Sony RX1 Review

Andrew Reid

Oly peaking hack?

I don't have an Olympus but I know there is a trick you can do that allows an effect similar to peaking, you have to shoot in .jpg and RAW though and you use some specific filters that react like focus peaking.. You shoot in .jpg and RAW so that you can get a clean RAW file without the filters and you discard the .jpgs.

• 3 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Andrew (or someone else here), would you mind explaining to me a bit better the rationale around the following statement (extracted from the RX1 review):

"The 3D look on APS-C is just never quite as pervasive as it is with full frame and the RX1 with the Zeiss 35mm F2 gives you the characterful look of a Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 on Micro Four Thirds twice as often than the Nokton itself when used on a camera like the OM-D."

I'm far from being an expert in the subject - thus the question - but from my observations wouldn't a 35mm f/2.0 have very similar out-of-focus characteristics to a 25mm f/1.4? 

Which would mean that the Nokton, being a 25mm f/0.95 lens, would have even shallower depth of field than the RX1 (1 stop, to be exact).

Where am I wrong here?

Thanks in advance!

Oli