Iscorama 2004 monobloc anamorphic lens

Hello guys,

I found two beautiful and in great shape Iscorama 2004.
I don't know if you already know the Iscorama 2000s serie, but wikipedia says the 2004 has an Isco 36 MC anamorphic element and a Leica 50mm f/2 as donor lens. Which make it one of the most qualitative lens from the brand.

38052147134_4061827a98_z.jpg.c38c67d310e43b633d24a8e3a0a3bb0a.jpg37882003935_80553d1f3a_z.jpg.19274379fef039053eb96f2f960b13d1.jpg

37882001635_68a8faee66_z.jpg.032de59e4c597a6ab8fc723d67ac8893.jpg

I'm looking forward to take more pictures with them. Here's one taken with the Sony A7.

5a26ff943154e_Anamorphic_142_0010_Layer2.thumb.jpg.0471be02cd2c2895a1993537e366cd8c.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

oh my goodness the Iscorama bubble... don't get to0 excited about these! I owned also 5 or 6 of those. But aren't these monoblocs coupled with Isco42? I sold them rather fast and got some proper anamorphics from the gold series! They are so sharp and don't destroy your image with defects like flares and so on. Yeah we want it crisp and clean. I also sold my Marshall adn VoxAC30 and play the guitar directly on Yamaha Monitor ONE.

Honestly: Great "find"!!! :) However I would sell one and get a 54 as addition. That brings some flexibility into the game. Enjoy that beautiful glass!

Hi Rudolf :)

Why shoudn't I be excited by them ?

It's written Isco 36 on the box, so I guess the amamorphic element is a 36.

What gold serie lens are you refering to ?

After some test pictures by day and night : no flares, pretty sharp with a little bit of deformation.

I want to sell one indeed, how much do you think I can sell one nowdays ?

The last one I saw was the one from Macgregor ^^

Hi medegh2, I am very sorry! I was sure the irony is pretty obvious... Apologies for my weird sense of humor :) 

As I mentioned: Absolutely great find!!! I am jealous and never owned such thing. These are really rare. I thought they look like a 42 because they don't look like the older Iscoramas 32/36 without the rubber. Again - enjoy shooting and handle with care ;)

Hi =)

Haha, I really did not catch the irony there, you were pretty convincing ^^
I was wondering why no people answered to the topic since I realized those lenses were really good and rare.

I sent the two lenses to a full checkup at an old lens repair man. After that, planning to test them rightfully.

You are right regarding the answers. Maybe too many people thought this is just another "I am selling..." thread. Unfortunately too many people misuse this forum. (there is a marketplace on EOSHD!). Of course I am very interested!!! I am really looking forward of more sample pictures and maybe some videos :)

Very nice.. Is there any advantage over pairing an Isco 36 with an appropriate lens using this 2004 (other than it is like one lens, not two lenses with alignment issues and whatsoever?) What about the minimum focus distance?

Dammit dude, where do you find such a lens, let alone two! LOL
Well done man... Would you mind posting some more details and pictures? I remember these being long.

What lens mount do the have? Is the anamorphic bloc detachable from the taking lens? What's the squeeze factor?

So many questions haha...However this very thread might help sell you one of those later on, as there is not very much info on the web on these lenses. Btw in the current market you should get an excellent price for a sharp single focus solution.

Hi guys,

Lets answer to you :)

Rudolf, I'll do a lot more tests when the lens come back from the repair guy :)

Jase, the 2004 is a monobloc lens, you cannot separate the anamorphic element and the taking lens. So you don't have any alignment issues. The minimum focus distance is 2 meters.

Thimotheus, the story is pretty fun (for me at least ^^). My girlfriend (who brings me a lot of happiness and definitely luck) insisted a lot for us to go to a local thrift shop. I didn't want to go in the first place because I knew there will be only crappy stuffs. She insisted again. I was grumpy on the way. Anyway we arrived at the junk shop, looked around a bit. There was indeed a lot of crap in pretty bad shape. In a pile of lenses : two Isco-Optics boxes. With the two 2004s. Finding one would have been enough luck, imagine two ^^.

They have Leica R mount since the donor lens is a Leica 50mm f/2 Summicron. The anamorphic element is not detachable. The squeeze factor is 1.42x.

I sent both lens for a checkup at a repair shop. I'll take more picture and videos when I'll have them back. I'm really happy, it's been years I wanted a monobloc anamorphic, the SLR Magic Anamorphot did not really convinced me in the first place (I was one of the testers).

20171119_163337.thumb.jpg.a6b0061e7418febbe2f0855ecbfde4a8.jpg20171120_203527.thumb.jpg.5644d991b5ec43c8c20f20b72b8d0018.jpg20171120_203552.thumb.jpg.567ebc8afbbf53c7c57f66f5cb2c4abd.jpg20171120_223341.thumb.jpg.a267d09cdf024ecfa348d6b830cca7f2.jpg20171126_143827.thumb.jpg.ef8faebdf31b880fdb759ab1a9354ed9.jpg

This picture was taken fast in the cold with a Sony A7.

5a3053e54b56f_001_Kodachrome64_compressed.thumb.jpg.f912a2f86e73a5bf392cf5d42c8ee406.jpg

OMG what a story hahaha. Thank you, girlfriend.
Fantastic find and I imagine the price was nice as well.

And what a nice compact design also. Well, enjoy your lenses (I hope your repair man knows what he's doing) and if you have time feel free to make us envious with more sample pictures ;-)

Fantastic! Buy your girlfriend a nice present - maybe not at the thrift shop :). Lenses look fantastic and sample image as well. I cannot imagine there is much work for the repair guy. They look like new :)

However I never understood why Isco made a monobloc without the possibility to detach the lenses. This is totally sensless. I think these monoblocs were made for SLRs. Once you shot your 8mm (Iscomorphot - granddaddy of all Iscoramas), Super-8mm (Isorama36 and Cinegon, Isco42 and 54) or 35mm stills (Iscorama 32, later monoblocs) you detach the anamorphic lens and mount it on the Iscostat. You project everything in the perfect stretch factor and now the really cool thing happens: You watch your films or photos in glorious widescreen. The projection is what Scope is all about. That is the real fun. Widescreen/Cinemascope was not made for TV- or computer screens! I am still searching for a 1.33 anamorphic with better quality than Optex or LA7200 tried them for projection with beamer but they are to bad. For films I use Elmoscope II and Isco54. 

Furthermore I never understood why Isco didn't make more Iscoramas with 2x stretch (Andrew Reid has one super rare 2x). At least for the stills market. The quality with 35mm should be fine. For Super-8 1.5 is just perfect and 2x is too wide for that tiny image though.

Yup, just wondering what would be the perfect diopter set since it's a 82mm front thread.
What diopter set would you advise ?

Rudolf, you were totally right by the way : the anamorphic element is an Isco 42. It totally look the same, and the front thread is 82mm too.
They really are in good shape indeed. But the one with no serial number has a focus issue, and the one with a serial number has a very loose declicked iris ring.
The repair guy quoted 460 euros to repair both lenses (approx 300 for the focus issue and sharpness calibration). With a full servicing. Really impatient to use them afterwards.

Now, other issue, I've bought two Novoflex adapters to use them on E mount and EF mount, but they are not build in a way the lens is perfectly aligned. So the anamorphic element is not vertical on both adapter. I guess I'll have to buy high end adapter at Ciecio7.

You have a good point Rudolf, because those lenses were intended to be used on film camera, Leica R film camera. So how the photographer would be able to unsqueeze the image with a monobloc ? Especially when you consider the 1.42x squeezing factor, which is really specific.

The lenses will be ready at the end of January. So I guess you'll have more sample picture and videos in February.

On 15/12/2017 at 9:15 AM, medegh2 said:

Now, other issue, I've bought two Novoflex adapters to use them on E mount and EF mount, but they are not build in a way the lens is perfectly aligned. So the anamorphic element is not vertical on both adapter. I guess I'll have to buy high end adapter at Ciecio7.

That was the first thing I thought of haha.

I really don't understand the thing. I mounted them on a Leica R8... Perfectly aligned. But not on the adapters... What the point of making adapter with a slight shift ?