the Osmo up to an Inspire battery and your phone to a USB power bank. Certainly negates the portability.

6. The stabilisation isn’t great. It behaves nothing like other single handed gimbals and is very prone to up / down and side to side movement. 

There are much better options for the money. The X5R Osmo comes across as a mashed together experiment which doesn’t work well enough for regular use. 

Image is lovely though. ;) 

1 hour ago, Neumann Films said:

Yes! This is one of my favorite setups!  I got a shot with the handle while hanging outside of our car of the Tetons that is really only possible with this.

The shot at 0:49 specifically but there are a few more with the Osmo in the video as well.

Luke that’s gorgeous. The color reminds me of ML Raw... were you LUTS designed to mimic Canon color?

I’ve read a lot of the quirks, some of which @Oliver Daniel mentioned in his reply,  but for the price it’s an absolute gorgeous image and the video I linked to is some of the best looking footage I have seen from a camera t that price point.

I am pretty happy with my 5D3, so much so that I am selling off a bunch of lenses and equipment I used for other systems, that I don’t see myself needing anytime soon. But I have been looking for another option in my tool kit and this could be exactly what I’m looking for.

Do you have any links to good videos or reading material about the X5R?

On 12/11/2017 at 9:39 AM, Oliver Daniel said:

1. For the workflow you have to go through DJI’s Cinelight. They barely updated it, it’s full of bugs and is very slow. Crashed a lot. Incredible time waster.

Do you have to? Couldn't you use some other software instead to handle the DNGs?!

1 minute ago, IronFilm said:

Do you have to? Couldn't you use some other software instead to handle the DNGs?!

I think it works like ML Raw, you have to use the CineLight program to process to DNG or ProRes... not sure why but it seems that way from their website. The X5S eliminates that process but you need the drone and they don’t have an Osmo handle for it yet.

Now for someone like me a hobbyist, narrative filmmaker who has nobody to answer to or real deadlines, I can work around those restrictions, but for someone who makes their living off of their gear, I can understand how it may be an obstacle...

But holy shot that image is just gorgeous.