Experience with Viltrox adapters on Panasonic GX* cameras?

ibd

So, Viltrox has just released a smart adapter + focal reducer (x0.71, 1 stop light gained) for Canon EF to m4/3 mount:
https://www.43rumors.com/just-announced-viltrox-ef-m2-electronic-adapter-f-booster-0-71x-canon-ef-mft-m43/

I am considering buying one of them as the metabones is too expensive for me.
However their official compatibility list doesn't include any modern Panasonic cameras other than the GH4 and GH5.

Does anyone have experience with Viltrox adapters working or not working on Panasonic GX8, GX80/GX85?
From what I've seen, Viltrox has since a while released other adapters, such as a smart adapter (no focal reducer) for EF, a focal reducer for Nikon F, and others. Anyone has tried one of these?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've been curious about this too. 

I currently use the Lens Turbo ii and while it's generally pretty good, it does have some issues with blue/purple flaring in backlit situations. Reading through the reviews of the Viltrox EF - sony E speedbooster, I can't really find anyone reliably describing the quality. 

For $150 or so, I'll probably end up getting it to test out so I can use the Sigma 35mm Art on the Gh5.

I have the version without glass (EF-M1) and the one with focal reducer discussed above is on its way (EF-M2).
On my G7, I can electronically adjust aperture, but autofocus does not work at all.

I contacted the company that makes / distributes them, Sharpest Light Limited, through facebook. They are very responsive, but for now confirmed that g7 and other mid-tier camera's are not supported. See the list below.

If there is enough interest however, they would look into it. Maybe that USB port will get some usage then!

So by all means, send them an email or FB msg :-)

Personally, I think they are leaving money on the table if they don't fix this. Everybody is craving a cheaper electronic alternative to the (admittedly excellent) Metabones Speedbooster.

EF_M12_CN_01_jpg

From this post on Facebook (closed group, must enter group first), it seems there's quite some interest in this adapter. I hope some reviews will be available soon, telling us about the optical quality. As for compatibility, I have found some taobao seller that claims several models should be supported (including G7 and GX* cameras), however we will see if that's true. 

@Timotheus do you happen to know if Sharpest Light Ltd. is just a distributor / seller of these adapters, or if they work more closely together with Viltrox? We should make sure the FW update requests reach the right people! :D 

I have been discussing this adapter in the G7/G80 users facebook group, also people interested over there.

There is a version with focal reducer underway to me, so then I can confirm whether that one works on my G7 (the Ef-M1 did not autofocus, as stated). In the discussion in the GH5 group you linked to, there was a guy who had his G80 working with AF, so there are models that are not officially supported, but DO work. I guess you'll just have to wait for a review, someone with a GX* will eventually cave in, I guess ;-)

As for your question: I don't know for sure whether Sharpest Light are both manufacturer and distributor, or distributor only. I think the latter (see their homepage). They are however the only party on FB directly advertising this adapter and open for contact.

On the Viltrox page, there is a contact emailadress info@jyc-hk.com perhaps try that one as well? (I will).

• 3 weeks later...

I just compared the Viltrox 4/3 to M4/3 smart adapter against the $120 more expensive Olympus MMF-3 adapter and they have identical AF performance with the Olympus 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 attached to a GX85. And when I say identical, I mean identically slow. It would be fine for still photography where the subject is being still but unusable for video AF. Image quality was also identical. This was with the non-SWD version of the lens, SWD lenses might be better...I don't have any to test. 

Physically, the Viltrox feels more solid than the MMF-3 but has just a hair more play between the lens and the adapter. Both are good and tight against the camera body.

With the Viltrox being just as good as the Olympus adapter, I would definitely give their focal reducer a try.

Image1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...