GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

On 4/11/2019 at 1:57 PM, Sage said:

Indeed, 4K 150mb is problematic (notably more banding in moving spotlight test)

You can keep the timeline settings at default in Resolve

I also wanted to ask you Sage what project settings you use when grading GH5 footage in Resolve ? I set it all up to SRGB cause all my work goes on youtube but maybe that is wrong? 

22704548_Screenshot2019-04-15at10_50_04.thumb.png.e798d148232ed5d8d140b4bc1f490216.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/15/2019 at 4:53 AM, BjornT said:

I also wanted to ask you Sage what project settings you use when grading GH5 footage in Resolve ? I set it all up to SRGB cause all my work goes on youtube but maybe that is wrong?

You'll be fine there; the in is the same as the out and timeline (no transform). Here are the defaults (or can set to 'DaVinci YRGB', and Rec709 2.4 Timeline):

Defaults2.PNG.0bf8444ecaef1852a161e76c78e79a98.PNG

Here's something I put together in Premiere with 'Soft' and the luma sliders (under color wheels:

On 4/9/2019 at 6:47 PM, katlis said:

Here's a fun one. Using GHAlex on Mavic Air D-Cinelike to match GH5S V-Log. ? These clips were actually shot on different days too. 

That looks nice :) I've tried to match my Mavic Air with my GH5 a few times using GHa, but somehow my drone footage (and colors especially) always somehow feel a bit "off". I realize GHa isn't developed for drones in mind, but I think you've done good job.

Would you mind sharing your Mavic Air in-camera settings and workflow? Cine-D PRE?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2019 at 1:20 PM, FreshGiant said:

Sage, I love the LUT (bought both versions). Is there any plans to come out with a full V-LOG version? With the prices of EVA1 coming down and S1 getting full V-LOG in July, I think there will be more interest in a full V-LOG to GHa LUT. 

Thank you! I plan to do that this year, should everything work out.

On 4/29/2019 at 5:44 PM, hypp said:

Saw this at Reddit and thought you might like it. This person used your workflow and lut. 

That was really impressive; I was away this week and hadn't seen it. Excellent WB, exposure, and luminance placement

Hi everyone! Im new here! Your LUT is absolutely amazing Alex and I finally get my footage to look the way I want!! But I noticed one problem...when I just load the LUT in Davinci Resolve and in Final Cut Pro X on the exact same clip without any further editing it seems that the Final Cut version seems to have a color cast (slightly magenta). In Resolve it looks great, but in Final Cut it would need extra tweaking to get the colors right. Anyone else noticed this problem or potentially knows a solution?

On 5/9/2019 at 12:28 AM, creativecell said:

Hi everyone! Im new here! Your LUT is absolutely amazing Alex and I finally get my footage to look the way I want!! But I noticed one problem...when I just load the LUT in Davinci Resolve and in Final Cut Pro X on the exact same clip without any further editing it seems that the Final Cut version seems to have a color cast (slightly magenta). In Resolve it looks great, but in Final Cut it would need extra tweaking to get the colors right. Anyone else noticed this problem or potentially knows a solution?

Thank you good sir! Yes, that is a problem; Resolve is the reference (Premiere also had a similar issue, requiring a Pre). I will look into this.

On 5/9/2019 at 2:11 PM, Samurai said:

Hi Sage,

I would like to ask, in which profile I should record to easily use your LUTs in 8bit/10bit 150mbps by using Sandisk Extreme PRO 256GB V30? Cine D? REC 709? HLG?

Hey there, I saw your email. Cine-D is the one that fits the 8/10 bill.  I'd recommend any other codec than the 150 4K ;)

On 5/9/2019 at 2:56 PM, majoraxis said:

@Sage I'm ready to purchase your Alex lut tuned for the Blackmage Pocket 4k when available. Do you have and ETA for this?

Thanks!

Working on it as we speak (summer methinks)

20190422_184306.thumb.jpg.5581763e6461ca6334a8fd60c5a3f388.jpg

1 hour ago, Sage said:

Roman Alaivi did a side by side test yesterday with his Alexa C; he'll be shooting a film in FL next week with both, using the GH5 as the gimbal camera

looks good.
Already received your Pocket 4K?
Figured out quite a lot dealing with these nasty red and blue highlights...

Just now, deezid said:

Just switched to ARRI colorspace. Having more luck with dark blues in comparison.
And color separation between yellows and reds is better. :)

Are you using color managed timeline? Any other settings changed other than just converting to Arri colorspace?

Just now, JeremyDulac said:

Are you using color managed timeline? Any other settings changed other than just converting to Arri colorspace?

not using color management or ACES on project level anymore in Resolve. Since version 15.2.3 it is completely messed up (alpha especially).
Switched to using CST or ACES transforms and recently to adjustment layers. Works quite well.

1 minute ago, deezid said:

not using color management or ACES on project level anymore in Resolve. Since version 15.2.3 it is completely messed up (alpha especially).
Switched to using CST or ACES transforms and recently to adjustment layers. Works quite well.

Ahh interesting. Good info, thanks.