GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

On 3/3/2020 at 1:30 PM, saame said:

@Sage On the V4 documentation in your website, under Post-workflow, it says that "1. If you recorded to Cine-D (Sat -5), HLG, or VLog to ProRes/DnxHD on an external recorder, apply the appropriate [PRE] file to the first node to convert to normative VLog in advance of the color conversion."

Currently I'm shooting 10bit 4:2:2 HD 200Mbps ALL-I in camera, but converting it to 10bit 422 DNxHD (with the great "V6" tool by Wayne Norton) before bringing them into Resolve, as Resolve doesn't recognize the straight-out-of-camera GH5 10bit files... Do I still need to apply the [PRE] file in my workflow as my files are now in DNxHD codec inside Resolve? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm still trying to truly understand how the different codecs work and where data / video levels come in.

Also, when can we expect the V4 update in mail? :) Or were they sent already and my mailbox blocked it?

I believe that the PRE will be needed - unless the tool compensates levels to match normative 'video' flagging for DNx. The heart of the problem is that VLog is flagged at 'full' levels, but ProRes/DNx are at 'video' levels. When wrapped in these codecs, the flagging of native VLog is lost. One can confirm levels using the LogC black level image; if black level (hand over lens) with LogC applied lines up with that image, then levels are correct.

They are going out now, you found it early :) I am hoping that everyone will receive the email, but it is scheduled to go out in trickle fashion to try and avoid the spam filter. It seems to be working (though the first emails that went out may have been blocked). In any case, you can send me an email to get it right away.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
39 minutes ago, Sage said:

They are going out now, you found it early :) I am hoping that everyone will receive the email, but it is scheduled to go out in trickle fashion to try and avoid the spam filter

Might want to invest in a email delivery service and make your life easier (unless you enjoy it!).

2 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Might want to invest in a email delivery service and make your life easier (unless you enjoy it!).

Yea, that's the truth. Gmail is geared for singular emails (their spam filters are so good)

With the G9 getting V-LOG L and HLG, how good would the GH5 LUT work on the G9? The Sensor is the same, so I recon the colors and files aren't too different. Probably less different than GH5s. Anyone ever tested it? I'm mostly using HLG so because I haven't bought the V-LOG L upgrade but if the conversion is good and the G9 works well, I could probably even save on that front by getting the LUT.

16 minutes ago, GabrielFF said:

Hi, Sage!

It’s great to hear the V4 is out.

I use the GH5 version adapted to my X-T3, but I`m really looking forward to a native version for F-Log.

Do you have any idea when it will come out?

Cheers

Care to share your process? It sounds interesting!

Do you use Resolve's  Color Space Transform to convert F-Log to V-Log?

Any video samples?

Apologies for the slowness, they're going out at snail speed. If you haven't received it yet, and want to get it right away, just send me an email (most should have it by now). I'm going to resend some of the first, because I believe they went to spam.

On 3/8/2020 at 11:23 AM, GabrielFF said:

Do you have any idea when it will come out?

Before the summer :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well... a rental borrow me a Panasonic S1 for testing... them the quarantine came to my country.

So, i was so bored that i made a short film by my self, almost alone.

Obliviously for the grading i used the GHAlex Luts.

B&W was made with LogC to film print

Color was made directly with the "Main lut" then graded a little.

The point of this is just to entertain and incentive others to make and create things now on this times. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello (and sorry for my english). I am waiting to see some examples of the new GH5s version of the Ghalex lut, but in the meantime I tried to use the official Arri Log to Rec709 Lut included in Davinci and I have found that it works really good as a starting point. I haven´t done any color space conversion, just applied the lut, and I like the colors much more than with the Vlog to rec709 from Panasonic (that I think Panasonic should  have developed specifically for each camera model colour science). Then a few tweaks in exposure, wb and contrast, and finally another lut (a 709 Kodak Vision from Impulz) and grain to get this result with direct sunlight mostly, the worst situation for the gh5s highlights rollof capabilities. I´m very happy with this first test.

8 hours ago, RCV said:

Like the frames. Was this using the latest version of the Gha? If so, did you apply the pre exposures as well?

I was using the last version, yes. But I was shooting on a Fujifilm X-T3 in F-Log. I then applied Fuji's Flog to BT 709 LUT and Resolve's Color Space Transform to take the Gamma Space from FLog to VLog, then I applied GHAlex.

37 minutes ago, GabrielFF said:

I was using the last version, yes. But I was shooting on a Fujifilm X-T3 in F-Log. I then applied Fuji's Flog to BT 709 LUT and Resolve's Color Space Transform to take the Gamma Space from FLog to VLog, then I applied GHAlex.

They look good guys -

The BT 709 step shouldn't be needed in theory - one can conform FLog directly to VLog, and then apply the conversion, followed by ABL/luma to add contrast. The red, cyan, and yellow look really nice together

*By the way, how do you like V4 (and the new Pres/Posts) so far?

8 hours ago, alvaromedina said:

Hello (and sorry for my english). I am waiting to see some examples of the new GH5s version of the Ghalex lut, but in the meantime I tried to use the official Arri Log to Rec709 Lut included in Davinci and I have found that it works really good as a starting point. I haven´t done any color space conversion, just applied the lut, and I like the colors much more than with the Vlog to rec709 from Panasonic (that I think Panasonic should  have developed specifically for each camera model colour science). Then a few tweaks in exposure, wb and contrast, and finally another lut (a 709 Kodak Vision from Impulz) and grain to get this result with direct sunlight mostly, the worst situation for the gh5s highlights rollof capabilities. I´m very happy with this first test.

Man! This looks really good