GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, katlis said:

Here's a quick test from tonight. 

The sequence labeled GHAlexa is PRE and GHa Daylight LUT only, no luma adjustments. 

V-Log L,  Full-HD All-I, 60p & 24p, 400 ISO, auto white balance
SLR Magic Anamorphot-40 1.33x + Polarizer
Panasonic Lumix G 25mm f/1.7

De-squeezed frame is 2560x1080.

Final.png

Looks excellent. Well exposed, and the auto WB seems to have done well

*Amazing work from Ryan Glover:

And Ryan on the GH5S:

1 minute ago, anonim said:

Panasonic bought you patent for a fortune and will make it as free update? :)

Lol, not quite, but it will be a free EC update - and its stunning

25 minutes ago, Sage said:

*Amazing work from Ryan Glover:

And Ryan on the GH5S:

Lol, not quite, but it will be a free EC update - and its stunning

"Lol, not quite..." Why lol :) I really don't understand why Panasonic didn't already hire you... such capable "hacker" will make their life easier and comfortly prolong life of GH5 to the indeed legendary period of time in regarding field of usage - they already did it with Nick Driftwood...

The Lane looks to me really "amazing"... In Tilian-Cocky author really didn't spare sack with a precious grain :)

11 minutes ago, mercer said:

Is that your work? Looks really nice. I can see a similarity with Like709 but Sage’s Profile is definitely more cinematic but it seems like a good colorist could get there using Like709.

@Sage are there any samples floating around from your CineLikeD conversion?

No, I found it two month ago, but decide to post now because for some time I didn't see contribution to this one, my most favorite thread - simply I like very much talented independent people... Also, I feel a need to approve myself as proud carrier of the fresh-acquired title Fanboy!

But, I'm sure you have something to note about similarity with ML and 5D III - but you still hesitate :)

22 minutes ago, anonim said:

"Lol, not quite..." Why lol :) I really don't understand why Panasonic didn't already hire you... such capable "hacker" will make their life easier and comfortly prolong life of GH5 to the indeed legendary period of time in regarding field of usage - they already did it with Nick Driftwood...

The Lane looks to me really "amazing"... In Tilian-Cocky author really didn't spare sack with a precious grain :)

No, I found it two month ago, but decide to post now because for some time I didn't see contribution to this one, my most favorite thread - simply I like very much talented independent people... Also, I feel a need to approve myself as proud carrier of the fresh-acquired title Fanboy!

But, I'm sure you have something to note about similarity with ML and 5D III - but you still hesitate :)

My mentions of the 5D3 are of a wholesome admiration for the camera and how it made my work look less like total crap and just plain crap overnight but I do not mention it to sway anyone one way or another... much like your admiration for the GH5. Actually, with Sage’s “profile,” a GH5 could be in my future. 

16 minutes ago, mercer said:

My mentions of the 5D3 are of a wholesome admiration for the camera and how it made my work look less like total crap and just plain crap overnight but I do not mention it to sway anyone one way or another... much like your admiration for the GH5. Actually, with Sage’s “profile,” a GH5 could be in my future. 

Actually, I have no special admiration for the GH5 (more actually I have admiration just for some people and their works), instead, I hate all camera manufacturers equally because their products are so pricey for my pocket and unfortunately I can't quickly and easy change systems, not to mention to have two simultaneously :) 

But I admire fanatics as Sage, firstly because I recognize part of myself in his dedication :) and secondly because I find this last version of GHa shockingly good...

Yes, I predict that GH5 will be in your future... above, just posted, clip The Lane looks, I think, incredibly similar to some of the best Canon ML results that I saw...

BTW - typically, I still didn't buy GHa :)

Precisely, it looks extremely similar color distribution and balance, as also skintone smoothness - where it is presented - between these two clips... Actually, in GH5-gha example exists, I'd say, even little bit more accurate work and, consequently, sometimes better rolloff protection, but impression is, for me, on the same level (so doubling my fanboyism!)

7 hours ago, anonim said:

What profile does a file have to be recorded in camera to wind up with an accurate GHAlexa and Like 709 file frame?

Seem like maybe they shot Like 709 and the converted it to something to convert it to GHAlexa?

Please help me understand what process was used to generate the same exact frame used for comparison from the link above and if it is considered an accurate example of what GHAlexa can do.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

What profile does a file have to be recorded in camera to wind up with an accurate GHAlexa and Like 709 file frame?

Seem like maybe they shot Like 709 and the converted it to something to convert it to GHAlexa?

Please help me understand what process was used to generate the same exact frame used for comparison from the link above and if it is considered an accurate example of what GHAlexa can do.

Thanks!

Hi, you made me serious task, but I resolved it successfully :) Namely, I can't strictly help you because those examples are not mine, but, after effort of several minutes, I found again from where I picked them few months ago... so maybe you can post question there...

Here it is, I wish you to find answer to your question... 

8 hours ago, anonim said:

Yes, I predict that GH5 will be in your future... above, just posted, clip The Lane looks, I think, incredibly similar to some of the best Canon ML results that I saw...

BTW - typically, I still didn't buy GHa :)

Although, I definitely agree that The Lane looks really good, I’m not sure that it bests the best ML videos. There is a natural texture and depth to ML Raw, especially in regards to skin, that is unmatched in my opinion.

With that being said, there are features in the GH5 that make shooting a blast. And with Sage’s work, a lot of my previous issues with the GH5 are cured. So for certain projects, it could prove useful. 

Please post your results if you pick up Sage’s LUTS. You know he has a free one for CineLikeD if you want to get your feet wet.

15 hours ago, Maverick530 said:

Does anyone know how to add the film matrix onto the image?

As best I can tell, Arri seems to have removed the film matrix option from the Lut generator. Its something I haven't experimented with, but I know that @JeremyDulac has a copy

On 8/26/2018 at 12:14 AM, mercer said:

Although, I definitely agree that The Lane looks really good, I’m not sure that it bests the best ML videos. There is a natural texture and depth to ML Raw, especially in regards to skin, that is unmatched in my opinion.

With that being said, there are features in the GH5 that make shooting a blast. And with Sage’s work, a lot of my previous issues with the GH5 are cured. So for certain projects, it could prove useful. 

Please post your results if you pick up Sage’s LUTS. You know he has a free one for CineLikeD if you want to get your feet wet.

The Lane is pre-Olpf update; the OLPF settings impart a texture which is very similar to the Alexa (the pinnacle of video texture)

On 8/25/2018 at 4:50 PM, majoraxis said:

Thanks!

I believe they used the Varicam 709 Lut on a VLog frame, to compare it to GHa on the same frame

The Varicam 709 Lut is available here

@Maverick530

@Maverick530 I attached a copy of the lut i ripped before they removed it from the site. You can also apply it as a 3x3 matrix: Bottom of page 7 in this document shows the matrix required: http://www.centron.sk/Storage/Document/Product/3453-2012-08-02_Alexa_LogC_Curve-Usage_in_VFX.pdf

Or a DCTL: last post on this thread: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=61073&p=348495

AlexaV3_EI0800_LogC2Film_EE_davinci3d.cube

12 minutes ago, JeremyDulac said:

@Maverick530 I attached a copy of the lut i ripped before they removed it from the site. You can also apply it as a 3x3 matrix: Bottom of page 7 in this document shows the matrix required: http://www.centron.sk/Storage/Document/Product/3453-2012-08-02_Alexa_LogC_Curve-Usage_in_VFX.pdf

Or a DCTL: last post on this thread: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=61073&p=348495

Bravo ?

On 8/28/2018 at 9:47 AM, JeremyDulac said:

@Maverick530

Thanks @JeremyDulac I've been looking for it so I could experiment with it.

Hi everybody!

It´s been a long time since the last time i pass on this forum.

Now i wanna share my last work, a fashion/music film.

Shot with GH5 and using @Sage Alexa color for starting point in the grading. Using 2,21 aspect ratio. Mastered in 2.3k (2386x1080)

Hope anyone can enjoy it.

PS: Soon I'll share some stills for comparison.