GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, LORDD said:

Hello, congratulations for the work with the image of your last work;). Forgive my English as an XD translator. I would like you to explain the workflow and if you have learned or have learned something different from the GHAlex tips IN YOUR pdf. According to what you said, you recorded with CinelikeD (PARAMETERS?) And then you went to LogC? AS?. And about the grading, do you use premiere or Davinci ?. Also, if we take those images in Vlogl and use the GHAlex, the result is not the same.  A greeting.

------

Hola, enhorabuena por el trabajo con la imagen de tu último trabajo ;). Perdonar mi Ingles de traductor XD. Me gustaria que  explicases el flujo de trabajo y si variaste o has aprendido algo diferente de los consejos de GHAlex EN SUS pdf. Segun lo que has comentado, grabaste con CinelikeD (¿PARAMETROS?) ¿Y luego pasaste a LogC? ¿COMO?. Y sobre el etalonaje, ¿usas premiere o Davinci?. Ademas, si cogemos esas imagenes en Vlogl y usamos el GHAlex, el resultado no es el mismo. Un saludo.

Hola, yo también hablo español ? es mi primer lengua.

Los consejos de GHAlex de los PDF son una gran guia! Yo implemento lo que recomienda en respecto a filmar con Cinelike D, luego vario un poco en respecto a mi flujo de trabajo tradicional. Si, luego lo convierto a LogC y ahi parto de la base de ya trabajar con LogC de costumbre. La ventaja de LogC es que es reconocido como estándar universal. El grading no lo trabajo ni en Premiere ni en Davinci, lo hago todo en After effects. Si, se que es un proceso engorroso, pero es una costumbre que tengo de hace varios años, en algun momento me terminare de pasar a Davinci. Premiere es lo peor para grading, nunca trabajas en una buena profundidad de bits para tener alta calidad, un desastre, en cambio After effects en sus 32 bit es muy preciso y obtienes renders de muy alta calidad.

7 hours ago, JeremyDulac said:

@Wild Ranger Very nice work! I also am a big fan of the colored versions. 

Your lighting is particularly nice also - Are you using any fill on these close-ups or is this all natural light? 

That was all natural light, no fill. ? 

On 12/4/2018 at 5:43 PM, Wild Ranger said:

Hello everyone!

I'm been working in several projects lately, here i wanted to to show some still of a new short film i shot last week. The final look will be in black & white, but here i will put some stills in color with V3 and my grade. Also some Vlog stills. 

I know the forum is mainly driven by lusting after gear and pixel peeping but if you should ever have the time and motivation, I would love to see a "behind the scenes" thread from you where you tell more about your process (without hijacking this one). Planning, shooting, post. I think your videos are some of the best I've ever seen by a participant of this forum.

Been having great fun with these LUTs, GHAlex is a win! I know some of us are hoping for a Sony LUT but because there's going to be 9 different A7 cameras it's understandably a questionable prospect.

I have a Sony A7III and GH5 and took a quick shot this morning - totally unscientific.  Guess which shot is which, GH5 + GHAlex and Sony A7III

GH5 I tried HLG and CineD (don't have Vlog), 4k 24p 10bit, Sony I tried Cine2/Pro and Slog2/sg3.cine (both 4K 100mbps 24p at -16 sat, which I fucked up, just trying out lower saturation).

I only uploaded 3 because one of them was so similar it was pointless.  These are exports from Resolve.

To my eyes I can get a pretty close match, but it's easier when I have something to match to.  If I just had the A7III on its own I'm not sure what I would end up with compared to the GH5 shots. Main point was to see if I could use both on a project and match it.  I know it's just one shot but at least it's possible in certain circumstances!

01_1.36.1.jpg

02_1.37.1.jpg

03_1.43.1.jpg

9 hours ago, Phil A said:

I know the forum is mainly driven by lusting after gear and pixel peeping but if you should ever have the time and motivation, I would love to see a "behind the scenes" thread from you where you tell more about your process (without hijacking this one). Planning, shooting, post. I think your videos are some of the best I've ever seen by a participant of this forum.

I usually never record or register my productions layout but if I find some time I'll try to write something about it.

If you have any specific question you wanna know, write me a private massage and I'll try to put it on a different thread so we don't go off topic.

1 hour ago, scotchtape said:

Been having great fun with these LUTs, GHAlex is a win! I know some of us are hoping for a Sony LUT but because there's going to be 9 different A7 cameras it's understandably a questionable prospect.

I have a Sony A7III and GH5 and took a quick shot this morning - totally unscientific.  Guess which shot is which, GH5 + GHAlex and Sony A7III

GH5 I tried HLG and CineD (don't have Vlog), 4k 24p 10bit, Sony I tried Cine2/Pro and Slog2/sg3.cine (both 4K 100mbps 24p at -16 sat, which I fucked up, just trying out lower saturation).

I only uploaded 3 because one of them was so similar it was pointless.  These are exports from Resolve.

To my eyes I can get a pretty close match, but it's easier when I have something to match to.  If I just had the A7III on its own I'm not sure what I would end up with compared to the GH5 shots. Main point was to see if I could use both on a project and match it.  I know it's just one shot but at least it's possible in certain circumstances!

Those are honestly too hard to tell apart, at least for me. It would be a guess on my part. Very well done.

Didn't see too many GH5s examples in here. I went back to an old project and used the Cine-D to V-Log pre and then applied the GHa Daylight V3 in DaVinci Resolve. It worked out better than I thought it would. I'll be shooting more V-Log L in the future with this LUT in mind to test it out. Shot in 4K UHD with Contax Zeiss lenses and a Zhongyi Lens Turbo 2.

Alexa 00.png

Alexa 01.png

Alexa 03.png

Alexa 04.png

Alexa 02.png

On 12/5/2018 at 12:26 PM, Sage said:

Working on the website as fast as I can (the primary reason is to support the S and P4K). This is the best possible news for S owners ;) Not working on the GH5 at the moment, but there will be more news there once the S is addressed.

I need a spotlessly clear, *sunny day. Many layers will be worn

Thank you! The GH5 versions already work well with mine, but it would be nice to have an official version for my GH5s. This is good news indeed.

14 hours ago, Kleo said:

Didn't see too many GH5s examples in here. I went back to an old project and used the Cine-D to V-Log pre and then applied the GHa Daylight V3 in DaVinci Resolve. It worked out better than I thought it would. I'll be shooting more V-Log L in the future with this LUT in mind to test it out. Shot in 4K UHD with Contax Zeiss lenses and a Zhongyi Lens Turbo 2.

Alexa 00.png

Alexa 01.png

Alexa 03.png

Alexa 04.png

Alexa 02.png

Brilliant idea! looks good!

Has anyone tried these LUTs with LUMIX G80/G85 in Cine-D or knows to what extent its image differs from the GH5?

Or else: @Sage - do you plan to make an XT-3 version anytime soon? My partner just bought it and it's quite fantastic but until it becomes an Alexa colorwise, I refuse to use it ;)

Unfortunately my G85 was kind of a dud. Well not quite as listed. I used it once in my backyard and although it’s a definite step up from the G7, every time I went to do some shots, I immediately grabbed my 5D3. I’ll just have to admire what you guys are doing with the GHa. 

If I get a few minutes before I return it, I’ll do a little test with it if it can help others who may be interested going that route. 

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

Unfortunately my G85 was kind of a dud. Well not quite as listed. I used it once in my backyard and although it’s a definite step up from the G7, every time I went to do some shots, I immediately grabbed my 5D3. I’ll just have to admire what you guys are doing with the GHa. 

If I get a few minutes before I return it, I’ll do a little test with it if it can help others who may be interested going that route. 

Cine-D, -5 sat (16-235 lum) is the ticket; I can apply the conversion to it. If I can, I'll try to get around to the 5D3. One day, the GH5 will have more companions.

On 12/14/2018 at 4:46 PM, .mateusz said:

Has anyone tried these LUTs with LUMIX G80/G85 in Cine-D or knows to what extent its image differs from the GH5?

Or else: @Sage - do you plan to make an XT-3 version anytime soon? My partner just bought it and it's quite fantastic but until it becomes an Alexa colorwise, I refuse to use it ;)

I've tried it and it looks worse than GH5 samples that were posted here but that's probably be also due to me applying it to some old footage that wasn't shot properly. I've yet to find time to shoot some proper examples and if I do I'll post them here :)

Here's are a couple of screenshots from Premiere Pro - CineD to Vlog applied + GHa Daylight. No additional CC done besides that 

comment_gVzjzXBgdLTCY6Jtri9Rnhj4axgfF1DO

47689503_273968843303272_440888025257554

Here are ones with GHa Tungsten (where I think I messed something up while shooting)

comment_NiGjE40w6mKThm3yY4S6qShOKvEMGcUdcomment_Gkx6F7xJAI7b0a2NnhtCsujlBSnlwqfg

@Adam Kuźniar They look good! In the last, it appears to be lit by led? Skintone is too green there; this is an issue with cheaper yellow leds. Halogen will render more magenta*

Cine-D was also at 0 sat (thereabouts). To simulate ideal Cine-D, lower the saturation in advance of the conversion (in addition to WB adjustment):

CD-5_1.5.1.thumb.jpg.38098011f86d84f9c4234ab5563d7f72.jpg

14 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

I've tried it and it looks worse than GH5 samples that were posted here but that's probably be also due to me applying it to some old footage that wasn't shot properly. I've yet to find time to shoot some proper examples and if I do I'll post them here :)

Here's are a couple of screenshots from Premiere Pro - CineD to Vlog applied + GHa Daylight. No additional CC done besides that 

comment_gVzjzXBgdLTCY6Jtri9Rnhj4axgfF1DO

47689503_273968843303272_440888025257554

Here are ones with GHa Tungsten (where I think I messed something up while shooting)

comment_NiGjE40w6mKThm3yY4S6qShOKvEMGcUdcomment_Gkx6F7xJAI7b0a2NnhtCsujlBSnlwqfg

I've found that sometimes skin tones can go too pink, but it's normally just a matter of lowering the saturation to fix it.  I think of it like Canon footage which can sometimes have reds that are too saturated, so lowering the saturation of those colours after the conversion is a pretty standard way to treat a lot of footage from different cameras.

I also shoot auto-WB and in mixed-lighting (against Sage's guidance of course!) and it definitely gives you trouble in post.  Sometimes playing with the WB before the conversion can tidy things up nicely, and other times you have to do seperate adjustments to different parts of the image.  For example in the wedding shot you could adjust skin tones on one person and not the other by using a combination of a key and a power-window.  You might push the woman slightly toward pink and the man slightly towards yellow, or perhaps just desaturate him and adjust the woman to match him.

Good luck - fixing these kinds of problems isn't easy!

2 hours ago, kye said:

I've found that sometimes skin tones can go too pink, but it's normally just a matter of lowering the saturation to fix it.  I think of it like Canon footage which can sometimes have reds that are too saturated, so lowering the saturation of those colours after the conversion is a pretty standard way to treat a lot of footage from different cameras.

I also shoot auto-WB and in mixed-lighting (against Sage's guidance of course!) and it definitely gives you trouble in post.  Sometimes playing with the WB before the conversion can tidy things up nicely, and other times you have to do seperate adjustments to different parts of the image.  For example in the wedding shot you could adjust skin tones on one person and not the other by using a combination of a key and a power-window.  You might push the woman slightly toward pink and the man slightly towards yellow, or perhaps just desaturate him and adjust the woman to match him.

Good luck - fixing these kinds of problems isn't easy!

Yeah I think fixing WB first will ease color correction using the lut but I also use auto-WB because I dont have the time to always snap a gray card first. What I see that help is adjusting the saturation too. Loving this LUT and it has kept me from selling my GH5 for a P4K :)