GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Does your LUT convert V Log to Log C or V Log to Log C converted to rec709 with the default Arri LUT?

I have some Arri Log C Luts I want to use on Panasonic S1 footage.

How different are there results from LutCalc:

http://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCalc/

He has a direct to 709 conversion as well as Log-C. Ive personally used lut Calc and GHalex. They definitely produce different results. He also has a specific version for Premiere as well as under and overexposure LUTs. I highly recommend.

16 hours ago, hypp said:

@Sage Have you thought about making Emotive Color for the new iPhones given that they record in 10-bit now? I understand that the footage is limited by other factors but I think some sort of Emotive Color even if it would be limited, would be really welcomed by iPhone users that use it for content creation. 

My sister may be getting one, so I'll give it a look. The ideal would be an app to record directly to LogC sans sharpening/processing etc. I've only dabbled in Xcode though. I've also got some neat experiments I am going to delve into this winter. 

5 hours ago, Sage said:

My sister may be getting one, so I'll give it a look. The ideal would be an app to record directly to LogC sans sharpening/processing etc. I've only dabbled in Xcode though. I've also got some neat experiments I am going to delve into this winter. 

Filmic pro has a log format and Moment has something similar but not sure if that's a true log format or if it's just a flat profile. Hopefully it comes to fruition, I will buy it immediately! 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Simon Young said:

Would be interesting to know how Emotive Color stacks up against the new Cinematch plugin from the guys behind Filmconvert. From what I've seen it looks pretty promising...

I just tested it on some Sony A6300 S-Log2/S-Gamut3.cine and Fuji X-T3 F-Log/F-Gamut clips and if you're after a precise conversion, the results are far from great. It can still be a timesaver though.

7 hours ago, Simon Young said:

Would be interesting to know how Emotive Color stacks up against the new Cinematch plugin from the guys behind Filmconvert. From what I've seen it looks pretty promising...

Yeah definitely didn't seem the most accurate. Take into account Sage's lut gives you a tungsten, daylight, and 4200k lut options, as well as over, under, and black balance luts. You get none of that precision with cinematch.

5 hours ago, seku said:

@Sage: i'm a happy user of your conversion for the GH5 and A7s3. I remember you talking about the releasing the same color science you used in A7s3 for the GH5 too, is it out yet?

thanks 🙂

Not yet - I've been on an experimental binge for the last month (not pertaining to the Alex conversions), and I've had a major breakthrough there. But that update will be releasing for sure!

13 hours ago, Sage said:

I gave it a spin a few weeks ago; sometimes it works decently, and sometimes less so. Here's a comparison of GH5 and Arri, as well as their gradient charts:

Yeah, it's pretty far from being accurate. I wonder how they do their conversions on the fly, and what precision they use. When I build my camera matching LUTs it takes 1-2 minutes with all cores used to the maximum to build a size 65 LUT, they do it in a second or so.

On 12/8/2020 at 3:46 AM, Attila Bakos said:

Yeah, it's pretty far from being accurate. I wonder how they do their conversions on the fly, and what precision they use. When I build my camera matching LUTs it takes 1-2 minutes with all cores used to the maximum to build a size 65 LUT, they do it in a second or so.

It must be pre-baked data sets of some sort ('assemble on site'). What Cpu are you rockin'?

On 12/8/2020 at 4:02 AM, Simon Young said:

@Sage Seems like I will be buying your LUT:s after all 🙂 With regards to Fuji, is there a pre to convert eterna footage like the one you've made for cine d?

Yes, with default settings, except set to DR400 (for photos), FLog is preferable for widest gamut