GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

10 hours ago, mirekti said:

Just bought the package for S series.

It kind of pulls towards green cast a bit, and if I change tint towards magenta the lips become a tad pink. Any alternative method to try to fix that?

That's what I'm worried about as well, was this shot in daylight? and was it using the daylight lut?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@austinchimp The way GHa deviates on the S1 feels oddly earthy and 'filmy'. S1a restores that Arri vibrant technicolor quality (1:1 to the other measured LogCs). With each new camera, I add side by sides to the Match gallery. I had the S1 on loan, but I'm considering the S1H, because its quite a good camera (Intra, 180 deg, Olpf are vital in for me)

This is a really cool video sent to me by Tom C, of GHa Density on the S5 that I was impressed with:

@mirekti Can you send me an email with dpx(s) of the raw? It should match GHa-S on the GH5S (assuming same optics/settings and neutral WB/reference light source)

@HockeyFan12 It makes sense now why they retired that one.. I suppose they calculated a matrix with a single triad and put it out there (film is quite non linear to boot)

2 hours ago, Sage said:

@HockeyFan12 It makes sense now why they retired that one.. I suppose they calculated a matrix with a single triad and put it out there (film is quite non linear to boot)

I asked around because it seemed to be a poor man's cinny LUT (which perhaps film convert nitrate already is and with more options) and no one liked it at all.

But I think there is more to it than that, you can read the white paper here where Arri discusses how it is meant to emulate a color negative image instead of a typical digital or reversal image:

https://www.samys.com/images/pdf/ALEXA-Color-Processing-White-Paper.pdf

So there might be more to it, but it's apparently pretty useless anyway.

Did you notice aliasing with the S1?

@Emanuel I had heard that it was to use the GH5S sensor. If so, there is a reasonable chance that the color will be the same. If not, then it could be measured. I didn't know about the Osmo, but it is something that could be explored. There were some cool experiments I wanted to mess around with, so a deep dive may be warranted there next.

@HockeyFan12 Very cool, I haven't read that one yet. I did notice S1 moire on saturated fabrics, and in that moment felt the value of the S1H. Here are the S1 fabrics compared to the Alexa:

S1

1395671603_S1AlexDaylight.thumb.jpg.9212cff40b68c61cba40636f1763d973.jpg

Alexa

1698227945_AlexaEC709.thumb.jpg.3a0b46479c989d9063e3398519bf09ce.jpg

30 minutes ago, Sage said:

@Emanuel I had heard that it was to use the GH5S sensor. If so, there is a reasonable chance that the color will be the same. If not, then it could be measured. I didn't know about the Osmo, but it is something that could be explored. There were some cool experiments I wanted to mess around with, so a deep dive may be warranted there next.

Thank you, I'm eager to receive your feedback on topic then : )

Hope to be able to see it there amongst the camera options available:

https://emotivecolor.com/buy

4 hours ago, Sage said:

@HockeyFan12 Very cool, I haven't read that one yet. I did notice S1 moire on saturated fabrics, and in that moment felt the value of the S1H. Here are the S1 fabrics compared to the Alexa:

S1

1395671603_S1AlexDaylight.thumb.jpg.9212cff40b68c61cba40636f1763d973.jpg

Alexa

1698227945_AlexaEC709.thumb.jpg.3a0b46479c989d9063e3398519bf09ce.jpg

@SageWould you mind test grading 5 dpx in different lighting situations with the different color temperature luts for me? I found some footage online and on facebook. And would just like to see how the tungsten and 4200k variant holds up in difficult situations before buying the camera and lut package.

@jack jin Feel free to send an email with the dpxs

@Emanuel I was concerned with the news of the R5 overheating; I haven't followed the latest, but if viable (via firmware update perhaps) it could be done

@Victor With the new cameras, the side by sides with the Arri are added to the back of the Match Gallery; the other camera examples (especially using v4.2/3) are a very good indication of how it will work on the new (universal space)

@austinchimp Indeed, it was quite impressive. I believe he mostly used GHa Tungsten Soft (V3 era). Each new camera is a separate thing (that's where the work comes in), though updates are at no cost. What's your email?

Regarding Soft: its going to be returning in an update soon - in new form.

51 minutes ago, Sage said:

@Emanuel I was concerned with the news of the R5 overheating; I haven't followed the latest, but if viable (via firmware update perhaps) it could be done

https://www.eoshd.com/news/magic-lantern-users-create-practical-canon-eos-r5-overheating-timer-workaround/

Hope this helps, please let us know your thoughts on topic : )

On 10/23/2020 at 4:25 PM, Sage said:

@austinchimp The way GHa deviates on the S1 feels oddly earthy and 'filmy'. S1a restores that Arri vibrant technicolor quality (1:1 to the other measured LogCs). With each new camera, I add side by sides to the Match gallery. I had the S1 on loan, but I'm considering the S1H, because its quite a good camera (Intra, 180 deg, Olpf are vital in for me)

I purchased the S1 set, and I see what you mean about the colour deviation between the GHa and S1a Luts. I was quite happy with GHa on my S1 footage, but the S1 High Scale Lut looks more vibrant and cleaner to me compared to the GHa Linear conversion. Better colour separation and fidelity. 

Thanks for your hard work, this is a really valuable tool and a pleasure to use!

Footage is 1080p 10 bit from the S1, basic corrections with the luts applied on top, ungraded. Top is S1a, bottom is GHa.

EC S1.png

EC GH5.png