Fuji X-H1: new APSC video oriented camera

wolf33d

Fuji X-H1 is coming. It will have 4K for sure, maybe 60p. F-LOG and IBIS are confirmed. Sounds good to me. 
Fuji color is great so is Fuji ergonomics and lenses. 

If the Fuji X-H1 has 4K60P, IBIS, F-LOG and a good AF, it will be a great competitor to GH5s and A7SIII. Maybe the sweet middle between the 2 later. 
Basically a A6500 but better (ergonomics, colors, lenses...). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Question @wolf33d - first, what exactly is the point of this post? It’s a liitle lost on me. But I didn’t get much sleep, so... You are talking about two unknown quantities and then draw some vague conclusion. 

If we don’t even know what the specs of either the Fuji or the Panasonic are, this topic has little of substance. 

Aside from that, I find even your premise is quite flawed. For example, about the Fuji, you say, ‘if it has F-LOG, 4K and good AF...’, but since the X-T2 already has those, this doesn’t really make sense. The only two features you mention that the X-T2 doesn’t already have are IBIS and 60p. And if that’s all it had, for sure I wouldn’t be switching over to Fuji as my main video camera.

Have you ever actually used a Fuji? Because the ergos are quite poor compared to Panasonic. The hand grip is too small, it’s got no swiveling touch screen, the menus can be confusing, it has a nonfunctioning app, the control buttons can be fiddly... The GH5 feels much better to the hands of this video guy than the X-T2. 

And your unusual conclusion that it would be some sort of ‘improved’ a6500?

What this post really seems to show is that you are and always have been someone who waits around for the perfect camera that will never be, while others are already shooting beautiful videos with Sony, Canon, Fuji, Panasonic, and Olympus....

I still remember his post about A7SIII coming in APRIL 2017 and tell everyone wait and see

Well a7sIII still no where to be found or heard and its near 2018!

I guess the price for this one will be around $2000~$2500? Another good way to up sale stuff.. that the common strategy adapted by most manufacturers nowaday, make their product more and more "premium"

I think most here would balk at purchasing $4,000 cinema lenses, but rental's always an option. While it's comparing apples to oranges, I know, these make the Veydra Mini Primes look like an even bigger bargain than they already are at $1,000 each, and X-mount is available as well. The Fujinon lenses are plastic and unlike the similarly priced all metal Sigma Cinema zooms, they don't cover a full frame sensor; though it's true that the Sigma 50-100mm suffers from breathing and isn't parfocal afaik.

I think it makes sense for Fuji to enter the video market. I do like fuji colors and the flog looks closer to clog than either slog or vlog.

That being said, I agree with @jonpais that the ergonomics of their current cameras are quite poor for video purposes. So a larger X-H1 with a better grip would make sense. 

They will also have to do something about that awful rolling shutter ... 

According to Fujirumor's trusted source, the new camera will have a better grip compared to the xt2 and other ergonomic improvements. And there will be internal flog. 

The advantages over Panasonic will be the colour science, native aps-c sized sensor and more reasonably priced glass (eg 35mm 1.4, 23mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2 are all cheaper and more compact than m43 equivalents whilst having more character (i.e. imperfections)). As well as phase detection AF. 

Im not planning to get this camera since its out my price range ($2k) and im not a working video guy but if it was id buy it. 

1 hour ago, anonim said:

Sorry... but why it has to have an undisputable weight of the rule of the nature?

Well it is just an opinion to be fair. The other stuff I wrote were facts. I have been using Panasonics for years though and found during my short time with Fuji's that Fuji clearly know what they're doing when it comes to that. 

16 hours ago, jonpais said:

Have you ever actually used a Fuji? Because the ergos are quite poor compared to Panasonic. The hand grip is too small, it’s got no swiveling touch screen, the menus can be confusing, it has a nonfunctioning app, the control buttons can be fiddly... The GH5 feels much better to the hands of this video guy than the X-T2. 

I'll have to disagree, I have an X-T1 that I mainly use for stills and the occasional video. It is just the best camera in terms of ergonomics I have ever come across. Everything is accessible, and I never have to open the menu. Just love it. I used an A7S2 and GH4 recently, and I felt like every setting needed to go into a submenu of another not-so-obvious menu.
I guess it's just a matter of taste, but I really love the Fuji handling and general use :) 

57 minutes ago, Justin Bacle said:

I'll have to disagree, I have an X-T1 that I mainly use for stills and the occasional video. It is just the best camera in terms of ergonomics I have ever come across. Everything is accessible, and I never have to open the menu. Just love it. I used an A7S2 and GH4 recently, and I felt like every setting needed to go into a submenu of another not-so-obvious menu.
I guess it's just a matter of taste, but I really love the Fuji handling and general use :) 

Agreed. And it gets even better with the XT2. On the stills side, I'd say ergonomics easily beat mirrorless competition & even DSLRs. Having dedicated dials for ISO & shutter speed is just great while your eye is on the EVF, add aperture lens control, AF joystick and it's close to perfect. Photography feels so complete and like it should be and not like playing mortal kombat with button combos, nameless wheels, menu diving etc..

On the video side, it's a little bit more work in progress, no touch screen but with the latest firmware the AF is getting really solid. Generally the IQ is quite excellent, color science, best AWB.. a clean sharp 4K image. the film simulations, highlight/shadow settings.. you can get some really great imagery SOOC unlike Sony's.

So now a XH1 with IBIS & internal FLOG seems nice but I would need a bit more than that to upgrade.

I also don't understand why the XT2 can't get internal FLOG via firmware??

Anyways here is my top list of things i'd like to see addressed aside internal FLOG & IBIS:

#1 A no crop APS-C/Super35 4K mode. There is currently a 1.7x crop in XT2 4K.

#2 high frame rate (give us at least 120fps 1080p)

#3 face/eye detection AF in 4K (currently only works in 1080p)

#4 independent stills/video settings (i want my shutter speed to default at 1/50 in video mode)

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah it is pretty much fact that Fuji has a better color science.

I missed that argument... but now I'm convinced :)

Seriously, I've found two emulations of X-t2 very pleasant, but comparing to 10bit HLG form GH5 they are, so to say, "thinner" - at the same way that base GH5 image is thinner than Canon C100 II and ML Raw.

About ergonomy, base of only one day of my using Fuji X-t2 - I think that someone have to REALLY love Fuji to appreciate it over, say, GH5: with GH5 all of necessary settings and operation I have in 5 joystick FNs commands - which is at the moment, from my point of view, simply unbeatable. Grip of GH5 leave something to be desired, but X-t2 is, in the comparison, near non-existent.

• Administrators

I may be biased, but I think Fuji should get me to try out the upcoming X-H1 before it's released. I asked to try the 4K X-Pro 2 firmware and they told me it isn't something they 'do' ahead of release... I am sure they do in fact have beta testers of their hardware, outside of the lab. I would love to give them my feedback.

It seems Fuji are relying on Sony's hardware, with their own spin on ergonomics and colour. This is a good thing... Even if the H1 will be basically the innards of an A6500 in a Fuji body, it will be nicer to use than the Sony.

To really compete with Panasonic though, they need to go far beyond what Sony are doing.

No 8bit-only codec for starters.

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I may be biased, but I think Fuji should get me to try out the upcoming X-H1 before it's released. I asked to try the 4K X-Pro 2 firmware and they told me it isn't something they 'do' ahead of release... I am sure they do in fact have beta testers of their hardware, outside of the lab. I would love to give them my feedback.

It seems Fuji are relying on Sony's hardware, with their own spin on ergonomics and colour. This is a good thing... Even if the H1 will be basically the innards of an A6500 in a Fuji body, it will be nicer to use than the Sony.

To really compete with Panasonic though, they need to go far beyond what Sony are doing.

No 8bit-only codec for starters.

I would love to see the review from your before making a purchasing decision. But if I were at Fuji I would never risk giving you the camera.  
I think your reviews are very good and direct for consumers, but if I was a marketing person at one of these camera companies, the risk/reward ratio would not be worthwhile to my product or even to my job. 
You have to remember, as a marketer I need to market the product but I also have to think about my job. In an industry that mistakes are much more evident than any bump in sales that could or not be attributed to a early review by you. 
Just my $.02, but I hope they give you early access. 

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Jonas tests preproduction Fujifilm cameras his X-Pro2 review came out Jan 15th about six weeks before they went on sale.

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2016/01/15/the-fujifilm-x-pro2-review/