GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Its really simple; first thing of note, its standard cinema luma placement for nighttime interiors with diffuse facial lighting -

Take a look at where the faces place, and the black level is set in these:

1.thumb.JPG.92953d5556896a5d46c2f5729e4839af.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.09c321d8e9aca96e5a0d971f1f26d489.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.83db0106a29cfc67ba1f86e5d77027b8.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.61e542537d3b8d86dd68f421f0f90771.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.5cfa861a7a50e8b6fa3336f10500de22.JPG

(its actually a bit brighter than I wanted, for the context of this white page)

Very nice! Thanks for the info.

So could you elaborate on what the hue pass through setup? What is exactly is hur distortion? I think i have an idea, but was hoping you could explain. Also i notice you give several suggested methods of altering luma - but this hue pss through is your preferred method?

thanks!

5 minutes ago, JeremyDulac said:

Very nice! Thanks for the info.

So could you elaborate on what the hue pass through setup? What is exactly is hur distortion? I think i have an idea, but was hoping you could explain. Also i notice you give several suggested methods of altering luma - but this hue pss through is your preferred method?

thanks!

It is my favorite method, because the Resolve luma curve is precise, and direct for luma placement. And for a neutral full saturation style, it used to just be the conversion on one node, and a luma curve on the next. Thanks to David L'Abbée, I discovered that it distorts hue. This means that (for example) a given red twists toward green as it gets brighter; and the other hues (MBCGY) twist away from where they should be with brightness change (contorting the color space). Ideally the curve should be coded to 'build-in' this hue pass, though we can do it manually

23 minutes ago, Sage said:

It is my favorite method, because the Resolve luma curve is precise, and direct for luma placement. And for a neutral full saturation style, it used to just be the conversion on one node, and a luma curve on the next. Thanks to David L'Abbée, I discovered that it distorts hue. This means that (for example) a given red twists toward green as it gets brighter; and the other hues (MBCGY) twist away from where they should be with brightness change (contorting the color space). Ideally the curve should be coded to 'build-in' this hue pass, though we can do it manually

Ahhh very interesting. Many thanks for all your work, as usual!!

5 minutes ago, deezid said:

It seems like the Hue distortion issue is fixed in DR15.
At least I can't reproduce the issue here.

If I use the Hue bypass via layer mixer or not - there's 0 difference in either Waveform, Parade nor Vectorscope

That's fantastic news! Case study in why updates are vital*

I'll be testing at work tomorrow

17 minutes ago, Sage said:

That's fantastic news! Case study in why updates are vital*

I'll be testing at work tomorrow

Nvm, reproduced the issue by preparing two different versions of the grade - one with bypass, one without and it's easily visible going back and forth.

22 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

@Sage, just installed your new Verde version and about to have a play. 

I'm considering the EVA1, do you think you'd provide a profile for this? 

I know of at least one (likely more) who is using it with the EVA1. It is VLog, so there is a great degree of similarity between them at the core. I extended the conversion to continue for those higher stops that don't exist on the GH5. Ideally, I 'd like to measure the EVA someday, if I could get ahold of one and have time to do it

Let me know how you like Verde!