Strange image Issue with GH5 :(

Wild Ranger

Hi everyone.

I'm having a problem with my gh5, i started to notice a strange vertical line in the picture, is not noise pattern( i think) because it doesn't move, actually is like if the image has two slightly different exposures in the frame. This happens only(or at least is noticeable) in low lit situations. Also is visible when a strong light source hits one side of the frame, for example: a small lamp in a low light room, or the light of a windows in a normally lit place. here a show a more pronounced  example (look at the right side) Can you see the perfectly vertical separation? (sorry for the image quality).

P1004174.thumb.jpg.66c92481029b156eb10b30084decba09.jpg

I updated the firmware to 2.1 and it doesn't help. I'm thinking that could be more software related because, if this is a problem with the sensor, when i activate the IBIS then it should move, but it doesn't. Also tried different recording modes and resolutions, all pictures styles (except Vlog, i don't have it). Also in raw photos.

If any can have an idea...

Also i invite to anyone to try an recreate the problem and post it here to see if this is a bug or issues Panasonic didn't notice or address.

Cheers!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 10 months later...
19 hours ago, Sergio Revino said:

Hi @Wild Ranger

I'm having the same problem on my footage. I used original panasonic battery, HOYA variable density filter, Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card. I was shooting during the golden hour. I have a vertical distortion on the same side of the frame as yours. Did you find anything that caused this?

Thanks in advance!

Sergio

Hi Sergio, it's been a long time since i had this issue. I have send my camera to panasonic, also tested 2 more models, tried different recording modes, NTSC, PAL, etc. 4k, 6k... Nothing changed, it's there. So a came to the conclusion that it's a fixed noise pattern in the sensor, something that seems all GH5 have. It's a pity but I found it's an issue that rarely bothers, it generally appear when you underexpose too much the image, like any noise pattern.

Since then I had the opportunity to work in several projects with the camera and this have never bothered my again, it's not something that appears in general use.

Hi @Wild Ranger

Thank you very much for your response. I also brought it to local panasonic suppport center. They replaced the sensor. The artifact is still there. But it makes me feel so much better, that having this issue in camera you managed to create great videos with it. :) (I found Youtube channel link in your profile).

Thanks again and have a great day!

Best regards,

Sergio

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, FinnChristianPeper said:

Any news on this issue? Im having the same vertical line in my footage

Nop. As i mentioned before, I have keep using the camera and never faced the issue again. it's obviously a fixed noise pattern issue, there's no fix. Just don't underexpose too much!!!