GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

For those using GHa on the GH5, how hard is it to shoot run and gun footage with this capture flow?

For example, not always possible to white balance with a grey card. Using zebras primarily to judge exposure. Natural light etc...

Ive been using Paul Leemings LUT with HLG and it’s pretty good but the highlight roll off of GHA is attractive.

My workflow is to capture log or HLG use a transformation LUT to get to a Rec.709 and then I grade from there with a finishing LUT. I don’t like to fuss so much with crazy grades. I just want a flexible capture with great highlight roll off that gives me a great base. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

For those using GHa on the GH5, how hard is it to shoot run and gun footage with this capture flow?

For example, not always possible to white balance with a grey card. Using zebras primarily to judge exposure. Natural light etc...

Ive been using Paul Leemings LUT with HLG and it’s pretty good but the highlight roll off of GHA is attractive.

My workflow is to capture log or HLG use a transformation LUT to get to a Rec.709 and then I grade from there with a finishing LUT. I don’t like to fuss so much with crazy grades. I just want a flexible capture with great highlight roll off that gives me a great base. 

Here's something I shot run n gun style and I just set the whitebalance to daylight for the whole day. Bear in mind this video was made on the G80 in CineD and then I used CinedD -> vlog pre lut and GHa Daylight Linear for grade

6 minutes ago, crevice said:

@Sage I know you have a lot of cameras on your list, from pocket 6k, to Panasonic s1/s1h but is there a chance you would ever make one for an Ursa Mini Pro? I would imagine since the image on the UMP is so good out the box, that your LUT would make it look real close to an Alexa.

Slight OT from your question but the "Buttery LUT" has a LUT that brings the original Pocket footage into the Gen4 color space so he can use P4K LUTS with it. Perhaps his Gen4 LUT would work well with Sage's Alexa LUT for your Micro.

3 hours ago, crevice said:

@Sage I know you have a lot of cameras on your list, from pocket 6k, to Panasonic s1/s1h but is there a chance you would ever make one for an Ursa Mini Pro? I would imagine since the image on the UMP is so good out the box, that your LUT would make it look real close to an Alexa.

I have an USRA Mini Pro that I would love to have Sage's GEN 4 Alexa LUT for. Instant buy. Thanks!

On 11/25/2019 at 10:04 PM, Sage said:

It started in the spring; that included the development of Gen.4 and a much more complicated server backend. Now that the hardest part is worked through, I believe I can work a lot faster. There were some oppressively complicated things I had to tackle this year.

Do you reckon the S1/S1H version will be early next year as well?

55 minutes ago, RCV said:

this is from the genius Sage.

Brilliant work. cant wait to use this on the p4k shoots I have lined up.

Sage has to do a pipeline tutorial because for some reason, folks arent following the pdf

Ah, nice find. I was going to post that in the P4K thread - though I will be posting the tutorial video in the P4K thread ;)

Its true; almost everyone doesn't read the Pdf in the first week, and then maybe a few later on. So I've come to the conclusion that a video and quick guide are very much needed

8 hours ago, RCV said:

Can someone link the p4k thread.  Perhaps,  there's more footage. 

Great tutorial btw, i have it bookmarked

Righto, this is the one:

I intend to revise the tutorial to be more concise, yet more informative and clear.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 6:33 AM, Sage said:

The time it takes to support the S and update the 5 will be a *very strong indicator of how efficiently I am able to support new cameras. If I can do it in weeks, that will be a very positive sign for the S1/H, Ursa, XT3

As S1 and S1H have different sensor, do you expect each would need its own set of LUTs? Also, S1H has OLPF built in.

On 12/18/2019 at 11:31 AM, mirekti said:

As S1 and S1H have different sensor, do you expect each would need its own set of LUTs? Also, S1H has OLPF built in.

Its almost certain to be the case. Efficiency is vital. I have been deep in the code bunker this week, writing a special segment for the EC engine. This will greatly accelerate supporting new cameras, as it minimizes the amount of intervention necessary to conform data (with superior results). As of today, I have a new luma conform tool that is completely free of either hue or saturation distortion, and I am thrilled with it right now (not even Resolve's luma tools work this way). Now, I have to finish the second piece of the puzzle, and (accelerated) camera support will commence.

On 12/20/2019 at 6:54 PM, Sage said:

Its almost certain to be the case. Efficiency is vital. I have been deep in the code bunker this week, writing a special segment for the EC engine. This will greatly accelerate supporting new cameras, as it minimizes the amount of intervention necessary to conform data (with superior results). As of today, I have a new luma conform tool that is completely free of either hue or saturation distortion, and I am thrilled with it right now (not even Resolve's luma tools work this way). Now, I have to finish the second piece of the puzzle, and (accelerated) camera support will commence.

That sounds like P in the HSP color model. To me it reprents luma better than L in HSL, or V in HSV.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 6:39 AM, Adam Kuźniar said:

GH5 in HLG + 18-35, all handheld (as you can tell hahah). Slapped GHALex on top, fixed white balance, cranked up the contrast.

@Sage Any downsides to acquiring in HLG and then converting to Vlog-L and then Rec709 using GHAlex?

Maybe I’m crazy, but I find the AF is better when there is a bit more contrast in a profile.

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

@Sage Any downsides to acquiring in HLG and then converting to Vlog-L and then Rec709 using GHAlex?

Maybe I’m crazy, but I find the AF is better when there is a bit more contrast in a profile.

I know you're asking Sage but personally I use HLG simply because it's free ? I think I'd prefer V-Log if I had it because I had some issues with a weird green color cast when editing HLG.

Its not too much a concern; in fact, HLG/Cine-D are more robust from a codec perspective. Speaking Gen.4, the extreme gamut is perhaps where VLog will have the slight edge in directness, but the others might be preferable overall.

Attila - It does include perceptual luma weightings of RGB. To revisit the earlier discussion, everything fell into place with the engine rewrite (Pt.2). I've been working on the web side this week, and mostly wrapped that today. Now its back to finishing GHa V4, and last the Pdf (and streamlining it for future cameras).