GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

19 minutes ago, JeremyDulac said:

On another note about browser accuracy...someone posted this in the fb color grading group.

Could be of some help, but haven’t tried it yet.

That might be the ticket; Chrome/Opera colorspace was a little bit off compared to Edge/Explorer in my testing on W10

Firefox is my main browser - but wow, video color is a problem there

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/4/2018 at 10:41 PM, mercer said:

I recently found this little trick for WB in post. In the tutorial, Larry Jordan uses FCPX but it can be used with any editor that has a vectorscope.

https://larryjordan.com/articles/fcp-x-a-simple-but-amazing-color-correction-trick-video/

Scroll down to see the video. 

Nice, but to be honest, in Davinci is a lot easier and accurate, you just need to include in each shoot something white at the beginning, I use to start shooting a white card and then continue with the shoot....

1 hour ago, hijodeibn said:

Nice, but to be honest, in Davinci is a lot easier and accurate, you just need to include in each shoot something white at the beginning, I use to start shooting a white card and then continue with the shoot....

Exactly. And that's why I think Apple restricting ProRes RAW support to only FCPX makes no sense at all - which is a bit off topic though.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, amsh89es335 said:

I have the GH5S how far off would the look be to use this on them? 

There are many who use it for the S now (they are very close, and the improvement is simply massive). I hope to actually release a free update for the S specifically, when I get my hands on one (just send me an email saying you're getting it for the S)

I learned recently that a friend works with someone, who knows someone who has one. So, we're trying to line things up so that I might have some time with it

On 7/6/2018 at 4:42 AM, tihon84 said:

nice shots. JUST VLOG + GHA was applied?

Did a little grading in photoshop:

gif.gif

David usually prefers to expose brighter, and then bring down gamma in post (usually the only change made)

He likes the natural low con indie style; both that and the punchier style are viable grades though (and often it is influenced by the native contrast and brightness of the grading screen, ideally all would be the same, i.e. cinema reference)

The main aim is to have a consistent style for the whole of a film, for a given scene type, guided by IRE placement in the luma waveform. For a cloudy daylight scene, the face will place here, with shadowed skin tones rolling off there, etc. As long as shadows/highlights aren't clipping, you're legal (unless creatively intended, i.e. bleach bypass, crushed blacks)

HI! New off topic from me... Heh

Roman post this video on Vimeo, and i think it looks amazing.  Look at this colors. This is the look i`m searching all the time.

Shot on URSA Mini pro

Looks so nice! Reach and natural! 

Trying to achieve this look using David files.

Sage, can you send me Davids raw vlog PNG for my personal tests only? If you don`t mind

Thanks

gif1.gif

gif2.gif

14 minutes ago, tihon84 said:

HI! New off topic from me... Heh

Roman post this video on Vimeo, and i think it looks amazing.  Look at this colors. This is the look i`m searching all the time.

Looks so nice! Reach and natural! 

Trying to achieve this look using David files.

Sage, can you send me Davids raw vlog PNG for my personal tests only? If you don`t mind

Thanks

Nice work! Your grade is more in that direction of Roman's blue shadow/magenta cast. A slight desaturation before the cast might be in order methinks

Roman likes to work in that low midtone contrast style that I mentioned in the previous post, with lens flares abounding (raises shadow level temporarily in a shot). He also has GHa (no GH5) and an Alexa

I'll ask David if he can send me Vlog stills of those; he just sent me the finished ones I believe (I'm away from home till later this week)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2018 at 9:23 PM, tihon84 said:

Shot on URSA Mini pro

Nice video..  lens flares and colours look really good.

But the content!  All test videos should be so entertaining!!

Here is, I just uploaded!

I was just playing with the lens, it soft but i love the character. I'm thinking in using it on some music videos, maybe some narrative film. The film-noir suits very nice with it.

I shot everything in the 4:3 anamorphic mode so i can frame correctly, then cropped in post. Maybe i will post a 4:3 version. Film grain is real super 16 that I shot my self.

@Wild Ranger That looks great! Very vintage. I should mention, in the interest of fidelity, that the 4:3 mode uses a different codec with a bit different color science. For EC, I recommend All-I 2K or 4K, for the organic fluidity of motion, smooth gradients, and edit-ability. I hope to get around to a 4:3 Pre

In any case, your work is always very good!

*Edit: Here's a frame shot with All-I 2K in ETC mode, with the new 2.2 Soft (which will be great as a filmic base):

EDIT.00_01_12_04.Still003.thumb.jpg.8bc1cc2b1e4982e864ba01fd5ccae91e.jpg

7 hours ago, Sage said:

That looks great! Very vintage. I should mention, in the interest of fidelity, that the 4:3 mode uses a different codec with a bit different color science. For EC, I recommend All-I 2K or 4K, for the organic fluidity of motion, smooth gradients, and edit-ability. I hope to get around to a 4:3 Pre

Thanks Sage, i really appreciate the feedback!

I used the normal 4:3; the one which is h264, 10 color for 25fps and 8 bit for 50fps. I suppose the codec is the same. I didnt used the 6k 4:3 because i needed the Ex tele converter in camera to frame the shot, also I know the 6k 4:3 uses h265 codec.

Still a 4:3 pre will be awesome!

that 2.2 soft looks nice!

49 minutes ago, Wild Ranger said:

Thanks Sage, i really appreciate the feedback!

I used the normal 4:3; the one which is h264, 10 color for 25fps and 8 bit for 50fps. I suppose the codec is the same. I didnt used the 6k 4:3 because i needed the Ex tele converter in camera to frame the shot, also I know the 6k 4:3 uses h265 codec.

Still a 4:3 pre will be awesome!

that 2.2 soft looks nice!

Ah, completely disregard that then. That only applies to 6K h.265 4:3

Yes, 2.2 Soft will be perfect for filmic styles and tint grades