GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

9 hours ago, salim said:

@tihon84 - I'm curious how do you know you're precisely at 42 IRE? What is your workflow. I just a SmallHD and I have the waveform in one of my cards, but I didn't realize you can get that kind of a precise reading. Can you share some screenshots (that would be awesome) that shows your IRE regarding? Is there a different method than the waveform. I'm still fairly new about video stuff (despite doing photos for 20 years) so trying to absorb as much as possible from other group members. thanks!

Hi, take a look:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@jns Yes it's not bad. That's a color space transform; this adds sensor/color sci differences and an accelerated Alexa-like rolloff (with a quality color back end in the case of the emotive color variants). You can get Day, and shoot day balanced lighting indoors (gels etc.)

@tihon84 How do you like the V2 update?

thn.thumb.png.27e2b22b94f8ab6d4a8dd2a33ca68ed6.png

4 hours ago, Sage said:

@jns Yes it's not bad. That's a color space transform; this adds sensor/color sci differences and an accelerated Alexa-like rolloff (with a quality color back end in the case of the emotive color variants). You can get Day, and shoot day balanced lighting indoors (gels etc.)

@tihon84 How do you like the V2 update?

thn.thumb.png.27e2b22b94f8ab6d4a8dd2a33ca68ed6.png

Hi, Sage.

Thank you, yes, this v2 is really what i need.

Great lumiance level after transform LUT!

one thing i have to chek: i think my grey card is not 42 ire:) i think its about 30... i will buy x-rite passport with true 42 and check it:)

3 hours ago, Wild Ranger said:

Hi is this update out?

Sage, can you send it to me to another email? I have the paypal registered to diegohumbertocarles@gmail.com, but i'm not using this anymore.

Can you send it to me at: matiasjars@hotmail.com 

Poor guy, you're still at V1?!

I just sent you an email. Great work btw. Blanco o Negro!

2 hours ago, tihon84 said:

Hi, Sage.

Thank you, yes, this v2 is really what i need.

Great lumiance level after transform LUT!

one thing i have to chek: i think my grey card is not 42 ire:) i think its about 30... i will buy x-rite passport with true 42 and check it:)

That's tricky, I had the feeling, as it looked a bit on the bright side

V2 is crazy, I'm loving it. David L'Abbée - "But this is a total different camera now. Everything reacts differently. Now, harsh light is less of a problem… everytime some light touches something, it creates a beauty shot!  This is so inspiring! It’s really film like"

I had a pretty cool idea for the start of a movie today

2 hours ago, austinchimp said:

I applied a simple curve to this in Premiere. Brought down the mids and lows and it looks much better I think. Great colour.

Hey austinchimp, how do you like V2?

By the way, I want to recommend to all Premiere users to avoid the Lumetri Luma curve. Instead use the Shadows/Midtones/Highlights sliders of the Color wheels section, or Obsolete RGB Curves. This was added to the PDF for V2. One of the elements of the project is to identify anything which will compromise the color pipeline, to ensure everyone is getting the best image, despite NLE.

When I was coding the color engine, I implemented a 'common sense' algorithm to alter luma. It turned out, I had a lot to learn. The common sense algorithm was distorting the color space, and I was distraught for two weeks trying to figure out where I went wrong. It nearly destroyed me. I figured it out; that color and luma are intrinsically interlinked. A month later, in Premiere's Lumetri luma curve I recognized the same common sense algorithm. They didn't catch and fix it. The Color Wheel section's sliders are much better in this regard:

Luma Curve

luma.thumb.png.08ffb2883804bee528f8c26a845fea95.png

Shadows/Midtones/Highlights Sliders

wheels.thumb.png.504d655bbe1a761ea4138b4fb12cead7.png

- No color modification

2 hours ago, Sage said:

Hey austinchimp, how do you like V2?

Wow that's a big difference. I do find myself frustrated by Premiere's grading controls but can't bring myself to move to Resolve seeing as my day job requires me to be fast at Premiere.

Due to work commitments I haven't had much time to play with GHa much yet. Haven't even cut together a single video using it. I also have my Bolex D16 lying around unused these days too - must make time for more personal creative projects! :-(

If only Panasonic would allow internal LUT recording, then we could replace the Panny colour science with GHa straight out of the camera.

@austinchimp Its pretty crazy, right? Anything but Lumetri curves, hehe. 

Your v1 shots were great. No need to worry, I wanted to make sure Premiere could match Resolve in quality for GHa, via PREs and Lumetri documentation. It's other NLEs where I have a blindspot (that I would like to patch up eventually)

The good thing about post GHa, is that you can correct WB - if it's baked in, then you've got to get WB right in the moment

Created an account to say this. This LUT package is amazing.  Recently got into Luma Fusion editing on the iPad and I am getting amazing colors with both the daylight and tungsten LUTs.  Not having VLOG footage to test with, I mimicked VLOG by compressing the levels, lowering saturation and lowering gamma.  All done inside the app.  Not scientific and very rough mimic of VLOG. I must say that the richness, depth and fine tonality of colors just using the LUTS on mimicked VLOG shot in natural profile on the GH5 is amazing.  You are doing excellent work!  Thank you.

10 hours ago, SpaceBrewed said:

Created an account to say this. This LUT package is amazing.  Recently got into Luma Fusion editing on the iPad and I am getting amazing colors with both the daylight and tungsten LUTs.  Not having VLOG footage to test with, I mimicked VLOG by compressing the levels, lowering saturation and lowering gamma.  All done inside the app.  Not scientific and very rough mimic of VLOG. I must say that the richness, depth and fine tonality of colors just using the LUTS on mimicked VLOG shot in natural profile on the GH5 is amazing.  You are doing excellent work!  Thank you.

Thank you for the kind words SpaceBrewed. I really appreciate that. I hope you'll be getting VLog? The conversion is effectively perfect when used in spec, spare far red infrared variability under tungsten.

The potential of the LUT format has been largely untapped. I intended to raise the standard bar for what is expected; probably many will assume its an approximation, or ballpark job etc. I would have been among them before :)

I posted this on DVX but may get a faster response here.

I purchased this but am new to log(vlog is my first log format and the gh5 is my first 10bit camera).

If your lut says max IRE 80, Sould I set zebras to 75 or 80. Anything over 80 will clip the highlights, right? Skintones will still be around 60-65 ire on zebras? 

Sorry for the newbie questions. From the few tests I’ve done so far I’m really liking the “soft” variant.

Edit: Sage answered on DVX.  

Answer: middle gray card and anything over 80 ire is clipped.

OLPF Emulation Raw Side-by-Side (GH5 & Alexa Tungsten)

Stills Only Download

Raw Footage Download (Raw Footage - Use Resolve for Correct Arri ProRes Color)

Rough OLPF Emulation Settings Used Here:

DaVinci Resolve
- 2nd Layer with Duplicated Video (including Color Effects)
- Upper Layer Opacity: 40 (Normal)
- Upper Layer Gaussian Blur Effect: .17
Adobe Premiere
- 2nd Layer with Duplicated Video (including Color Effects)
- Upper Layer Opacity: 20 (Normal)

- Upper Layer Gaussian Blur Effect: 6

Use additional blur layers with altered settings to achieve more fine localized diffusion

Alexa LogC + Emotive

5afe30cb1f25d_1AlexaEmotiveColor.thumb.png.d97609fdb53d76786d46bb485860fdbf.png

GH5 + Emotive (OLPF Sim)

5afe30dbe4563_2GH5GHaTungsten(ResolveEmulatedOLPF).thumb.png.b9a74903942e713508ddb7e94ff7285a.png

GH5 + Emotive (No Sim)

5afe30ec94ebb_3GH5GHaTungsten(NoOLPFEmulation).thumb.png.6c84c4aa2fb70773b92367bb3136bd01.png

5 hours ago, Sage said:

OLPF Emulation Raw Side-by-Side (GH5 & Alexa Tungsten)

brilliant. Can't wait to try this out. The over sharpened and processed look from the GH5 is the main thing that keeps it inferior to proper cinema cameras in my opinion.

Looks very close in your examples. Thanks for your work!

2 hours ago, austinchimp said:

brilliant. Can't wait to try this out. The over sharpened and processed look from the GH5 is the main thing that keeps it inferior to proper cinema cameras in my opinion.

Looks very close in your examples. Thanks for your work!

Pretty cool, huh? Its effectively the exact inverse of a sharpening routine, which is why sharpening seems to disappear. This was a single layer to minimize rendering impact. Multiple variants can achieve more subtle results. I'd recommend doing it on the final exported video, titles and all, as it makes them more organic and saves render time

One better - you actually only need the base clip in Resolve (no second Opacity layer needed)

Just set Gaussian Blur 'Blend' to 0.640, and the Strength at 0.170, as before. Also - Border Type to 'Replicate' for good housekeeping.

5afec39a10a1c_DROLPFSettings.JPG.323f8227e5f188d4f4ad87cdf86bd47e.JPG

*Note: these settings are for working in a 2K timeline (I shoot 2K All-I, and the Alexa C is 2K), they may change per NLE when at 4K (Also 0.160 might be preferable for detail resolving)

3 hours ago, Sage said:

One better - you actually only need the base clip in Resolve (no second Opacity layer needed)

Just set Gaussian Blur 'Blend' to 0.640, and the Strength at 0.170, as before. Also - Border Type to 'Replicate' for good housekeeping.

5afec39a10a1c_DROLPFSettings.JPG.323f8227e5f188d4f4ad87cdf86bd47e.JPG

*Note: these settings are for working in a 2K timeline (I shoot 2K All-I, and the Alexa C is 2K), they may change per NLE when at 4K (Also 0.160 might be preferable for detail resolving)

I usually use Blur (0.53) as a node and change the gain to like 0.3.
Will try your solution as well. 

On a sidenode. Just tried out the Sony A7 III earlier. At -7 there is absolutely no sharpening. Wondering why Panasonic forces it on us?

59 minutes ago, deezid said:

I usually use Blur (0.53) as a node and change the gain to like 0.3.
Will try your solution as well. 

On a sidenode. Just tried out the Sony A7 III earlier. At -7 there is absolutely no sharpening. Wondering why Panasonic forces it on us?

Right? They can say, "Our camera gives the best detail"  :)

With the OLPF side-by-side, you can really dial it in to get the Alexa aesthetic - here are new settings that are even better than the previous for the single node approach:

5aff06a7243c8_DROLPFSettings.JPG.ca1b1940450b1cdd9b357a0207484960.JPG