GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, jase said:

Sincd @Sage did not cover FCPX in his manual - any FCPX users out here using GHa?

FCPX coverage coming up (I have it now). This is what I've learned thus far:

In FCPX you will want to use the Custom Lut utility built in, rather than a plug-in to apply GHa (beware mLut). Also, for correcting WB, use the temp/tint controls in the Color Wheels in conjunction with the Vectorscope. Avoid the Basic WB eyedropper (more than just WB). The same basic principles and order of operation in Resolve and Premiere apply to FCPX.

Gave the Lut a go on some FS7 footage I shot recently. It's not as good as it is on the GH5 but it still doesn't look too bad. This was Slog-3, GHa Daylight (Linear 33x) with exposure and wb adjustments in premiere nothing else:

@SageI would love it if you were able to work on a Sony Lut.

15 hours ago, Sage said:

FCPX coverage coming up (I have it now). This is what I've learned thus far:

In FCPX you will want to use the Custom Lut utility built in, rather than a plug-in to apply GHa (beware mLut). Also, for correcting WB, use the temp/tint controls in the Color Wheels in conjunction with the Vectorscope. Avoid the Basic WB eyedropper (more than just WB). The same basic principles and order of operation in Resolve and Premiere apply to FCPX.

Thanks Alex! Wanted to quickly try your LUT with FCPX before but gave up when I couldnt find a way to do it without buying a plugin lol. So I just went to Premiere where it was faster.

7 hours ago, TurboRat said:

Thanks Alex! Wanted to quickly try your LUT with FCPX before but gave up when I couldnt find a way to do it without buying a plugin lol. So I just went to Premiere where it was faster.

I know the earlier versions of FCPX didn't have custom Lut utility, and required a plug in. It should be listed under effects in the bottom right under the latest version.

11 hours ago, gwan said:

Gave the Lut a go on some FS7 footage I shot recently. It's not as good as it is on the GH5 but it still doesn't look too bad. This was Slog-3, GHa Daylight (Linear 33x) with exposure and wb adjustments in premiere nothing else:

That was nice! I hope to get to it as soon as possible; it'll probably be for non-slog (due to 8 bit limitation)

1 hour ago, DanielVranic said:

Any chance of this LUT being made for the Fuji system

That's the plan; with 10 bit its a great candidate as well. I've got a lot on the table atm (website, fcpx guide, video walkthroughs, several cameras (including S), prores pre, short film, secret project), but I will try to move as quickly as I can.

23 hours ago, gwan said:

How did you convert from S-Log to the GHa?  I'd suggest that an S-Log3 to V-Log conversion in Colour Space Transform plugin in Resolve should do a pretty good job.  Or maybe this LUT calculator?  https://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCalc/LUTCalc/index.html

44 minutes ago, Alex Laskka said:

Hey guys!

Here's my latest music video shot on GH5
It was all recorded before I discovered GHa conversion so all the night shots had to be graded without GHa since it was recorded in Cine

Looks fantastic! In the future with Cine-D, you should be able to keep those sunny highlights (and extreme gamut at -5). Great images throughout

On 2/18/2019 at 4:59 PM, Sage said:

That's the plan; with 10 bit its a great candidate as well. I've got a lot on the table atm (website, fcpx guide, video walkthroughs, several cameras (including S), prores pre, short film, secret project), but I will try to move as quickly as I can.

Sounds great. In the meantime with the GHa LUT work with my X-T3 footage as it is? Anything I have to do to make it work?

1 hour ago, DanielVranic said:

Sounds great. In the meantime with the GHa LUT work with my X-T3 footage as it is? Anything I have to do to make it work?

It's not ideal, but I've played around with some shots from my X-T3 using LUTCalc's FLog to V-Log conversion, and then GHa on the next node. 

I'm probably one of the only GHa buyers that has never owned a Panasonic camera. I've used it with Nikon, Sony and Fuji footage haha

@Sage

BTW, another vote for an X-T3 conversion! That would be awesome.

You once said you were working on some "look" conversions too, alongside the Alexa ones. Are those still planned? That could be quite interesting.

23 hours ago, GabrielFF said:

You once said you were working on some "look" conversions too, alongside the Alexa ones. Are those still planned? That could be quite interesting.

I want to do a universal extension of EC that will bring some key features to the fore: exposure conversions, possibly WB correctives, and something else that will be really neat. This will come after new cameras are supported, FCPX is documented, and Premiere ProRes/DNx supported, etc. I need clones ;)

1 hour ago, ChristianH said:

@Sage Do you have any experience with the HDTV/FX filters? Seems to be a combo of ultra con and digital diffusion fx (but I'm having trouble finding out the strength of each). 

Well, I did have a UC3 back in the day. I wouldn't recommend it though; UC doesn't do halation - rather it lifts the black level with light catching particles on the surface, if I recall correctly.

For DD1, I'd only use it with the 5 *if there is enough light to stick an (at min) 2 stop ND between it and the lens. Its just what the 5 needs, in terms of texture (v the Alexa).

31 minutes ago, Sage said:

For DD1, I'd only use it with the 5 *if there is enough light to stick an (at min) 2 stop ND between it and the lens. Its just what the 5 needs, in terms of texture (v the Alexa).

It works great using the P4K in RAW mode, it almost acts like an OLPF. There's basically no more aliasing nor moire in my shots even with objects like fences, house walls etc... 
And the additional smoothing even looks great on the RED Gemini. :)

1 minute ago, deezid said:

It works great using the P4K in RAW mode, it almost acts like an OLPF. There's basically no more aliasing nor moire in my shots even with objects like fences, house walls etc... 
And the additional smoothing even looks great on the RED Gemini. :)

Wow. In a sense, that's it; an 'external Olpf'. Now, to simply get it mounted on the sensor..

On 2/23/2019 at 10:17 AM, Sage said:

Wow. In a sense, that's it; an 'external Olpf'. Now, to simply get it mounted on the sensor..

Speaking of, I just picked up a GH5S and I'm glad to hear it has an OLPF. I took it out over the weekend with my anamorphic setup, here's a couple of stills (Alex I think you've seen these on Facebook with a slightly different grade, but these here are straight GHa). 

MM-GHa-01.jpg

MM-GHa-02.jpg