GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, kye said:

I'm not convinced I'll swap over permanently, but folks who do anamorphic shooting may be very interested in the GHa LUTs combined with that anamorphic look.  The GH5 is great value for money, but if you want to shoot 10-bit anamorphic with de-squeeze and without an external monitor it becomes the bargain of the century, and the Alexa colour combined with the big-screen aesthetic would be a spectacular match.

90% of the time I'm shooting 2x anamorphic these days, yet I never got around to trying 6K mode... mostly because I record to an Atomos, but I was also concerned 4:2:0 color wouldn't give the best GHa results. Now that I've switched to GH5S that's out of the question anyway! 

8 hours ago, A. L. said:

Shot this video using GHaV3 Lut on GH5s. 

Followed the guides in the documentations, just drop the LUT in the timeline and tweak the mid-tones, shadow and highlights as suggested.

I'm loving the colors!

That was really cool. I have a couple ideas, if I may share?

These were my favorite shots (a sodium vapor shot, no less):

1.thumb.PNG.3cee4e6ade2dc03add23eef1d1132686.PNG2.thumb.PNG.49250a363519a13a16f545ea7ab63268.PNG3.thumb.PNG.400c3f96ac7aa3d461ca9a909531f073.PNG

On 2/27/2019 at 10:48 PM, kye said:

@Sage I have swapped over from the 4K modes to the 6K Open Gate mode on the GH5 as that mode has some great advantages, including less sharpening.  

Are you planning to update your instructions with new 'softening' parameters to match the sharpness of the Alexa?  This mode seems pretty great (h265, 5K 4:3 image for anamorphic or cropping in post, less sharpening) so it would be useful to have those settings as a reference ???

One could potentially 'reverse engineer' the ideal settings by finding the settings to match 4K to 6K's smoothness, and then 'subtract' that from the required settings to match sharpened 4K to the Alexa.

The 6K mode is one of the things potentially on my list to look at; I would also need to dial in a PRE for Premiere, as I believe that there will be unique distortion for h265 formats. Also, while I haven't used it, @deezid mentioned to me that there were some compression issues at 6K.

@katlis @Wild Ranger Those stills look amazing.

I should mention that with digital diffusion, my impression was that it didn't rise to the level of optical diffusion quality. Granted, the last time I seriously looked at the question was a solid decade ago. I believe that when there is already some degree of optical diffusion, digital diffusion can supplement that nicely. The Takumar primes have a nice diffusion, and having lenses with inherent diffusion side steps the 5's inverse sensor reflections problem.

23 hours ago, A. L. said:

Thanks! Any suggestion would be great! 

With this style, I felt that the montage with the falling piano motif would be ideally paired with slow motion shots interspersed - the same rotating shots of the characters, but in slow motion, the directional motion of each shot feeding into, and informing the next.

Second, for the Adr/dialog at the end, it would be optimal to record in a similar environment to the one shown for the correct reverb (space). Key is placement of the mic relative to the mouth - not too close, but not too far. That is, to have a sense of the reverb tail, without over powering the voice with reverb, or the 'deadness' of right in front of the mouth. For the existing dialog, one could maximize realism by EQing out a bit of bass (~120Hz region & below) and adding a slight reverb tail to add 'space' to the sound (testing reverb settings until it feels fitting for the space on screen)

3 hours ago, Jak234 said:

Do you know if the S1 with the Vlog  (not l but the full vlog) Update will be compatible to your plugin?

If not will you make it compatible? 

Methinks it would largely work, given what I've seen from other VLog cameras (much more so than, say, NLog). That said, I'd like to do a version for the S1, as that would be fully accurate and tailored to its image. 

14 minutes ago, Sage said:

That's the plan - they just refuse to sell me one ;)

I wonder if they have addressed the red clipping issue with the update? That's my central concern

Frankly, I'd say skip it and go for a little jewel which is about to explode...

ZCAM E2...same sensor but MUCH more of a camera than the P4K can ever be...

form factor, mindset behind it, 120 fps @ 4K with full sensor readout, build quality, power consumption,

4:3 and 6:5 ANA support, ethernet, wifi, remote control, realtime streaming to mobile via USB-C...you name it...

14 hours ago, dia3olik said:

form factor, mindset behind it, 120 fps @ 4K with full sensor readout, build quality, power consumption,

4:3 and 6:5 ANA support, ethernet, wifi, remote control, realtime streaming to mobile via USB-C...you name it...

You have a point there.. at the very least, they seem responsive haha. I've been having an email conversation about supporting it. The core differentiator is price; the P4K would (theoretically at this point) be a lot more accessible. I like the idea of being able to opt for premium codec/low-light with the P4K or IBIS with the 5  at that price range (perhaps one day, both)

20 hours ago, dia3olik said:

The only thing i'd debate is how the form factor of a "brain" is better than something with a handgrip? Also, does it not shoot RAW? Wouldn't that be a pretty big difference, especially at a higher price point?

21 hours ago, JeremyDulac said:

The only thing i'd debate is how the form factor of a "brain" is better than something with a handgrip? Also, does it not shoot RAW? Wouldn't that be a pretty big difference, especially at a higher price point?

Another factor is, everyone will have the reference NLE; that really appeals to me. Its hard to beat that luma curve + hue lock out workflow.

On 2/28/2019 at 11:37 PM, A. L. said:

Shot this video using GHaV3 Lut on GH5s

@Sage I still think we need a dedicated LUT for GH5S. To me, it seems there’s a bit of green cast in some shots. So even though this looks really good, it would have been better with a dedicated GH5S LUT.

31 minutes ago, Grimor said:

I get the Lut 5 days ago and i still can't get decent result with it.

Premiere (over windows) user, colors i get looks weird and muddy, beside skintones,  the only thing that seens to be good.

Hey Grimor, can you send me Dpx (with empty Lumetri applied) stills of your raw footage, and Jpgs of the final image? My email is emotivecolor (at) gmail (dot) com.

1 hour ago, mirekti said:

@Sage I still think we need a dedicated LUT for GH5S. To me, it seems there’s a bit of green cast in some shots. So even though this looks really good, it would have been better with a dedicated GH5S LUT.

No worries, no matter the non-Panasonic camera I support next, the S will be of equivalent priority and released simultaneously, or shortly thereafter. From what I've seen, the S is a touch warmer.

14 hours ago, Sage said:

Hey Grimor, can you send me Dpx (with empty Lumetri applied) stills of your raw footage, and Jpgs of the final image?

Thank you very much, Sage, for your support.

Now i'm rethinking my workflow in premiere.