GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Sage said:

Looks good Chris; Did you end up monitoring with the .vlt, or 709?

Here are some stills from the weekend:

1746235419_SyncedSequenceReplaced.01_03_58_12.Still004.thumb.png.6b3817c20dbda9655643ed83b0bc970a.png1819739014_SyncedSequenceReplaced.00_53_47_10.Still007.thumb.png.b3c49c916ebd55ab778b2e50c960d687.png1806074800_SyncedSequenceReplaced.01_24_34_01.Still008.thumb.png.1972a1db78c50734fe3e2e1085305586.png2113027801_SyncedSequenceReplaced.00_51_15_01.Still006.thumb.png.9fd45038a98c3d88a6392a36e750759c.png1731901498_SyncedSequenceReplaced.00_51_55_04.Still005.thumb.png.7fcd2a3bcb9f19f5887ca568e08624a3.png

Used the standard Panasonic version for monitoring, since yours had way too much banding for monitoring, and wasn't accurate at all in terms of colors/highlights, etc. In post, it's a different story for sure! 

8 hours ago, redepicguy said:

Just got a GH5 to go with my Alexa and purchased the LUTS. Pretty impressed so far. With some tweaks, they work very well. 

VLOG

46182931684_707a860206_c.jpg

GHa 

45993369565_d2e6176d38_c.jpg

Final Look:

46182931204_d24e0f8a53_c.jpg

Welcome!

Nice looking stills.

Have you tried to match the GH5 with your Alexa yet?  If so, how did it go?

On 1/28/2019 at 3:47 PM, redepicguy said:

Used the standard Panasonic version for monitoring, since yours had way too much banding for monitoring, and wasn't accurate at all in terms of colors/highlights, etc. In post, it's a different story for sure! 

Yea its a tough call. I still prefer the GHa vlt colors, as long as its the midtones. Highlight gradients can't keep up at 17x with GH5 interpolation

33 minutes ago, Wild Ranger said:

Hi @Sage is there a Sony a7 version coming some day? I'm currently DPing a Feature and we are using the Sony a7sII. 

That's the plan; I'm wading through some complex code at the moment, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel lately.

Why didn't they opt for GH5?

3 hours ago, Sage said:

Why didn't they opt for GH5?

I mentioned it but the director really wanted the full frame look, also there are some situations of low key lighting and despite i always light my scenes, the sony do respond really well in low key.

On one hand i did some test shots and was able to get some nice color from the Sony. But honestly i prefer the GH5 for IQ and if i can I'm gonna steal some shots with mine for the film.

22 minutes ago, Wild Ranger said:

I mentioned it but the director really wanted the full frame look, also there are some situations of low key lighting and despite i always light my scenes, the sony do respond really well in low key.

On one hand i did some test shots and was able to get some nice color from the Sony. But honestly i prefer the GH5 for IQ and if i can I'm gonna steal some shots with mine for the film.

Primer LUT for Sony works quite well, I'd say very close to Alexa.

http://omeneo.com/primers/sony/#

36 minutes ago, Wild Ranger said:

Better than the S? This is one area I expected the P4K to excel at, with that new sensor.

20 hours ago, deezid said:

Still waiting for BMD to fix color science 4 though (red clipping).

This may be the reason for the slow down in shipping - they want to fix the problem before shipping out any more?

Do you have raw (prores) red clipping footage? If so, can you send it my way? I'd like to take a look at it.

1 hour ago, Sage said:

This may be the reason for the slow down in shipping - they want to fix the problem before shipping out any more?

Do you have raw (prores) red clipping footage? If so, can you send it my way? I'd like to take a look at it.

It's not a camera issue (well it kinda is recording ProRes at least). Take a look at this sample BRAW file from Blackmagic from the UMP. Same issue using color science 4
https://downloads.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursamini/blackmagicraw/Blackmagic_RAW_Note_Suwanchote_Wedding_Dancing.zip