GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

12 hours ago, Sage said:

By the way, for those using Linear, I am recommending a blanket desaturation to 90% following the conversion, until the next update is released

Thanks a ton! 

Actually I found that at least with this specific client they like a saturation boost like the one I did in the video above. Same with using linear - the lowered highlights looked unnatural to them. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/14/2019 at 7:08 PM, mirekti said:

@Sage Any updates on GH5S profile?

Working towards it, day by day. The exciting news this week is that I wrote the engine to be multi threaded on Thursday. Now a refinement pass takes a quarter of the time, which is a substantial savings when doing many successively. It will scale linearly to the Amd 12 core coming out next month. When the website changes in a very noticeable way, in about a month or so, it will mean the S is imminent.

Hey @Sage

Bought GHalex a couple of months ago, really enjoying it so far! Got two questions:

1. Is there any difference between filming in Vlog or filming in CineD and using the pre LUT? 

2. Do you have any reccomendations on adjusting whitebalance in FCPX?

36 minutes ago, 4nund said:

Hey @Sage

Bought GHalex a couple of months ago, really enjoying it so far! Got two questions:

1. Is there any difference between filming in Vlog or filming in CineD and using the pre LUT? 

2. Do you have any reccomendations on adjusting whitebalance in FCPX?

There is no difference under reference light (halogen or sunlight+FSNDs), but under leds/cfls there will be some degree of variance, depending on the peculiarity of the light spectrum. For an example of how they compare, here is VLog (400) and Cine-D (200) both converted to Main:

VL.thumb.png.4fce9646dd71dd2962f4ab6aa6515213.pngCD.thumb.png.e4e2c8659520e53e11c599834ed4dbe3.png

Here is interim guidance for Fcpx:

- To neutralize WB, (before everything else) use the temp/tint controls in the Color Wheels in conjunction with the Vectorscope. Avoid the Basic WB eyedropper (more than just WB).

- *For very bright or dark exposure, place the luma here, ahead of the conversion.

- Then, if you are shooting to VLog, you only need one Custom LUT Utility (listed under FCPX effects), with Main, Soft, or Linear loaded. For HLG or Cine-D, use 2 Custom Lut Utilities, with the PRE first (if HLG or Cine-D), and Main, Soft, or Linear second. *Avoid the MotionFX mLut plug-in* (incorrect color with PRE combo)
- After those, place the luma with your preferred luma tools in FCPX.

- The same basic principles and order of operation in Resolve and Premiere apply to FCPX

Dope work as usual Sage!

Selfish and unnecessary question but will there be a 4000 K or 4200 K  WB option for those of us who love the bluish and greenish hues in daylight? 

Great work regardless... can't wait for the p4k version

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to try out my new Simmod variable nd for times I dont want to keep changing my firecrest Nd's.

Seems to work pretty well after messing with the WB shift in camera to get rid of the green tint. Im starting to love using the GH5 with this Lut. I'v never had a camera produce such great colours with minimal effort.

Hi guys,

I use Vegas pro 16 for editing and grading. When shooting to v-log I firstly use panasonic LUT V-LOG to REC709 and after I do some grading (saturation etc).

Do you think that GHAlex Lut will work with Vegas pro? Has anyone tried it?

Thank you a lot!

8 hours ago, GeorgeN said:

Wanted to try out my new Simmod variable nd for times I dont want to keep changing my firecrest Nd's.

Seems to work pretty well after messing with the WB shift in camera to get rid of the green tint. Im starting to love using the GH5 with this Lut. I'v never had a camera produce such great colours with minimal effort.

Looks great. You've exposed it perfectly in my view. A lot of people tend to overexpose these days I find, which doesn't work well with this lut.

That lens looks very tasty - I'm sure you've been asked this before but what is it?

I'm also interested in your views on the Simmod VND. It had a bit of hype a while ago, but after I researched it all the positive views seemed to be coming from youtube vloggers who'd been given it for free (and I've learned to take youtuber reviews with a large pich of salt).

There are hardly any reviews or perspectives from real users. Is it good? Any colour casts, black crosses?

3 hours ago, austinchimp said:

Looks great. You've exposed it perfectly in my view. A lot of people tend to overexpose these days I find, which doesn't work well with this lut.

That lens looks very tasty - I'm sure you've been asked this before but what is it?

I'm also interested in your views on the Simmod VND. It had a bit of hype a while ago, but after I researched it all the positive views seemed to be coming from youtube vloggers who'd been given it for free (and I've learned to take youtuber reviews with a large pich of salt).

There are hardly any reviews or perspectives from real users. Is it good? Any colour casts, black crosses?

Thanks, I used a leica 50mm-r summicron and kowa b&h.

The Simmod seems pretty decent, I got one really cheap second hand though.It definitely has a greenish cast but using the wb tint adjustment in cam you can dial this out. I was using a tiffen variable nd before and the Simmod seems so much better.

On 6/16/2019 at 11:50 AM, Sage said:

Working towards it, day by day. The exciting news this week is that I wrote the engine to be multi threaded on Thursday. Now a refinement pass takes a quarter of the time, which is a substantial savings when doing many successively. It will scale linearly to the Amd 12 core coming out next month. When the website changes in a very noticeable way, in about a month or so, it will mean the S is imminent.

Do you also learn C++ as you go, or were you a C++ dev before creating the LUTs?

On 7/5/2019 at 6:48 PM, Rinad Amir said:

Am waiting for GH5s release lut 

Seen reviews i must try . 

You can actually use it already with your GH5s shots just needs some tweaking for your personal taste

Hey guys, just back from a trip -

On 6/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, RCV said:

Dope work as usual Sage!

Selfish and unnecessary question but will there be a 4000 K or 4200 K  WB option for those of us who love the bluish and greenish hues in daylight? 

Great work regardless... can't wait for the p4k version

Thanks RCV! Yes - but it'll be an approximation for ~4000k fluorescents/leds. For daylight, you'll want to use an accurate WB (from a white card), with the Daylight variation

On 7/3/2019 at 6:43 PM, GeorgeN said:

Fantastic video; exposure and WB were on point

On 7/4/2019 at 2:25 AM, midloch said:

Hi guys,

I use Vegas pro 16 for editing and grading. When shooting to v-log I firstly use panasonic LUT V-LOG to REC709 and after I do some grading (saturation etc).

Do you think that GHAlex Lut will work with Vegas pro? Has anyone tried it?

Thank you a lot!

Yes, though Vegas is a complete black box for me. Perhaps one day I'll give it a try. The same principles and order of operations for Resolve/Premiere apply to Vegas (granted the particulars of the NLE)

On 7/4/2019 at 6:16 AM, GeorgeN said:

Thanks, I used a leica 50mm-r summicron and kowa b&h.

The Simmod seems pretty decent, I got one really cheap second hand though.It definitely has a greenish cast but using the wb tint adjustment in cam you can dial this out. I was using a tiffen variable nd before and the Simmod seems so much better.

With NDs, its quite important to WB accurately. They very often give a green cast (also the case with the reference Firecrests)

On 7/5/2019 at 4:48 AM, Rinad Amir said:

Am waiting for GH5s release lut 

Seen reviews i must try . 

Working towards it; P4K is next, then S thereafter

On 7/6/2019 at 4:16 AM, Jak234 said:

@Sage:  do you think will the Lut will be workable on a Panasonics S1? It is Vlog and not Vlog-L. Also it should have significant more dynamic range. Does that mean underexposing to use the Lut?

Best

I would like to do an S1 variation, but it'll be a while yet. In either scenario, the exposure target of 45 middle gray will remain the same. With the current variation, one would lower the highlights in the NLE in advance of the conversion (rather than expose darkly in camera)

On 7/6/2019 at 9:04 AM, TurboRat said:

Do you also learn C++ as you go, or were you a C++ dev before creating the LUTs?

You can actually use it already with your GH5s shots just needs some tweaking for your personal taste

It was learn as I went; I had no idea how to code in C++ when I started. It was a daunting task, but I did used to code in ti-basic a long time ago. The challenge was about learning the particulars of C++, getting back into that mode, getting my head around the idea of 3d color manipulations, and coding with modern full computer potential. On the calculator, efficiency was everything.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:24 PM, Wild Ranger said:

Hi! It's there any idea if someone wanna try this Lut with Panasonic S1?

I'm very curious of the result. 

I hope to get there; I've been getting a lot of requests for the S1 lately. At the moment its the P4K, S, XT3 and S1 on the horizon. I expect to keep a swift pace once the P4K is out.

David L'Abbée, who has been fundamental to GHa since the beginning, sent this yesterday:

@sage: yes Please Panasonic S1. Its a killer camera and so many people will request in the future.

Concerning Luminance in recoding 10bit. Shall i activate 0-1023, 64-940 or 64-1023 in my Panasonics s1 (VLOG) to be most compatible with your gh5a lut right now?

Thank you

2 hours ago, Jak234 said:

@sage: yes Please Panasonic S1. Its a killer camera and so many people will request in the future.

Concerning Luminance in recoding 10bit. Shall i activate 0-1023, 64-940 or 64-1023 in my Panasonics s1 (VLOG) to be most compatible with your gh5a lut right now?

Thank you

It would be 0-1023 for VLog I believe (which is locked on the GH5 for VLog). Another advantage to the S1 vs the 5, is that it apparently can accept full look-ups for preview? The GH5 .vlt interpolation is shoddy next to the S1 and P4K here.

Saw these this week, I was really impressed:

Yan Berthemy sent this to me: