GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, superporpoise said:

I'm still relatively new to the grading world (and the Resolve world, and video in general), but this Fuji workflow is pretty amazing. Debating returning the Pocket 4K I just picked up because of how great this makes my XH1 and XT3 footage look.

I'm keen to have a native P4K conversion in the relatively near future btw

18 minutes ago, Sage said:

I'm keen to have a native P4K conversion in the relatively near future btw

That would be cool. Is there a workaround for now to get a general feel of what it would look like (with the current GH5 version? Basically I'm not sure how to go about turning Blackmagic Film into Vlog). I'm sure the P4K is a better video camera than the Fujis, but I also do stills and if I can get 90% to the P4K without having to have 2 sets of lenses/UIs/batteries/etc. I definitely wouldn't mind.

Couple screenshots as well (from Prores Proxy files nonetheless). Color and contrast is off from what I'm seeing in resolve idk why (they are slightly more contrasty, more saturated, a little warmer IRL).

1958313517_ScreenShot2019-04-06at8_01_36PM.thumb.png.7b520c54c594ea25c5524b429af37e86.png

2129270108_ScreenShot2019-04-06at7_37_34PM.thumb.png.0c8875cda125241cd1dddf33f808de63.png

Observation from preliminary testing GHa on X-T3:

With F-log, even at 10bit 400Mbps, applying two LUTs (F-log to V-log then GHa linear) produces noticeable banding in the footage. The F-log banding issue was discussed in other threads but using two LUTs really accentuate these artifacts.

HLG works amazingly well, the GH5 HLG preparation LUT is a perfect match (BT.2100 HLG is a standardised colour space so shouldn't come as a surprise). Again as discussed in another thread, HLG on X-T3 removes the magenta hue. Shades of blue have that Alexa signature cyan tint.

4 hours ago, androidlad said:

Observation from preliminary testing GHa on X-T3:

With F-log, even at 10bit 400Mbps, applying two LUTs (F-log to V-log then GHa linear) produces noticeable banding in the footage. The F-log banding issue was discussed in other threads but using two LUTs really accentuate these artifacts.

HLG works amazingly well, the GH5 HLG preparation LUT is a perfect match (BT.2100 HLG is a standardised colour space so shouldn't come as a surprise). Again as discussed in another thread, HLG on X-T3 removes the magenta hue. Shades of blue have that Alexa signature cyan tint.

Please post photo examples. 

And the reason I ask is I just shot an entire short at an open field/horse barn and graded the entire project using GHALEX and there is not one trace of banding. Not even in the outdoor shots going directly into a blue sky, all the way to a way underexposed inside the barn office and even then it was just fine. 

Even before on the old thread, I was unable to make my Fuji's footage band at all. I am coming from shooting on Sony's.. so I know what banding is! Is it entirely possible that you have a bad copy? I have googled and googled and you are the only person I have found that has issues with banding on a Fuji system. Every search I have done for it has brought up issues with photo and the ES, but nothing for the 10bit video. 

5 hours ago, DanielVranic said:

Please post photo examples. 

And the reason I ask is I just shot an entire short at an open field/horse barn and graded the entire project using GHALEX and there is not one trace of banding. Not even in the outdoor shots going directly into a blue sky, all the way to a way underexposed inside the barn office and even then it was just fine. 

Even before on the old thread, I was unable to make my Fuji's footage band at all. I am coming from shooting on Sony's.. so I know what banding is! Is it entirely possible that you have a bad copy? I have googled and googled and you are the only person I have found that has issues with banding on a Fuji system. Every search I have done for it has brought up issues with photo and the ES, but nothing for the 10bit video. 

I've seen a couple complaints regarding F-log banding/blocking on DPReview forum. Most people don't care though, not everybody is an image quality purist.

Doesn't look like a hardware problem so bad copy is very unlikely.

21 hours ago, superporpoise said:

That would be cool. Is there a workaround for now to get a general feel of what it would look like (with the current GH5 version? Basically I'm not sure how to go about turning Blackmagic Film into Vlog). I'm sure the P4K is a better video camera than the Fujis, but I also do stills and if I can get 90% to the P4K without having to have 2 sets of lenses/UIs/batteries/etc. I definitely wouldn't mind.

Couple screenshots as well (from Prores Proxy files nonetheless). Color and contrast is off from what I'm seeing in resolve idk why (they are slightly more contrasty, more saturated, a little warmer IRL).

1958313517_ScreenShot2019-04-06at8_01_36PM.thumb.png.7b520c54c594ea25c5524b429af37e86.png

2129270108_ScreenShot2019-04-06at7_37_34PM.thumb.png.0c8875cda125241cd1dddf33f808de63.png

Those are really impressive. The last time I looked into the idea of an interim solution for the P4K was for Eugenia Loli (she is the one who got me into cameras in 2008, on HV20.com; EC probably wouldn't exist without her). From what I saw, there was only a transform for the original Pocket; the P4K (cs4) wasn't yet supported. Though - you won't have to wait long for P4K support methinks.

4 hours ago, John Roque said:

Just tried GHa with HLG vs FLOG

That's the exact same artifact as on the GH5. Low saturation and contrast gradient macroblocks that don't know whether they want to be more red or more green. It seems to arise from codec compression + log especially - is it mp4?

3 hours ago, mirekti said:

@Sage Hi there. Are we close to getting GH5S conversion? 

Yes, no later than the summer

14 hours ago, Sage said:

From what I saw, there was only a transform for the original Pocket

Hey Sage, are you talking about the OFX plugin inside Resolve? Or another solution? I use EC with my GH5 but I'd love to use it also with my Micro (Pocket V2 sorta)

6 hours ago, dia3olik said:

Hey Sage, are you talking about the OFX plugin inside Resolve? Or another solution? I use EC with my GH5 but I'd love to use it also with my Micro (Pocket V2 sorta)

Yes, there is a cst BMD Film option, and VLog out

With recent tests from Fuji cameras I decided to find some footage from the Sony A7III and grade it. The footage isn't very good but it's the only "raw" (directly from the camera and not compressed during upload) footage I could find online so take it for what it is. I transformed Slog2 to V-log in DaVinci Resolve using the color space transform tool before applying the GhAlex lut. Using this method the footage got very overexposed but I found a semi-workaround by setting the pivot to 0 and adjusting the contrast on the main node. Although I had some problems conforming the footage to standard cinema luminance because of this semi-workaround. 

On 4/9/2019 at 11:47 AM, katlis said:

Here's a fun one. Using GHAlex on Mavic Air D-Cinelike to match GH5S V-Log. ? These clips were actually shot on different days too. 

Ah very nice

10 hours ago, kobi said:

Hi Sage,

Is your LUT will work with external recorder as the Atomos Ninja V when using with GH5? should working i guess...

What are the best settings for that?

How can I test the LUT's?

Thanks!

As long as the footage is not for use in Premiere at the moment (needs a new ProRes/Dnx pre for fully accurate color). Also, use the 33x variations to preview VLog on  the Ninja

Send me Tiffs (from Resolve), or DPXs with an empty Lumetri applied (in Premiere) 

For those without a GH5, hold off on picking up a GH5 version if you don't have it (if you do, feel free to experiment); I want that the experience be perfect for each camera it is used with.

I have found similar results with GH5 during these conditions. When shooting 4K In vlog this is much more prominent than shooting HLG which is why I dont shoot VLOG anymore. Then again VLOG in 1080P All-I like Sage suggest yield better results with this blocking/banding  issue than it does in 4K ipb 150mb

On 4/7/2019 at 10:07 PM, John Roque said:

Just tried GHa with HLG vs FLOG. Is this the flog banding you're talking about @androidlad? It's really noticeable in this shot (carpet and right side of wall) the hlg doesn't have this issue or is really minimal compared to flog.

floggha.thumb.jpg.3f59fb2124ebd74de9a661877083f25a.jpghlggha.thumb.jpg.6480c15676f81e974070ae615ca3a391.jpg

16 hours ago, Sage said:

As long as the footage is not for use in Premiere at the moment (needs a new ProRes/Dnx pre for fully accurate color). Also, use the 33x variations to preview VLog on  the Ninja

Send me Tiffs (from Resolve), or DPXs with an empty Lumetri applied (in Premiere) 

For those without a GH5, hold off on picking up a GH5 version if you don't have it (if you do, feel free to experiment); I want that the experience be perfect for each camera it is used with.

OK thanks, so I shoot in HLG 4K on the Ninja and than set timeline in DR to work with HLG, I WB and correct at first node than apply HLG to VLOG color space, than using Arri LogC to REC709 and the results are AWESOME!!! (then my previous attempt), looks crispy and clear, after a REC709 I can apply a look to a node and also results are good.

I don't use PR

I will keep experience with this.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, BjornT said:

I have found similar results with GH5 during these conditions. When shooting 4K In vlog this is much more prominent than shooting HLG which is why I dont shoot VLOG anymore. Then again VLOG in 1080P All-I like Sage suggest yield better results with this blocking/banding  issue than it does in 4K ipb 150mb

Indeed, 4K 150mb is problematic (notably more banding in moving spotlight test)

1 hour ago, kobi said:

OK thanks, so I shoot in HLG 4K on the Ninja and than set timeline in DR to work with HLG, I WB and correct at first node than apply HLG to VLOG color space, than using Arri LogC to REC709 and the results are AWESOME!!! (then my previous attempt), looks crispy and clear, after a REC709 I can apply a look to a node and also results are good.

I don't use PR

I will keep experience with this.

Thanks!

You can keep the timeline settings at default in Resolve