EOSHD 3.0 Log for a6500 and ND filters

mirekti

I was thinking of buying the log package, but was wondering if it covers usage of ND filters. 
For example, I will be using Tiffen Variable ND filter and one of the things ND filters do is adding some color shift. 
Does PDF document covers white balance setting in respect to the ND filter and/or different color setting for log when filter is in place?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Since the color shift in ND filters vary depending upon brand, I doubt it goes into consideration. If I were you, I would get ND filters with the most neutral color cast. A good neutral color cast ND filter is B+W on the more expensive end and Bower if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative. 

On 12/1/2017 at 10:15 AM, mercer said:

Since the color shift in ND filters vary depending upon brand, I doubt it goes into consideration. If I were you, I would get ND filters with the most neutral color cast. A good neutral color cast ND filter is B+W on the more expensive end and Bower if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative. 

I like cheap!!! So the Bower is pretty ok for the dollars??? I see one on Adorama that says they should be able to reduce the light by 8 stops max, but is there a certain level that you wouldn't go past due to IQ of the filter? I think I can get away with five or six stops. Are Bower's pretty neutral in color cast up to six stops? (Bower ND filters seem to be better rated on Adorama than they are on Amazon.)

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I like cheap!!! So the Bower is pretty ok for the dollars??? I see one on Adorama that says they should be able to reduce the light by 8 stops max, but is there a certain level that you wouldn't go past due to IQ of the filter? I think I can get away with five or six stops. Are Bower's pretty neutral in color cast up to six stops? (Bower ND filters seem to be better rated on Adorama than they are on Amazon.)

There’s a video floating around, I think Driftwood may have done it, but he tested a bunch of variable NDs and although it doesn’t compare quality wise to a Heliopan or Tiffen, it scored very high for neutral color and it is one of the few that has hard stops at each end so you don’t get the dreaded X pattern popping up in you footage.

They say you may take a sharpness hit but it hasn’t bothered me yet. I shot this with the 5D3 and ML Raw with the 24-70mm f/4 lens wide open and the Bower ND and it seems sharp enough to me...

FEE3CB25-D62A-456F-8BD5-9380FA4C43EC.jpeg

And here’s one from the Nikkor 35mm f/2 ai-s lens, shot wide open with Bower variable ND...

EE1E2D3C-F376-4A1A-96D3-B7BEBEE9C7FE.jpeg

They’re cheap enough, so if you scratch it or drop it, like I’ve done, just buy a new one. I’m shooting my film down the shore, so with the salt air and mist, I am constantly cleaning my filter, inevitably it gets cleaning marks.

Anyway for the price they’re worth a try and Adorama has a good return policy if you don’t like it.

53 minutes ago, mercer said:

There’s a video floating around, I think Driftwood may have done it, but he tested a bunch of variable NDs and although it doesn’t compare quality wise to a Heliopan or Tiffen, it scored very high for neutral color and it is one of the few that has hard stops at each end so you don’t get the dreaded X pattern popping up in you footage.

They say you may take a sharpness hit but it hasn’t bothered me yet. I shot this with the 5D3 and ML Raw with the 24-70mm f/4 lens wide open and the Bower ND and it seems sharp enough to me...

Thank you.

• Administrators

I use a Heliopan and the colour shift is nothing worth worrying about. It's barely a factor in day to day shooting.

Pro Color makes a big difference though.

If Pro Color is 100% better than Sony's default colour, then an ND makes 1-5% difference in colour alteration... So focus on the big stuff.