GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Just a quick question, sorry if it was answered before, do this LUT works with GH4 footage?, or GH4 footage recorder with an Atomos external recorder?, any examples around?

It was made for the GH5 originally. I'd recommend Cine-D in that scenario over VLog for codec integrity, and/or recording externally to 10 bit.  I've seen a few examples over time, here is one:

20 hours ago, Parker said:

Really enjoying this lut the more I use it. Some grabs from a shoot today: 

Great color!!

On 8/1/2019 at 5:33 PM, Sage said:

Well, I've certainly blown through my own deadlines. Best steer clear of further prediction until the exact date can be guaranteed beyond a doubt. Progress on the P4K is good (which directly benefits the S, and 5).

Here is the first 'P4Ka in the wild':

EC MAIN

EC LINEAR

Genius shit as usual, Sage! Cant wait

With the new 6K announced, should they be the same sensor, just different sizes, this would be dope!

Also with the current p4k being developed, is the lut applied to the Vlog or prores footage? Or perhaps, it doesn't matter?

45 minutes ago, RCV said:

Genius shit as usual, Sage! Cant wait

With the new 6K announced, should they be the same sensor, just different sizes, this would be dope!

Also with the current p4k being developed, is the lut applied to the Vlog or prores footage? Or perhaps, it doesn't matter?

From the numbers, it sounds like its going to have a smaller pixel pitch. Grant noted that it would be 'almost identical', or something to that effect, but we'll have to see

2 hours ago, Sage said:

From the numbers, it sounds like its going to have a smaller pixel pitch. Grant noted that it would be 'almost identical', or something to that effect, but we'll have to see

cool...for the p4k, would the p4Alex be applied to braw or prores? Or can be applied to both?

1 hour ago, DVP said:

Will there ever be a GH5 Alexa LUT for the HLG profile whilst maintaining the profile's BT 2020 gamut range?   Please and thank you!

The HLG Pre maintains the entirety of the captured gamut, converted to VLog (and then to LogC; log profiles are wide gamut):

Hlg

HLG.thumb.JPG.49937566971172e42e995886dd1694f4.JPG

Pre to VLog

Pre.thumb.JPG.ef62ef441b20b1e5e17cd05b05158587.JPG

EC LogC

LogC.thumb.JPG.377b57c464a66d27b8757536bd5e2f6d.JPG

50 minutes ago, Sage said:

The HLG Pre maintains the entirety of the captured gamut, converted to VLog (and then to LogC; log profiles are wide gamut):

Hlg

HLG.thumb.JPG.49937566971172e42e995886dd1694f4.JPG

Pre to VLog

Pre.thumb.JPG.ef62ef441b20b1e5e17cd05b05158587.JPG

EC LogC

LogC.thumb.JPG.377b57c464a66d27b8757536bd5e2f6d.JPG

So, you would first set Resolve to Rec. 2100 HLG for the input and output color science and then drop the HLG Pre LUT onto the footage and then a common LogC LUT to maintain Alex like colors on GH5 footage in a Rec 2020 color space from input to output? 

Or am I missing something?  Thanks!  I'm getting my head wrapped around Resolve color correcting.

Just now, DVP said:

So, you would first set Resolve to Rec. 2100 HLG for the input and output color science and then drop the HLG Pre LUT onto the footage and then a common LogC LUT to maintain Alex like colors in a Rec 2020 color space? 

Or am I missing something?  Thanks!  I'm getting my head wrapped around Resolve color correcting.

You'll want those Resolve CM settings at default; the entirety of the data is accessible. One can think of the input and output settings in Resolve CM as a 'global CST', so to speak. For 2020, one could then use Arri's 2020 from their generator after the converted LogC. Granted, accurate post monitoring workflows can be challenging to set up.

https://www.arri.com/en/learn-help/learn-help-camera-system/tools/lut-generator

38 minutes ago, Sage said:

You'll want those Resolve CM settings at default; the entirety of the data is accessible. One can think of the input and output settings in Resolve CM as a 'global CST', so to speak. For 2020, one could then use Arri's 2020 from their generator after the converted LogC. Granted, accurate post monitoring workflows can be challenging to set up.

https://www.arri.com/en/learn-help/learn-help-camera-system/tools/lut-generator

I see a LUT generator path from their site like this:  Arri Log-C Wide Gamut (Source) to HDR ARRI-2100 HLG (Conversion Parameter) to 3D LUT Video (Destination Output File). File type - DaVinci Resolve. 

If that looks good, how would that created Arri Log-C to Arri 2100 HLG conversion LUT play with your conversion LUT scenario? 

It kind of makes things a bit more complicated, I know, since I would like the Arri like colors with the GH5, but maintain HLG and Rec 2020 throughout as I want to output HLG wide color content.

2 hours ago, DVP said:

I see a LUT generator path from their site like this:  Arri Log-C Wide Gamut (Source) to HDR ARRI-2100 HLG (Conversion Parameter) to 3D LUT Video (Destination Output File). File type - DaVinci Resolve. 

If that looks good, how would that created Arri Log-C to Arri 2100 HLG conversion LUT play with your conversion LUT scenario? 

It kind of makes things a bit more complicated, I know, since I would like the Arri like colors with the GH5, but maintain HLG and Rec 2020 throughout as I want to output HLG wide color content.

Granted everything's set up for monitoring in HLG, and you want to deliver in that format, that would be the base. It would be used following the LogC variation (just as one would with ordinary LogC). The timeline would be set to work in HLG, so that the grading tools operate contoured to HLG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, just a post to let you know that I’m also waiting for the P6K version of emotive color. I’m absolutely sure that both your knowledge and commitment will create some magic and make this beast of a camera shine in an unique way. Any ETA for the release ? Can’t wait !

Thank you for the amazing tools you are putting into our hands

Just now, Yannis said:

Hi there, just a post to let you know that I’m also waiting for the P6K version of emotive color. I’m absolutely sure that both your knowledge and commitment will create some magic and make this beast of a camera shine in an unique way. Any ETA for the release ? Can’t wait !

There's quite a difference between the P4K and P6K in color.
The P6K differentiates between different hues way better, also greens don't looks as lifeless, skintones look richer, way less IR contamination, slight yellow bias (bit RED like) etc...
Lots of things to take care off.

On 8/21/2019 at 6:22 PM, Yannis said:

Thanks so much!

Indeed it seems the P6K has a unique personality of its own. I don't know when it'll be ready, but I can say it will be something special.

An idea of what I've been kicking around: I rewrote the engine to work at whatever resolution on the fly. I did this to handle unique 97x/129x resolution passes that handle 'super' values beyond floating point 0.0 - 1.0. I've entirely remade the EC component in this larger space, and will be able to offer DCI-P3 variations (massively benefits 709 conversions as well)