Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LimitBreak

Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 brings 10 bit Rec 2020 UHD 60 FPS 4K video recording to smartphones

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

at this point, unless ur in the biz making money, it's silly to go out and buy a dedicated camera if ur just gonna take home vids. my iphone x can do more than what most dedicated cameras can do. it does 4k 60 and 240fps in fhd. no sony camera (right now anyway) can do that. it's much more convenient to just use my phone as opposed to carrying around a big, bulky camera. sony especially is very behind considering the fact they don't have a cam out on the market that can do what the iphone x can do in terms of vid stuff, if you know what i mean 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ryne275 said:

at this point, unless ur in the biz making money, it's silly to go out and buy a dedicated camera if ur just gonna take home vids. my iphone x can do more than what most dedicated cameras can do. it does 4k 60 and 240fps in fhd. no sony camera (right now anyway) can do that. it's much more convenient to just use my phone as opposed to carrying around a big, bulky camera. sony especially is very behind considering the fact they don't have a cam out on the market that can do what the iphone x can do in terms of vid stuff, if you know what i mean 

Knock yourself out. Take those awesome specs and actually film something interesting. 

That's what it's there for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ryne275 said:

at this point, unless ur in the biz making money, it's silly to go out and buy a dedicated camera if ur just gonna take home vids. my iphone x can do more than what most dedicated cameras can do. it does 4k 60 and 240fps in fhd. no sony camera (right now anyway) can do that. it's much more convenient to just use my phone as opposed to carrying around a big, bulky camera. sony especially is very behind considering the fact they don't have a cam out on the market that can do what the iphone x can do in terms of vid stuff, if you know what i mean 

Perhaps, but if you ever film indoors, or at night then smartphones falls seriously behind very quickly. True you can light your scenes, but that means carrying a lighting kit with you :grin: 

Both are good tools and both can be appropriate in given situations. I do think the day w ill come that smartphones can outperform the current batch of cameras. But to do so will require a radical breakthrough in sensor technology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's curious how any kind of tech argument in photo and video nowadays, cannot go without someone randomly mentioning the iPhone as the gold standard in everything, regardless of the apples to apples context. It's a mix of trolling and a some kind of grandiose freudian disillusion. We had a producer, on a project, once mention, how she could take better photos with her iPhone than the Canon 5D ii/iii. She was, obviously, the butt of all private jokes for the longest. We even discuss her nowadays when some other iPhone possessing cretin comes up with another ludicrous argument. I guess Apple should be thanked for their contribution to modern memes. 

On 07/12/2017 at 3:36 AM, LimitBreak said:

Amazing how more advanced your smart phone will be compared to your DSLR !

The processor will probably be in Samsung's S9 early next year. Other manufactures will showcase it at CES in January.

10bit video in smartphones may actually be amazing. And it is indeed strange how slow developments in ILCs have been, in comparison to smartphones. 10bit video does indeed sound terribly exciting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is nothing magic to it. Better processors, better sensors, better and faster pipeline will produce better photos in the future. iPhone has nothing to do to it, and usually Apple is late, or last, to the game, so nothing really to see here. I know X is the most exciting Apple product the last few (a lot) years, well done for them, bravo, that doesn't  diminish the fact that usually they are 2 or 3 years behind the technological frontiers. It took some of my friends 3 years and a lot of thousands of euros, to match my Chinese mobile specification, that I had bought for 225 euros.

The X in my country costs 1199 euros (I know, not even 1200) and the higher version 1499 euros. It better take good photos, because my slightly thin editing laptop with i7/GTX1060 6GB/16GB RAM/SSD+HDD cost 1298euros, and the iPhone certainly isn't editing 4K multicam projects. Back then I bought, new, body only, my beloved NX1 for less than 1199euros, so put those numbers in perspective. The revolution would be if the X cost 699euros, and offered 1" sensor. 

Take your examples for the legends of the auto industry. Iconic cars like the Beetle and mini, the 500 and 2CV, were revolutionary, because with little, they could do much. Today's Mini, is just an extremely expensive very small car, that brakes often. It isn't a legend, and it won't be. iPhone X will not be written in history, it is just one of the most expensive phones, that in a few months Samsung will surpass it, easily. In a way, that is why Samsung NX1 is kind of classic, because for so little money, does so many things good, and ergonomically, is probably the best camera ever made.

There is no way that pro, or prosumer, photo/video equipment will vanish. It is different to replace a compact camera with your phone, and different to try to make a living out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be interesting to see what the Red Hydrogen brings to this debate. 10bit? Or will it ship with quite basic - albeit competent - specs with the corollary that this, that and the other will all be possible - but only with an add-on module.

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sanveer said:

It's curious how any kind of tech argument in photo and video nowadays, cannot go without someone randomly mentioning the iPhone as the gold standard in everything, regardless of the apples to apples context. It's a mix of trolling and a some kind of grandiose freudian disillusion. We had a producer, on a project, once mention, how she could take better photos with her iPhone than the Canon 5D ii/iii. She was, obviously, the butt of all private jokes for the longest. We even discuss her nowadays when some other iPhone possessing cretin comes up with another ludicrous argument. I guess Apple should be thanked for their contribution to modern memes. 

10bit video in smartphones may actually be amazing. And it is indeed strange how slow developments in ILCs have been, in comparison to smartphones. 10bit video does indeed sound terribly exciting.

I have both the iPhone X and Note8. Of the two I think the iPhone X edges out the Note8 in the camera department. But as a productivity tool the Note8 wins hands down. The new chip should once again secure Samsung’s traditional camera dominance. They didn’t really try with the Note8, and that was a bit disappointing. Instead opting to largely reuse the camera from the S8.

i don’t think this race is going to stay on equal ground. A radically new sensor technology, that is not handicapped by size will make its way into smartphones. That’s when things will get interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DBounce said:

I have both the iPhone X and Note8. Of the two I think the iPhone X edges out the Note8 in the camera department. But as a productivity tool the Note8 wins hands down. The new chip should once again secure Samsung’s traditional camera dominance. They didn’t really try with the Note8, and that was a bit disappointing. Instead opting to largely reuse the camera from the S8.

i don’t think this race is going to stay on equal ground. A radically new sensor technology, that is not handicapped by size will make its way into smartphones. That’s when things will get interesting.

I agree. Until the S6 and S7, Samsung Cameras seemed way above the competition. Since then, they've slowed down. Samsung should consciously avoid completing with iPhones. That's usually aiming low. Except perhaps the iPhone X which had seen a huge improvement in photo and video. Though, TBO, only mildly better than the Note 8.

I hope Samsung makes one version of the S9 Specifically for Professionals who use the phone for photo and video (Vloggers, Smartphone Filmmakers and people who use smartphones for photos for blogs and making content).

I am also hoping for a superb new sensor (apart from improved processing) to beat the competition by a noticeable margin. 

Super long battery, extra long battery life and super fast file transfer (comparison with the fastest USB version would be great) would be great additions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that this technology is coming to the market shortly anything less than 10bit rec 2020 4K 60fps on the Red Hydrogen without the modules will be a disappointment.  My Note 8 does a good not great job at video (compression artifacts, low bitrate), but I will happily update to the 9 if the SD845 can meet my expectations.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×