Fuji X-H1: new APSC video oriented camera

wolf33d

On 12/5/2017 at 8:05 AM, IronFilm said:

I'd rather have one Fujinon zoom than 4x Veydra

Also Sigma's 18-35 & 50-100 don't cover full frame. 

And I would rather have one Zeiss Compact Prime than the Fujinon. ? The point I was making is that the Fujinon is expensive and there are less onerous alternatives -  faster, of excellent optical quality, all-metal build and greater flexibilty. I never said I would prefer to own one rather than the other if money was no object. I think I also mentioned that rental is always an option. 

The remainder of Sigma’s cinema lineup all cover full frame. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/3/2017 at 5:09 PM, jonpais said:

The Fujinon lenses are plastic and unlike the similarly priced all metal Sigma Cinema zooms, they don't cover a full frame sensor; though it's true that the Sigma 50-100mm suffers from breathing and isn't parfocal afaik.

16 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The remainder of Sigma’s cinema lineup all cover full frame. 

Of Sigma's zooms... that is only the 24-35, so yeah it covers full frame, but it is only one

@IronFilm Amen to that! Still waiting for that Canon C100mkIII!

I am not sure of what prime vs zoom, you are talking about, but for run and gun video workhorses, a zoom (or 2) is a must.

That is why I found the Fujinon MK18-55 and 50-135mm T2.9 (7800$ for both), and the Canon 18-80 and 70-200 T4.4 (11000 for both, including the extra servo motor handle. The lenses already have the servo motor in build though) as exciting as most people here found a new camera body. Most people do not know, or have forgotten how much easier our life can be with a moving image optimized lens. The Canon 18-80 with the servo and image stabilization, coupled with the incredible Canon dual pixel AF is an unbeatable combo at the moment. Not a true cine lens per se, but it is coming closer. Just the C200 is a bit out of place right now, both financially and (lack of-) feature wise. A C100mkIII with touch focus and the 18-80, match made in Heaven!

In the last documentary I did focus pulling, we had a bag full of Zeiss lenses and an Arri Alura 18-80 T2.6 https://www.ducloslenses.com/products/arri-18-80mm-t2-6-alura Can you guess which one (the bag or the zoom!) we used 9/10? Only for very shallow depth, wider, or more tele we used the primes, and the Alura wide open was already very sharp, and had all the depth of field and more. After a day testing and siting down with the director and producers we couldn't really fault the zoom at any way. Oh, and guess who is making them (Fujinon!). By the way, those S35 lenses are native ones, so not cropped lenses, no different angles therefor. People are forgetting that S35 is a real format. The 5D revolution created a lot of confusion, especially for younger people.

I do not thing there is a debate here, different tools for different jobs. This Fuji sounds quite underwhelming though, Fuji offers features drop by drop, and if the new Panasonic is true, I do not see them stay in the industry for long. Except a stop and a half better low light performance, the current Fuji's are far behind Samsung, 3 years later, and a lot of $$ more. And NX has DIS+OIS, while the 16-50 Fuji has not OIS, and certainly do not have DIS! Just saying. You lucky I do not live in East Asia/Oceania!

25 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@IronFilm Amen to that! Still waiting for that Canon C100mkIII!

Problem is whenever it finally finally comes out, then it will likely be priced similar to a Panasonic EVA1 / Sony FS5.

But with some weird crippling... perhaps the bloated 4K codec of the 5Dmk4? Or some other weird drawbacks. 

25 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I am not sure of what prime vs zoom, you are talking about, but for run and gun video workhorses, a zoom (or 2) is a must.

Exactly. Which is why I'd love to have a Fujinon MK18-55mm T2.9 & MK50-135mm T2.9 (and for the occasional high speed use, my cheap Rokinon Cine DS lenses could be used)

But even with their "cheap" prices it would still sadly be only dreaming for me to have them one day. (btw, they work on not just E mount, but FZ mount too! Could be used with my Sony PMW-F3)

However if I was to refocus on camera work, instead of the sound department, then I'd give serious thought to buying it. 

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

So they added F-LOG and IBIS to an X-T2 basically (if the rumours are to be believed)

I think I'm looking forward to the GH5S a lot more.

Also rumours Canon will get in the game with a GH5 competitor... XC10 sales better than expected, EF mount version, blah blah blah.

GH4 and Samsung NX1 were 2014/15 cameras, so Canon and Fuji have a lot of catching up to do.

Well, Canon just launched 3 new video cameras with... HD only :fearful: Great news in year 2018... HD for 1,900$:

https://www.canonwatch.com/canon-announce-three-new-full-hd-camcorders-20x-optical-zoom-canon-x11-x15-vixia-g21/

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2017 at 7:56 AM, jonpais said:

Have you ever actually used a Fuji? Because the ergos are quite poor compared to Panasonic. The hand grip is too small, it’s got no swiveling touch screen, the menus can be confusing, it has a nonfunctioning app, the control buttons can be fiddly... The GH5 feels much better to the hands of this video guy than the X-T2. 

Dont agree with this at all. Find the ergonomics of the Fuji excellent. Not as good as a NX1, but certainly better than any Nikon, Sony or Panasonic I have used.  Much prefer the ergonomics of the X-T2 to G85 or GH3 or GH4 ... never used a GH5 though. BTW ... I despise swivelling screen so just a matter of taste I guess. Thank god Fuji do not do a swivelling screen :) 

Really looking forward to this camera. IBIS, top plate LCD and internal F-Log. All the things I thought were missing from the X-T2 will be delivered :) Should be a nice hybrid cam.

2 hours ago, Dean said:

Dont agree with this at all. Find the ergonomics of the Fuji excellent. Not as good as a NX1, but certainly better than any Nikon, Sony or Panasonic I have used.  Much prefer the ergonomics of the X-T2 to G85 or GH3 or GH4 ... never used a GH5 though. BTW ... I despise swivelling screen so just a matter of taste I guess. Thank god Fuji do not do a swivelling screen :) 

Really looking forward to this camera. IBIS, top plate LCD and internal F-Log. All the things I thought were missing from the X-T2 will be delivered :) Should be a nice hybrid cam.

You don't agree with me, everyone's entitled to their opinion - but you don't give any reasons, aside from the fact that you hate the articulating screen, which most filmmakers seem to find extremely useful. Can you provide any other support for your statement? How about battery life? Touch screen? IBIS? Menus? 4K using the remote app? Oversized handgrip? ETC mode? Custom white balance settings or zebras in movie mode? Internal log profile? HDR? 10-bit? Full HDMI? ALL-Intra? Anamorphic mode? The G85 and GH5 kill the X-T2 for video.

@Mattias Burling I don't think I forgot to add anything. Oh, wait, I did! The anamorphic thread alone has over 16,000 posts and over 51,000 views for advice on eBay listings alone. The threads speculating on the soon-to-be released Panasonic GHs have attracted nearly 40,000 views. The Panasonic GH5 thread is approaching 1/3 million views. Apparently, interest in Panasonic is greater than in Fuji for video. So, I think it's safe to say that Panasonic makes more videocentric cameras than Fuji.

25 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I don't think I forgot to add anything. These are facts, not opinions.

Yes, you (conveniently) forgot all the downsides of the GH5! Terrible auto-focus, poor low-light, small M4/3 sensor, build quality.. all of which XT2 is superior.

Then you have subjective things like the color science, pic profiles (film simulations), ergonomics, design & lens selection which in my opinion Fuji are also superior at.

Other things like handgrip or battery life are easily addressed with the XT2's booster grip.

Also, the latest XT2 firmware adds highlight exposure aid and rumors are Flog could arrive internally.

The upcoming H1 will address IBIS, touch screen etc..

Finally, there isn't one all absolute type of shooters. Horses for courses, and not everyone needs 10-bit or anamorphic. 

So in view of all this, it does seem your claim is more opinion than facts..! ;)

29 minutes ago, Django said:

Yes, you (conveniently) forgot all the downsides of the GH5! Terrible auto-focus, poor low-light, small M4/3 sensor, build quality.. all of which XT2 is superior.

Then you have subjective things like the color science, pic profiles (film simulations), ergonomics & lens selection which in my opinion Fuji are also superior at.

Other things like handgrip or battery life are easily addressed with the XT2's booster grip.

Also, the latest XT2 firmware adds highlight exposure aid and rumors are Flog could arrive internally.

The upcoming H1 will address IBIS, touch screen etc..

Finally, there isn't one all absolute type of shooters. Courses for horses, and not everyone needs 10-bit or anamorphic. 

So in view of all this, it does seem your claim is more opinion than facts..! ;)

If you have another look, I edited my post. But it still holds. In spite of what you consider to be the shortcomings of the incredible GH5, it is miles ahead of the X-T2 for video. And most filmmakers feel the same way. Panasonic is no less reliable than Fuji by the way. Blinking lights are no substitute for zebras. And Panasonic's G85 and GH5 need no handgrip to improve handling. And if you re-read my post, you'll see that it is facts - the features, the number of people who prefer Panasonic, it's all there Not everyone needs anamorphic? Not everyone needs IBIS. Not everyone needs tilting screens or 4K apps. Not everyone needs a touch screen. Hardly reasons to rejoice. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

If you have another look, I edited my post. But it still holds. In spite of what you consider to be the shortcomings of the incredible GH5, it is miles ahead of the X-T2 for video. And most filmmakers feel the same way.

Again, your opinion. Personally, i don't really care what "most" people think. Everybody calls themselves a "filmmaker" today so that doesn't really say much of anything.

The reality is that YouTubers have different needs than other categories in the business. Like i have zero need for a flip screen.

For me personally, the GH series holds no interest to me as long as they remain M4/3. The FoV doesn't work with my aesthetic and i don't like dealing with speed boosters / adapted lenses.

EVA1 is the first Panasonic video camera that holds my interest in a while (Varicam LT being outside my price range).

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Django It's not only YouTubers who choose to shoot with the GH5. For what it's worth, Francis Ford Coppola and majority chose the lowly GH2 over the Sony F65, Red Epic, Canon C300 and Arri Alexa in the Zacuto Revenge Shootout 2012 - a measly micro four thirds sensor camera! 

For someone who has watched that test series several times, this statement is exaggerated and out of context at best.

And yes, you did forget to add the "imo" to prevent your statement from becoming a fanboy rant. Because that's what it is now.

You tried to push a personal preference and opinion as a fact. Thats never a good idea imo.