GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

10 hours ago, kaylee said:

jonsey, that trailer was AMAZING!! ??? what tha heck!! i had no idea?!! whats the story with the film (Luggage)? can i watch the whole thing online somewhere??

i agree with @mercer, the lovely art direction and cinematography in this trailer perform far beyond how a camera can – you could shoot on potato, jonesy~! what r u up to right now??

*I* need as many bits and Ks as possible for emotional support ? seriously tho, cant believe that was shot on a 7d... awesome

I couldnt agree more, very well said @mercer

thats the story of my life. keep plugging away. if you have to, just keep your head down, and dont look at what other people are doing. chances are, youll wake up one day being the person you once dreamed of being

Thanks Kaylee. Not sure if this link still works but that is where I sold it on demand. Warning: the film is slow. From a "check out what I made with almost no resources" I'm extremely proud of it. Cast was amazing. I just wouldn't produce a film like that again. But I learned so much and hope to try again. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Thanks Kaylee. Not sure if this link still works but that is where I sold it on demand. Warning: the film is slow. From a "check out what I made with almost no resources" I'm extremely proud of it. Cast was amazing. I just wouldn't produce a film like that again. But I learned so much and hope to try again. 

that link is down but thats ok!!! wow, was this your first film, or first feature??

the thing about filmmaking, if i may, is that its almost impossible. @mercer used that word, and thats a great way to put it. its true. and if youre ever going to get to a level where things are easier because you have a *crack* team around you who could actually make the film by themselves if you had to go home sick (dances with wolves), you have to make films virtually by yourself to get there – which again is damn near impossible

my friend ted hart says that. i mean when he says "the things i do in the ring are almost impossible" – thats true. he never gets hurt. hes edgier than a box of razorblades, and hes arguable a tremendous professional failure, but the point remains

On 9/28/2018 at 1:12 PM, will_fowkes said:

hello all! I made the Ireland video, thanks for all of your lovely comments :)

@PannySVHS I'll try to remember as much as I can about the process I used for this video. 

In-camera: I set my WB for each shot using a grey card, and the whole video was shot in V-LOG 24fps 150mbit 4K. 

Post: I use Premiere Pro for all post-processing, and I'm pretty sure I did all of the colour correction and grading within Lumetri for this video. I used the GHa Premiere 10-bit VLog [PRE] LUT in the 'Input LUT' section of Lumetri. And then used the GHa Daylight (Soft) at 80 Strength in the 'Creative LUT' section. I would do those 2 steps first, before colour correcting (minor adjustments to WB, exposure, possibly adding contrast in the RGB curve, slightly increase saturation). I didn't have to do anything else to the video in terms of grading, I really liked the colours like that. As @Sage mentioned, I found sometimes that greens went too far towards blues, but this was fairly easy to correct with the Colour Wheels in Lumetri. After colour correcting, I duplicated the videos into a second layer and set this new layer to Opacity 0.18 and Gaussian Blur 5.2, as recommended in the LUT PDF as a way of removing some of the GH5's digital sharpness. I then added in some grain which has been smushed by Youtube as expected.

It's worth mentioning I only have a very limited experience of videography and colour grading, having done it as a hobby for about a year now. However, I'll gladly try to answer any other questions anyone has. Equally, I'm very open to any suggestions on my process anyone has after watching my video! I can't recommend @Sage's conversion LUT enough, it does magical things to the GH5.

Thanks man, just seeing this now

Indeed, cyanish Arri greens are a thing (its a "memory color", so people can vary on this one)

Fwiw, I recommend 100% strength, and correct as desired from there (important for full LogC conversion, including rolloff)

@Sage

With the Ninja V coming out soon, how would you use it with the GH5? You're able to bake in LUTs with the Ninja V. Would you suggest doing that at all to get the look straight out of the camera, or add it later still? If we can shoot like that, we'd be able to get a good look in camera and have a quicker turn around time too.

On 9/28/2018 at 1:12 PM, will_fowkes said:

hello all! I made the Ireland video, thanks for all of your lovely comments :)

@PannySVHS I'll try to remember as much as I can about the process I used for this video. 

In-camera: I set my WB for each shot using a grey card, and the whole video was shot in V-LOG 24fps 150mbit 4K. 

Post: I use Premiere Pro for all post-processing, and I'm pretty sure I did all of the colour correction and grading within Lumetri for this video. I used the GHa Premiere 10-bit VLog [PRE] LUT in the 'Input LUT' section of Lumetri. And then used the GHa Daylight (Soft) at 80 Strength in the 'Creative LUT' section. I would do those 2 steps first, before colour correcting (minor adjustments to WB, exposure, possibly adding contrast in the RGB curve, slightly increase saturation). I didn't have to do anything else to the video in terms of grading, I really liked the colours like that. As @Sage mentioned, I found sometimes that greens went too far towards blues, but this was fairly easy to correct with the Colour Wheels in Lumetri. After colour correcting, I duplicated the videos into a second layer and set this new layer to Opacity 0.18 and Gaussian Blur 5.2, as recommended in the LUT PDF as a way of removing some of the GH5's digital sharpness. I then added in some grain which has been smushed by Youtube as expected.

It's worth mentioning I only have a very limited experience of videography and colour grading, having done it as a hobby for about a year now. However, I'll gladly try to answer any other questions anyone has. Equally, I'm very open to any suggestions on my process anyone has after watching my video! I can't recommend @Sage's conversion LUT enough, it does magical things to the GH5.

@will_fowkes Loved the video! I loved the story and how you told it as well. The voice over was done wonderfully! If I may ask, what type of exposure did you aim for? Neutral, or over a bit?

3 hours ago, Ryley K said:

@Sage

With the Ninja V coming out soon, how would you use it with the GH5? You're able to bake in LUTs with the Ninja V. Would you suggest doing that at all to get the look straight out of the camera, or add it later still? If we can shoot like that, we'd be able to get a good look in camera and have a quicker turn around time too.

The ability to bake in luts in camera would transform the GH5, and pretty much any consumer camera, at little or no cost to the manufacturer. I'm surprised nobody has done it in a video targeted camera yet.

It would end any complaints about colour science.

On 10/2/2018 at 12:14 PM, Ryley K said:

@Sage

Sure, the key being to get WB right in cam, and use the matching light source conversion. Because mistakes invariably happen in the field, I'd recommend simultaneously recording a Log fall back

21 hours ago, austinchimp said:

The ability to bake in luts in camera would transform the GH5, and pretty much any consumer camera, at little or no cost to the manufacturer. I'm surprised nobody has done it in a video targeted camera yet.

It would end any complaints about colour science.

I heard something to the effect that the P4K would do this. I'm curious if that's the case (might add something like an 'inverse conversion' for regular use)

@Sage have you encountered gamma shifting after rendering in Premiere. I was using the Emotive Color lut  on Lumetri>Creative like what the manual says, and like what I see on my screen on Premiere.  But after rendering and, i get washed out colors on Quicktime. But playing on VLC looks fine. Problem is, I think after uploading to Youtube / Vimeo, it will follow the Quicktime desaturated look. Any advice on this? Thanks

2 hours ago, TurboRat said:

@Sage have you encountered gamma shifting after rendering in Premiere. I was using the Emotive Color lut  on Lumetri>Creative like what the manual says, and like what I see on my screen on Premiere.  But after rendering and, i get washed out colors on Quicktime. But playing on VLC looks fine. Problem is, I think after uploading to Youtube / Vimeo, it will follow the Quicktime desaturated look. Any advice on this? Thanks

Indeed, its the classic Quicktime Apple/Windows gamma conflict. Apple has discontinued support for Quicktime; VLC is an optimal player for its efficiency and simplicity. To test the handling of exported files by Vimeo/Youtube, upload the file, and choose 'Private' for the video's visibility as it uploads.

3 hours ago, hypp said:

Someone just uploaded some footage comparing the BMPCC 2K, 4K and GH5s and I would like to see how GH5s footage using this lut compares to BM. Could someone test grade this using this lut? Filename: P1034641.mov Much appreciated! 

Sure, here you go - these are the raw conversions (last is the default V35 look-up for reference)

LogC

723001644_2logc.thumb.png.108427fc625da0994d3e2fa9d480f344.png

Soft

1046627676_3soft.thumb.png.e1ee678e5ed2dd98c3c1f6d37e667c25.png

Main

1449704463_4main.thumb.png.15ac956ecf82747db47109bf6994b100.png

Linear

892847230_5linear.thumb.png.0e6ee6741887a7a92a72d79df140fe16.png

Varicam

1018122870_6varicam.thumb.png.b1db1f50057d736499f15504cf6b8961.png

On 10/2/2018 at 7:03 PM, deathly_twig said:

@will_fowkes Loved the video! I loved the story and how you told it as well. The voice over was done wonderfully! If I may ask, what type of exposure did you aim for? Neutral, or over a bit?

Thanks for watching! Typically I do aim for over a bit, but I would never ETTR so much that I clip the highlights 

19 hours ago, Sage said:

Sure, here you go - these are the raw conversions (last is the default V35 look-up for reference)

Thank you! I'm having a hard time judging if I like the GH5 look or not. Do you know of a fairly easy way to add this Arri Alexa look to the BMPCC 4K for comparison sake? I want to see how the GH5 stack up against BMPCC 4K image quality. 

10 minutes ago, hypp said:

Thank you! I'm having a hard time judging if I like the GH5 look or not. Do you know of a fairly easy way to add this Arri Alexa look to the BMPCC 4K for comparison sake? I want to see how the GH5 stack up against BMPCC 4K image quality. 

For sure it does have better color science, way less noise (in ProRes thanks to its nice filtering https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Blackmagic-Pocket-Cinema-Camera-4K---Bildqualitaet-und-Sensor-Verhalten--Low-Light.html#Low_L and https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Blackmagic-Pocket-Cinema-Camera-4K---Bildqualitaet-und-Sensor-Verhalten.html), better dynamic range and no sharpening at all - but more prone to aliasing and even moire in high frequency detail.

2 hours ago, hypp said:

I'm looking into possibly bringing EC to the P4K; in that case, I'll be able to do just that. The two with EC will have identical color (under daylight or tungsten), because at the core is a measured LogC color science conversion (in contrast with a look). Additionally, I may do conversions to go between the P4K and the GH5, to make them interchangeable. 

9 minutes ago, Sage said:

I'm looking into possibly bringing EC to the P4K; in that case, I'll be able to do just that. The two with EC will have identical color (under daylight or tungsten), because at the core is a measured LogC color science conversion (in contrast with a look). Additionally, I may do conversions to go between the P4K and the GH5, to make them interchangeable. 

sounds great.
Still undecided between the Pocket 4K and X-T3 honestly.
The good auto focus and 120p without crop (and still 10 bit) are tempting...

17 minutes ago, deezid said:

sounds great.
Still undecided between the Pocket 4K and X-T3 honestly.
The good auto focus and 120p without crop (and still 10 bit) are tempting...

I'd like to get a hold of a Fuji - I wonder if they'll be bringing IBIS into the mix

2 minutes ago, Sage said:

I'd like to get a hold of a Fuji - I wonder if they'll be bringing IBIS into the mix

Really looking forward to their X-H2 as well for that reason lol
Wishlist would be like:
- Better battery
- IBIS (closer to the GH5 please)
- Swivel screen

@Sage I've just settled on a GH5 and am interested in the GHa products.

Can you give a brief outline of how they work?  I assume that there are some custom settings or a LUT that you configure the camera with and some other LUTs that you apply in post?

Also, does it work with the HLG profile (which will probably be my preferred profile)?

I'm grading in Resolve and have had a lot of success grading C-Log by having a WB/exposure node then the conversion node and then the grade, which I understand is how you recommend using GHa?

@kye Indeed, it would be either VLog, HLG, or Cine-D (with specific settings)

1 In post, a PRE matching the format of the footage (& NLE) is first applied

2 the WB is then corrected with the dedicated WB temp/tint tools of the NLE (exposure wouldn't be corrected here, as it will impact the accuracy of the conversion)

3 Then the conversion is applied, followed by the grade/correction for under/over exposure